Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Jack Phillips

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Mac G wrote: Hero?? Please. I am sorry anyone single person on that ship perished that night. I really am. But Jack Phillips was NOT a hero. If he had taken the ice warnings from the Mesaba and the Californian, they might not have crashed into that Iceberg. Or at least reduced speed. Instead he brushes it off. Then jokes around until they realize she's certain to go down. He did stay at his post until he could no longer. I do give him and Bride credit for that. But what about chief engineer Bell, and countless others down below in the generator room who keep her power going until the very end?? Talk about being brave. Those men are hero's. What about Isidor Straus who was offered a seat, but refused? Thomas Andrews? These men who are hero's. What about those people in third class who were never given a chance?

Excuse me Mac G, but if you can produce for me a rule or regulation in 1912 saying that Phillips violated his duties by not sending those two messages to the bridge, then I might believe you.
The marconi service was for the paying passengers first in 1912, it was not employed by the White Star Line. Messages regarding navigation were seen as a secondary matter in many ways.
Now, with that said, messages comming into the marconi station can be marked as an "urgent message for the commander" at the beginning of the submission, which Mesaba and Californian messages were not. The messages on the contrary were just warnings - "hey, we saw ice here", "hey, we have stopped for the night". They did not imply urgency. We can say now that if would have been nice for Smith to have seen the last two messages but that is about it. Can you blame Phillips or Bride for something that was a secondary responsibility to their job? When they were backed up with personal messages?
And believe me, it was not as if Smith did not see a single other ice warning which implied that sometime before midnight on the 14th, Titanic might encounter ice.
I totally agree with you in that the engineers are some of the greatest heros. But the fact of the matter is, if Jack was not at that key tapping out CQD MGY, those engineers who died would have really died for nothing because nobody would have been saved!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/4/17 14:33
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  sianyystar
      sianyystar

From
Group:
Registered Users
John George ("Jack") Phillips was born on April 11, 1887 in Godalming, Surrey, England and lived with his parents and two sisters above a drapers shop on Farncome High Street. His parents slept below in a back room while Jack and his sisters had the 2 bedrooms upstairs. After graduating from grammar school, Jack passed his Civil Service examinations and began work as a telegraphist in the local post office.

This site has pictures of what used to be his old grammer school and where he worked.
Also pictures at bottom of page of his memorial etc

http://www.hf.ro/jack.htm

Another page you may find interesting, it is more personal and talks of his reputation as a 'cad' and how his parents wished to see him married. Also talks about his relationship with Beatrice Fallon.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/7937/jphillips.html

I like to know the personal stories too and as for whatever happened that night we will never trully know, a young man's life was cut short and if he made any errors this was simply one of many.
Posted on: 2007/4/17 14:45
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, but think about it. He had taken messages early in the morning(Caronia, Noordam) to the bridge. Yet 3 very important messages never made the bridge. Why? (example) If your a wireless on a bus, and I tell you the bridge is out 5 miles down the road, and your job is to just rely the messages of the passengers. And you know this is ahead of you...now it becomes unimportant? I never said what he did after 12:15am wasn't heroic. It was to an extreme. But understand his actions before then. Jack KNEW of ice right ahead of Titanic. I can understand he was tired and what not. But his actions could have very well caused the Titanic to hit that ice. That is if the officers had know of this danger ahead and reduced the speed/altered the course. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/4/17 15:12
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I can see your point in a way. However, you are still missing fact that those last two or three messages were seen as secondary importance, especially the way they were transmitted (not urgent).

Yes, Bride and Phillips had other messages sent to the bridge. However, they had a moment to do it. If you do not know, the marconi unit broke down for some time on the 14th. Phillips and bride worked franticly to get it going again, it took hours!!! Now, you have to think about it from their perspective. "My way of making a living has just been fixed after hours of being useless. A whole pile of PAYING passenger mail is waiting for me to transmit to cape race". THE SHIP IS NOT PAYING FOR MY SERVICES, THE MARCONI COMPANY IS. I need to get my rear in gear and send these highly influential people's messages before they make a complaint!!!".

Also, if there is not fixed message as "urgent for the captains eyes" (as the other messages were also not marked), then what does a marconi officer know about lattitude and logitude. It probably looked to them just like the other messages they delivered. Furthermore, you could speculate that maybe Phillips and bride thought these messages were telling them what they already knew (that ice was ahead of Titanic), and indeed, the officers knew that!.

The senior officers as well as the Captain still new about the other ice warnings. They knew about them for days before the collision. They still kept up the speed on the 14th. Also, you have to consider if the bridge did recieve those messages, would the captain slowed the ship down? Wireless was a new toy, yes, a toy back then. Old captains like Smith were piloting ships across the Atlantic at full speed for years without wireless, and ships were not sinking left and right from icebergs.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/4/17 16:24
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
The wireless broke down on Saturday night and was fixed around 4 or 5am. I know both stayed up all night and fixed the problem. So Sunday morning, if they were behind. Why take other messages if you are behind? They had 9 messages, only 1 wasn't recorded. That was the final one from the Californian. If people complain, so be it. The fact the Mesaba(sp) and Californian both sent messages warning of "heavy pack ice and ice fields and being stopped." You'd think if he took the time to write them down, he would send them to the bridge. He had Bride to help him. And they were stationed very close to the bridge. Jotting down an ice warning would take only a few moments. And if people complained, they had a valid excuse. The machine broke down for hours....It was April, ice in the sea lanes was very common and should have been taken into consideration. It wasn't, and now we see the end result. Just my thoughts.

Posted on: 2007/4/17 21:19
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I will stop making excuses for them. I do believe that Phillips acted rude to Californian, telling him to shut up shut up, im busy. But again, the question must be asked, would Smith have slowed the ship down if he got either the Mesaba or Californian message. Lightoller said he would have, but Lightoller did his share of lying during the inquiry.

However, I think you are looking at this in the context of modern times- Would of, could of, should of,.

You say that Thomas Andrews was a hero? Why? Because he helped direct some people in the boats and went into shock in the lounge?

You could make an argument that Andrews was to blame for the loss of life, being a member of Harland and Wolff who wanted to acomodate fully with the wishes for White Star, and therfore, give lifeboat capacity for only half on board, fully knowing that the regulations of 1912 on a ships that size were out of date.

But I will not make that argument, because of the mindset back then. Titanic was "pratically unsinkable" and there was no real worries over "lifeboat capacity" or in the wireless operators case "field ice". Also, the ice conditions for 1912 were a little more extreme because the winter was aparently mild for that year.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/4/17 23:30
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't know if Smith would have. I would like to think if someone knows there's a field of ice ahead of you. But we won't know. As for acting rude, not really. If you look at the inquiry, Evans said he took no offense to Phillips cutting him off. It was actually quite typical in those days.

Why was Andrews? Well let me ask you what makes a hero? Maybe you are right. Maybe he isn't a hero. I guess since he knew the Titanic's fate, went through to get people out to the lifeboats. Then went through to try and close portholes to make her last longer. Then in his own sincerity went to wait for the end when there was no more to do. Maybe you are right, maybe he isn't a hero. But it sure says something about his character to me.

Now why is Jack Phillips a hero? Because he simply was doing his job by sending CQD? Then punched a stoker for trying to take his lifebelt??

Now lets look at Mr. Shepard and Mr. Harvey when the bulkhead between 5 & 6 collapsed. Barrett tells us Harvey told him to make a run for it and Harvey headed for the pump room where Shepard was, injured. Both men perished. Is going after a friend when he could have climbed up the stairs heroic? He could have said "No way I could have saved him and dragged him up the stairs...." He didn't. He didn't abandon his fellow worker and friend. To me, that's heroic.

Perhaps we just have different perspectives my friend...

Posted on: 2007/4/18 1:29
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Definately, and I do enjoy the debate! No harsh feelings at all That is what is so facinating about this disaster. People have so different perspective on what happened, who behaved like what, and so on (its almost as mystifying as trying to put together what happened that night).

Indeed, what does make a hero? Have you seen the movie "Flag of our Fathers?" If not, the main point of the movie is that we make heros for our own need to have something that is bigger and better than ourselves. And furthermore, people do not see themselves as heros (such as the soldiers on Iwo Jima, who were just doing their job).

I always thought Harold Bride was someone to admire (after the sinking), being horribly frost bitten and sick, and at the same time helping Thomas Cottom to the point of sheer dropdead exhaustion sending the mainland the precious names of the people who survived to waiting family members.

But at the same time, he never talked about Titanic aparently ever again after his interview in New York. He just became a traveling sailsman and vanished into obscurity. He possibly may have lived with the thought of not getting those last messages delivered. May have had the same guilt as lookout Fredrick Fleet had, that poor soul who hung himself!

But I do agree with you with calling the entire engineering department heros. Staying in the bowles of the ship even after Chief Engineer Bell released them. Or Shepard and Harvey in boiler rooms 5 and 6. When I hear John 15:13 from the Bible, I always think of those men - "Greater love has no man than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends".
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/4/18 3:10
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
Oh Good! I was hoping not sound like a jerk...because I'm not trying to be. Yes, that's also interesting to hear different facts about who was where, when, why and how? I find every single thing about the Titanic interesting.

My main obsession comes in with the Titanic and the Californian though. If anything is more interesting than that in this whole tragedy, I don't know what is. In fact, if I could ever go back in time to that fateful night, it wouldn't be to the Titanic. It would be on bridge of the Californian from about 10:50pm to 5:30am. Just to see what idea's were discussed, what was seen, and who got the ball rolling with the mystery ship on the horizon? I'm not really a Lordite, but I do think they were very wrongfully blamed for the lose of lives. Need less to say, I think Lord Mersey, was wrong in his conclusion about them. I mainly side with the Californian when it comes to many matters.

Posted on: 2007/4/18 3:49
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I totally agree with you about the Californian. I always thought it would be interesting to go back in time in a helocopter and just fly around the area and just see how many ships were in the area. Try to find out if the Sampson was really between the Californian and Titanic.

From what I remember, (Stone was it?) on Californian said that the rockets he saw seem to come a great distance beyond the lights he saw. That, and the fact that the ship he seemed to see only had like a mastheadlight and a green running light instead of a ship that I heard described as "time square after dark".

However, Ernest Gill does raise up another aspect stating that that was exactly what he saw. But then again, historians have speculated he made that up for a good story for reporters.

And, if I remember correctly, the ship on the horizon dissapear roughly at the same time on Titanic as it did on the Californian (sometime after 1.00).
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/4/18 14:31
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.