Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912
Titanic soap??

From
Group:
Registered Users
Which soap was used on the Titanic?? I know the Vinolia Soap was used in First class but I saw on a site a mention of Pears Soap??? Was wondering which one it was or both or if the Pears soap was another class??

Anyone know?
Posted on: 2004/5/27 0:01
Create PDF from Post Print

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
okay, I'd like to consider I know a lot about Titanic......but...soap is not on my list of things to know.....is that a for real question? LOL....and may I ask why it is your wondering that? Is just so, out there and like...kinda odd...that's all. :)
Posted on: 2004/5/27 5:37
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Yes it's a for real question. I'm going to do my bathroom in a nautical theme and I found where I can get the Vinolia Soap (for display purposes only ofcourse) but since I'd seen on another Titanic site about Pears soap as well I was wondering..
Posted on: 2004/5/27 15:46

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
ohhh,, okay, I see now. When I first read your post I thought you were nuts....LOL
Posted on: 2004/5/28 22:16
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Rose, I never heard of the Pears Soap. I thought the only soap used on Titanic was Viola Soap?

I also have the Viola Soap and a small country shop in Vermont sells it. Doesn't the Viola Soap signs that are common on Ebay, say it is the only soap used on Titanic or am I wrong?
Posted on: 2004/5/29 0:32
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Rosie
I got online and found this:

(Not to be confused with the "Vinolia" brand on sale in Belgium and Holland, which is sold under the `Tres Chic` brand name)
This is a "Pears" soap, makers of the famous "Pears Pure Transparent Soap".
"Vinolia" 240 TITANIC Luxury bath soap is the same soap240 supplied to all the first class passengers and used throughout all the public rooms on the RMS "TITANIC" and the "OLYMPIC" Both ships belonging to the WHITE STAR LINE.
The shape and fragrance has remained the same to this day. See the original advertisement on this page for the WHITE STAR LINE showing the "TITANIC" and "Vinolia" Luxury bath soap.
Much interest has been shown in "Vinolia" Luxury bath soap due to It's connection with the "TITANIC"
Here for the connoisseur and enthusiast is a nostalgic reminder of the luxury and fragrance of days past.
This ad along with a few other sites mentions Pear's n a few places along with Titanic and Vinolia, but does not say Pear's was actually used on Titanic.
Posted on: 2004/5/29 0:55
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hm, wonder why the girl has the Pears soap in her collection instead of the Vinolia...

Ah well, saves me money, 3 bars of the Vinolia is 15bucks then to add Pears soap.. I'll stick with the Vinolia since we all know it was used on titanic..

Thanks Betty, that was of great help!!
Posted on: 2004/5/29 2:24
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Both soaps are widely available - there is also a Pears Vinola soap, just to be confusing. Try http://www.jelleyjar.com/store/bath.html for that, or http://www.caswellmassey.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=407 for the original Vinola. Pears is available (surprise suprise!) at your local CVS, or try http://www.thesoapbar.com/shop/pears.html . I'm a sworn Vinola freak, it really does [i:c23738591f]wonderful[/i:c23738591f] things for your complexion.
Posted on: 2004/6/1 13:28
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thomas Pears (First Class passenger) was a member of the family that produced Pears soap; maybe that's where the rumor got started that Pears soap was used on board the Titanic.

All my best,

Tippoo Tib
Posted on: 2004/6/1 20:36
  •  freitas4
      freitas4

From Temecula, California city of red light runners
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:18ed0802c0="TippooTib"]Thomas Pears (First Class passenger) was a member of the family that produced Pears soap; maybe that's where the rumor got started that Pears soap was used on board the Titanic.[/quote:18ed0802c0]

You beat me to the punch TippooTib. I have heard of Thomas Pears also and my conclusion was going to be the same as yours.
Posted on: 2004/6/1 23:17
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.