Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews
Jakob Milling?

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
I just wonder if anyone know about a Dane named Jakob Milling? He was onboard the Titanic and was one of the perished. He was from a Danish island called Fyn. If anyone know just a little about him, please let me know. Thank you.
Posted on: 2007/4/16 8:59
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  sianyystar
      sianyystar
Re: Jakob Milling?

From
Group:
Registered Users
He was one of 14 Danes on board the Titanic and out of that 14 only 2 survived the disaster: 45-year-old Jenny Hansen and 19-year-old Carla Jensen.

Jakob (Jacob) Christopher Milling was a 48-year-old locomotive superintendent with the Danish Railways, Jacob Christian Milling, was one of the 14 Danes on board the Titanic. He was going to America to study modern engine constructions and travelled on 2nd class. On the date of departure, the 10th of April, he sent a postcard from Southampton to his wife: "Dear Augusta. This is the last you will hear from me from this side. I may send you a wireless if it is not too expensive. I am staying at the Railway Hotel. It is not cheap, but convenient. From my window I can see the ship in the dock. How are the old folks? Give my regards to them and the children. Best wishes to all of you from Jacob."

He sent the "wireless" on 14th April, a telegram with the coded message ABANAPAS which in translation meant "I am fine, calm weather, ship excellent, having fun, good travel company, lovely journey". A certain Miss Edwina Trout later said that Malling had talked enthusiastically about the telegram at the dinner table: "Imagine – I am in the middle of the ocean, hundreds of miles away, and in a few hours my wife has got my greeting". The very same evening at 23.40 hrs Titanic hit the iceberg. Milling met Trout during the next hours, broken-hearted by the thought of "my poor wife whom I just sent a telegram saying that all is well". Later she saw him descend into a lifeboat wearing a life jacket and in good spirits.

Malling’s dead body was found and taken to Halifax from where it was shipped to Copenhagen. His Ashes are buerried at Assistens Kirkegard, Kapelvej, Copenhagen, Denmark.
On the list of recovered bodies he is listed as number 271.

Try this link;
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/514/

Mr Jakob (Jacob) Christopher Milling
Posted on: 2007/4/16 22:55
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you so much for your replying, sianyystar. Your research helped me a lot. He was a relative to my friend from school. We really didn't think that there was any informations about him, my self I've never heard about a Milling onboard the Titanic. My class mate got very happy for the informations you found.
Again, thank you
Posted on: 2007/4/17 13:14
  •  sianyystar
      sianyystar

From
Group:
Registered Users
You are very welcome.............
Must of been a lovely surprise to see a photograph too then!
Posted on: 2007/4/17 14:23
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
yes, it was indeed I could see from the encyclopedia-site that he must have been a quite rich man becaue of the effects they found on him when his body was recovered. I think it's very interesting.
Posted on: 2007/4/18 9:24
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.