•  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912
Titanic Perfume

From
Group:
Registered Users
Posted this in another forum but incase anyone is interested:

At last! The smell of maritime disaster

Southampton liner Titanic will be resurrected at a science festival today.

An audience at the Edinburgh International Science Festival will be among the first members of the public to smell the perfume, which was found near the wreck of the liner in 2000.

It was recreated by perfumers who established a "fingerprint" of the chemical composition of the Titanic perfume, then found an exact match for the fragrance.

Perfume historian David Pybus described the smell as a mixture of rose and violet.

He said: "It is certainly reminiscent of some of the fine fragrances on the market today."

Mr Pybus, known as the Indiana Jones of the perfume world, was alerted to the perfume's existence when one of the 65 vials discovered on the Atlantic bed broke during excavation, making the whole of the recovery ship smell of roses.

He explained: "The conditions in the debris field near the sunken Titanic were ideal for preservation.

"The perfumes were found in perfect condition and the quality is unsurpassed, even today."

The original scent was created by Adolphe Saalfield, a German Jewish immigrant who lived in Manchester.

Although Saalfield survived the sinking of Titanic, traumatised by what had happened he never resumed his business and died 12 years later.

Ironically the disaster that destroyed Saalfield's dream has preserved his fragrance. It is be launched as part of a range of retro-perfumes in the second half of this year.

The Titanic left Belfast, where it was built, for Southampton on April 2, 1912, and sank 13 days later, with the loss of more than 1,500 lives.

Last week a menu from the first meal served aboard the Titanic sold at auction for 30224351,000.

The menu was among four collections of memorabilia which went under the hammer during the British Titanic Society's Convention held in Southampton.

http://go.fark.com/cgi/fark/go.pl?IDLink=908929&location=http://www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/southampton/news/SOTON_NEWS_NEWS3.html
Posted on: 2004/4/12 0:55
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
You wouldn't know if they're going to market it commercially would you? The idea of [i:c45a5ec0c5]Titanic[/i:c45a5ec0c5] perfume...I'd [i:c45a5ec0c5]love[/i:c45a5ec0c5] some.
Posted on: 2004/4/12 1:05
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
I would imagine they probably would. I mean anything for a buck these days.. But why would they try to recreate the smell just so people can smell it..seems to me it'd make more sense to recreate it and sell it as a perfume.. I think it'd actaully do pretty good.

There is titanic perfume out already, I've got a bottle but it's not in the scent as the one they're trying to recreate..I think it was something just created after the film came out..
Posted on: 2004/4/12 15:01
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Yea - roses and violets - I don't like sweet perfumes.
Posted on: 2004/4/12 20:37
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when they found the vials and there was some talk of making perfume and selling it. But, I never heard any more about it. I would buy it myself. Violets and roses sounds just beautiful.
Posted on: 2004/4/12 21:15
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
That was the movie perfume. There were a [i:cc237ef5a0]lot[/i:cc237ef5a0] of different scents in the vials found - I would imagine they'd be able to do several different perfumes and aftershaves from them.
Posted on: 2004/4/12 21:29
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
teamtuna,
Oh the movie perfume was roses and violets? Well, out of one of the vials would have to be something each person likes? Do you think any men would buy an aftershare fragrance from the Titanic?

Do you ever remember when they were selling ( I am not kidding) Titanic water, suppose to be from the area where Titanic sank, geez and Titanic air? on Ebay, no kidding?
Posted on: 2004/4/12 23:59
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Oh my gosh, I remember the Titanic water.... "Titanic water from where Titanic sank! The Atlantic ocean" or something like that... and i think someone bought one once too...don't remember though...

THere are some strange auctions on ebay..lol
Posted on: 2004/4/13 0:10

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
are you serious? Someone will buy water from the Atlantic ocean off ebay, but no one would buuyy my books?! That's just rediculous!
Posted on: 2004/4/13 0:59
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hey, I bought coal - sitting on my computer now as a matter of fact.
Posted on: 2004/4/13 1:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.