Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic news
  were there more ways to miss the iceberg other than the way they used the night of the sinking?

Browsing this Thread:   4 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  <3
      <3
were there more ways to miss the iceberg other than the way they used the night of the sinking?

From
Group:
Registered Users
this question might have been asked before, but i wanted to ask it anyway. although i already know the answer anyway, i wanted ur guys' opinion too just to see if they were different than my answers.
Posted on: 2007/7/10 15:41
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: were there more ways to miss the iceberg other than the way they used the night of the sinking?

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
The only way I have heard that they (possibly) could have missed the berg was if Murdoch turned to port and did not reverse the engines.

That is going under the assumption that there was enough time to actually reverse the engine.

It almost seems in some theories and accounts that Titanic was too close to the berg anyway to do any type of meneuver to clear the danger. (For example, lookout Fleet stated that the ship started turning to port when he was still on the phone warning the bridge about the berg).
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/7/10 16:16
  •  <3
      <3
Re: were there more ways to miss the iceberg other than the way they used the night of the sinking?

From
Group:
Registered Users
i know another...
they could've hit the berg head on and only flooded 1 or 2 compartments. which would mean that Titanic prolly wouldn't have sank! also, they could've kept all engines going forward at full speed still turning "hard-a-starboard". this is because it's said ship's turn faster when going full speed. and if they would've turned to prot they prolly would have hit the berg harder making the ship sink faster (i think).
Posted on: 2007/7/10 19:06
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
The big question is about those wathertight bulkheads really worked..? In 1915 (I think) Titanic's sister ship, Britannic was damaged in the bow and caused only two of her compartments floated and she sank even though the bulkheads was improved after the Titanic disaster.
But I sure do agree with you, titanic fanatic, that they should have kept sailing with full speed and turned away. We're talking about inches..
Posted on: 2007/7/11 18:30
  •  <3
      <3

From
Group:
Registered Users
the Titanic prolly would've sank if the Bulkheads went higher than E deck! they should've went up way farther!
Posted on: 2007/7/11 18:32
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.