Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Kathi
      Kathi
Re: Julie - A Life So Short

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
At the door of the captain's room she stopped and took a deep breath. Then she lifted her hand to knock at the wooden door. The hectic voices inside became silent and someone shouted "Come in". She stepped into the room and saw six men sit at a big desk. There was a big map of the ship on it. She recognised the man she had brought a drink half an hour before. It was the man that had jumped to his feet quickly after the shudder. He looked at her in amazement, then he turned to another man. He seemed to be the oldest, and everyone in the room looked at him respectfully. "I know that girl, sir. She's a waitress." He watched Julie derogatorily. "So, what do you want, girl? We're quite busy, even without your problems." Julie cleared her throat. She took a step forward and said "Sir, I am sorry for bothering you. But I just wanted to make sure that you all know... Well, I think Titanic will sink. I felt the shudder, and I noticed the ship doesn't lay horizontally anymore." She looked at them all frightenedly. Nobody said a word. After what seemed to be an hour to Julie, one of the men began to laugh. He was an uniform-wearing officier and he laughed and laughed until the captain looked at him angrily. "Sorry, sir" he said. "It's only - damn, we are sitting here, talking about what to do, and then a little waitress appears and tells us what nobody of us wants to realise - this ship will sink. Straight down to the bottom of the Atlantic, and the fish will eat our uniforms in a few hours. Why are you all so unrealistic?" "Calm down, Mr Murdoch, we can't be sure at the moment" the guy they had called "captain" said sharply. "Oh yes, we can" the man who had talked to Julie first interrupted. "Like I said... six compartments have been damaged. You can see it here..." He pointed at the map. "I constructed the ship. I know Titanic, maybe better than anyone else here." He swallowed. "She cannot stay afloat with six water-filled compartments. It is just impossible. Titanic is said to be unsinkable, but..." He sighed. Everyone looked at the captain, even Julie watched him interestedly. The man looked very old and tired at that moment. "Alright, then... Mr Lightoller, go into the wireless room and tell them to send signals to other ships. I hope one that is nearby answers." He stood up.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 20:15
Create PDF from Post Print

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
actually i did mean "S.H.I.T." now you just said another... " D.A.M.N."
Posted on: 2007/6/5 22:44
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
I am really sorry, my characters are kind of rude! LoL

Posted on: 2007/6/10 16:25
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie

From
Group:
Registered Users
its really good.
Posted on: 2007/6/11 4:46
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
kathi your writing is awesome.us i never seen such good writing.us you become a good when you are olded or write movie scripts for me
Posted on: 2007/6/11 4:51
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you *blushes*

He stood up, and so did another man with a thin moustache next to him. Julie hadn't heard him say one word yet. His face was pale, and everyone could see the fear in his eyes when he said: "Mr Smith... don't tell me this is true... Titanic is unsinkable, we're safe here, aren't we? What about the company now? This could be the end of the White Star Line!" "Frankly said, Mr Ismay", Mr Andrews said coldly, "I don't care about the company now. What is most important for me now is to get us many passengers as possible into the lifeboats." He left the room angrily, and Julie heard him shout some orders on deck. All the other men went on deck now, too, and after one minute she was all alone in the bureau. She sat down at a hard chair and looked at the map carefully. Someone had arked the first six compartments with a pencil. Suddenly she saw her own cabin, and remembered Henry: He was still there, not knowing what was going on! She went on deck and sprinted down the stairs.
When she came into the room, she noticed Henry sit on the only tiny chair next to the table. He put a pencil on one side of the table and watched it slide down again again. He had heard her open the door, catched the pencil deftly and turned around.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 16:29
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
Oops did I say arked? I meant marked, of course.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 17:27
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
He looked at her relievedly. "Jules! You're there! My god, I was worried about you; where have you been?" Julie sat down on her bed. She felt tired. She sighed. "Well, I was in the bureau of the captain... I saw him, Mr Andrews, three officiers and Mr Ismay. They know Titanic is going to sink. She's not unsinkable, like everyone said, and we are maybe the only people who know that - apart from the six men who were in the captain's room, of course." "And so... ?" "They wanted to warn the other passengers, and to get as many people as possible into the boats. But I think this won't be too easy... maybe they won't believe them." "Why not?" Henry had jumped to his feet. He looked a little upset. "They don't want to die, do they?" "Of course they don't", Julie sighed. "But they are all so sure this ship is unsinkable... it seems so safe to them, you know?" "Okay. But what can we do for these people now?" At first, Julie didn't answer. She looked to the window but she didn't seem to see it. It looked as though she was in another world. "Julie?", Henry asked quietly. She didn't answer. He touched her shoulder. "Jules, I know this is hard. I can understand you're afraid. But... come on, we're almost the only people who know about it. So what shall we do now? You're the one who knows better about ships, remember?" He shaked her softly and Julie looked at him suprisedly as though she hadn't known he was there. "You're right. Come on, we'll tell Charlie and the other guys in the kitchen first." She opened the door.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 16:10
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
She opened the door and left the cabin quickly. Henry followed her. They entered into the kitchen and saw the waiters and cooks prepare the breakfast for the next day. "Better to do these things in the evenings or at night", Charlie once told Henry. "You want to sleep a few hours, right?" It looked as though nobody had told them about what would happen yet. Julie tried to get to the oven at the opposite side of the kitchen. She had to avoid three waiters with piles of plates. Henry was behind her, trying not to loose her in that chaos. Finally they reached Charlie who was preparing small bread rolls for the first class passengers. "Charlie?", Julie asked. "Can we talk to you for a minute? Somewhere where it's quiet?" The man's eyes looked at the unfinished bread rolls, then into Julie's suppliant eyes. "Okay. But only one minute, I have to bake these and I have to make some cakes, too. For the breakfast, you know?", he said while he went to a quiet corner of the dining hall with the two friends. "But Charlie!", Julie said loudly. "I was in the captain's bureau. I know Titanic will sink; and so do the captain, Mr Ismay, Mr Andrews and some officiers." She wanted to go on, but the cook interrupted her. "What do you mean by 'Titanic' will sink?! She's unsinkable, isn't she?" "No, she isn't", Henry suddenly said. "I know she's made of iron. And iron can sink. If there's too much water in the compartments..." Charlie nodded. "I know, I know. But what to do know?" "I don't know", Julie said slowly. "First, we should tell as many people as possible about what happened. We'll try to explain that Titanic is indeed unsinkable, okay?" "Alright. I will tell the other cooks and the waiters and so on, and you, Julie, go to Mr Andrews - he seems to be the most reasonable man aboard at the moment. Ask him whether you should go and wake up the passengers. That's important because you might get into trouble without asking first. And if you don't ask... maybe nothing will happen then. Henry, you can wake up the other crew members. Some can help, and others can just try to get a seat in one of he lifeboats. Come on. And take care of yourselves." He hugged them, then he went away quickly, back into the kitchen.

Please tell me if anything sounds strannge to you, ok? Thanks

Posted on: 2007/6/12 18:22
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
Henry was afraid. At first, he had tried to hide it. He hadn't wanted the others to panic. He had explained everything to them calmly. They had listened quietly. After he had finished, there was silence for several seconds. Then a thirty-year-old stewardess, Nelly, asked: "Okay, but why can you be that sure? Who has told you about it?" "Well", Henry said slowly. "My friend Julie was in the captain's office. She heard him and the officiers talk about everything, and they said they'd warn the passengers. We wanted to help. You know, Julie thinks maybe the first class passengers won't believe it. Titanic is said to be the safest ship ever built - and maybe she is . But she's not unsinkable!" The crowd became louder. People were whispering to their neighbours. "And by the way", Henry went on loudly, "we think that it will take quite a long time to convince the first class passengers to get into the lifeboats. Time we don't have. Meanwhile, many second and third class passengers and crew members could be saved." Many of the crew members Henry had waken up nodded. One man in the backrow even said: "He's right!" Henry heard him and went on: "We will wait for Julie who is looking for Mr Andrews to ask him what to do. She'll be back in several minutes." He said down on a hard chair in the corner of the dining room and sighed. They couldn't loose any more time.
Five minutes later, Julie arrived in the hall. She seemed to be very exhausted. "I couldn't find Mr Andrews", she said in a low voice, looking as though she was about to cry. "I met Mr Lightoller on the bridge, and he said I should wake up the crew and tell them to wake up the passengers and to send them to the A-deck. 'Women and children first', was what he said." Henry took a deep breath. He stood up and told the others to be quiet. "Julie met Mr Lightoller. He said we all should wake up the passengers and tell them to wake up the passengers. Come on, everyone goes to the corridor he or she is responsible for." The crowd dissolved. Some of them went right down to the decks with the third class cabins, some to the second class passengers and others to the suites of the first class passengers. Julie and Henry wondered what to do whe they saw Charlie arrive at the door, quickly breathing and holding a hand to his heart. He seemed to have just run two miles without breaks. "I told 'em what's goin' to happen and they went crazy", he gasped. "I think they all ran up to the decks. Ouch!" He pressed his hand to his heart. "Damn, I'm too old for this job." The cook tried to smile. "But what does it matter? We'll die anyway." "Don't say things like that", Julie said. She had seen Henry's face become white at Charlie's words. "Of course you will live. Now, come on, we will look for the cooks and the waiters, okay?"
It came out that the men and women from the kitchen hadn't reached the decks. They had changed their choice midway. Some of them had still wanted to get a seat in the lifeboats, but as they were at the wrong side of the ship, they couldn't get one. "Mr Murdoch on the starboard side lets men into the boats", was the rumour Julie, Henry and Charlie heard as they went on deck. Henry was shaking as he went out of the warm dining room. His face went even whiter as he looked down the hull. The deck was about twenty metres above the water level. He looked into the others' eyes. Julie had a determined expression on her face. Charlie looked just very exhausted and tired. As though he had already given up... "Don't say things like that", Julie had said. "Of course you will live." A cold breeze touched his arms. Did Julie really believe her own words? He looked into her eyes once more and knew she did. They went down the ship, right to the bow which lay a little higher in the water than the rest of the ship. What would happen if it raised more and more? Henry was sure Julie knew that, but he didn't want to ask. He was afraid of the answer.
That was a really new experience for him: the pure fear, running through his venes, paralyzing his thoughts. He had always been the "cool guy". He never cried. Not even as a small child. It was as though his eyes wouldn't be able to produce tears. Even when his parents - he didn't remember them - died, he didn't cry although he was so sad he thought it wouldn't be worth living anymore for a few weeks after their death.
When his uncle told him his friend William was going to be first officier aboard this liner, he had thought it would be his big chance to escape the boring town Southampton. He would go to New York, to America, the continent that was called the "New World" where a good worker could get rich as fast as you blinked.
A woman with a baby in her arms ran past him. Tears flew down her cheeks and she pressed her child to her heart. Her lips moved quickly. She seemed to whisper something - maybe a prayer. Henry had never believed there was a god, but Julie did. She thanked God for what he did to her every evening, and she pleased him to save her family, especially her dead father.
They had reached the bow. Only a few passengers stood there. Julie went to a steward and asked him where the others were. "They went in again", he answered. "Think they found it too cold here." Then he went down the deck, to the lifeboats.

Yesterday I sat down at my desk and typed and typed and couldn't stop... I wrote all this in less than an hour. I hope someone finds it interesting.

Posted on: 2007/6/17 10:35
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.