Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
I'm either completely wrong or someone has just said it but I heard that the fourth funnel was fake. If his is true then they used the fourth one o mae the Titanic look bigger.

Again, someone has either said that already or I am completely wrong.
Posted on: 2003/9/11 23:55
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
the fourth funnel was a fake. mainly because Lusitania and mauretania both had four funnels, the Olympic, and Titanic were built to rival the Luisitania and Mauretania, so they didnt want to have one funnel less, and it looks nice and symmetrical with four funnels. i read somewhere aswell that having four funnels was a sign of good luck.
Posted on: 2003/9/13 19:46
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:04b05e9694="The Foxes"]According to my research the fourth funnel served three purposes.
1) To provide ventilation to the turbine engine room.
2) To provide ventilation of the cooking fumes from the 1st and 2nd class galleys.
3)For cosmetic reasons.
Does anyone agree?[/quote:04b05e9694]

I can't authenticate any of the above, and the only diagrams that I have been able to access have shown the fourth funnel directly above the 1st class smoking lounge. I doubt that the funnel served any purpose other than that put forth by Bess, however as I said, I don't really know. I did read that it was a fake, placed there to imitate other liners of the day even though the Titanic had more power than the other liners with only three power plants, the fourth funnel made it look more impressive. With the two reciprocating engines and one turbine, she was an awesome power house.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/27 16:42
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
4th Smokestack

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
According to plans that I have studied In various books, the 4th smokestack continued down through the decks. The information that I gave earlier I read in a reliable source some time ago. However I will have to check this up to see if perhaps I am going mad :) . When I get the time I will give the refferences. 8)
Posted on: 2003/9/27 20:05
  •  Mitsy
      Mitsy
Fourth Smokestack

From
Group:
Registered Users
In the book [i:0d9ab2f477]Ghost of Titanic [/i:0d9ab2f477]the author gives reason for this stack as being primarily for looks, but he does referr to one of the electricians using it as an escape route. It seems that it was only used for venting coal fumes from the kitchens, but it had a ladder that went about half way up the stack. Here there was a door that opened out on to the stack itself.
I am not sure the stack itself went down into the ship structure itself, but it appears by the diagrams that I have been able to look at and reading that I have done, that it only went as far as that main deck.
I hope that it helps, but remember that this is only my opinion given the research that I have done.
Posted on: 2003/10/29 19:49

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
1. how do you get the real necklace out of Sasha's ornament thingy?
2. I"ve gotten off the ship with the painting, the Rubiyat and the notebook. ( the trick is, when you go up the smokestack to get the notebook and the colonel asks for it back, give it to him. He'll shoot you, but you'll live. Then go to his room. He'll leave the notebook with you while you try to defuse a bomb. Don't forget to get it off the bed though. Just cheat and take the key, it'll explode, but you'll have the option to give up...do that...and you'll have all three things... )
Posted on: 2003/11/15 14:19
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.