Poster Thread
  •  Lightholler
      Lightholler
Ship of Lost Dreams

From Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

Just from reading a lot of the posted views I have to say that a lot of people have the vision of the Titanic as a dream cruise ship. This couldn't be further form the truth. The 'Titanic' was commissioned as an emigrant transport liner. That fatal night when the Titanic sank, however, is not commonly remembered as the night hundreds of emigrants died.

It's remembered by many for the gentlemen who were 'ready to go down in dressed in their finest clothes', the still calm sea, the clear starry sky, natures victory over man and the end to the maiden voyage of the biggest ocean liner of the time. These images have all the hallmarks of a Greek tragedy and that's why so many millions of people are fascinated by the Titanic.

What must be remembered is that the hundreds of emigrants who perished were looked down upon by most of the first class aristocratic well to do passengers on that maiden voyage. All the ills of society at the time were reflected on board Titanic i.e. class distinction, mass emigration and the ignorance and arrogance of an all conquering industrialised age.

I am from the mid-west of Ireland from where 22 third class passengers and two second class passengers boarded the ship at Queenstown. Many of them were sailing to America to seek out a new life not to become a victim of the arrogance of man. All but four of these emigrants survived. I have had the pleasure of meeting relatives of these victims. The relatives, like me, admire the liner for its grandeour but are equally aware of the social injustices committed on it.

Many other emigrant registered ships and liners sank before and after 1912 but none have been documented more that the Titanic. Why? Because the ship represented all aspects of western society at the time. The dreams and hopes carried by those emigrants should be remembered and admired a lot more than the 66,000 tonnes of steel lying at the bottom of the Atlantic with the lost fortunes of the Guggenheim/Astor types.

Lightholler :(
Posted on: 2003/1/17 20:31
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Adam Went
      Adam Went

From Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree with that, sorry Lightoller. Third Class in Titanic set a new standard for shipboard life. They had their own Smoking Room, own Promenade deck, and seperate seats at tables which was a major improvement against any ship of it's time. First class in 1890 was the equivalent of Third Class aboard Titanic in 1912. That's my thoughts anyway. Cheers.
Posted on: 2003/1/27 4:56
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[color=#ff0036:8a398ca61d][/color:8a398ca61d]
Hi,

I have read what you both are saying and agree with both of you to a certain degree.
I feel that the 3rd class travellers had better travel arrangements then before but it was disgraceful the way the life boats where only half filled!!!!
This proved to me that even in hard times the first class passengers would look down at the third class passengers as filth.
This really bugs me because so many lives could have been saved!!!
I feel it was portrayed as the ship of dreams because that is exactly what it was to many people, even though it ended up being a complete nightmare.

Gwen
Posted on: 2003/2/18 15:49
  •  jackandroseforever
      jackandroseforever

From Australia
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:d90de098fc="Anonymous"][color=#ff0036:d90de098fc][/color:d90de098fc]
Hi,

I have read what you both are saying and agree with both of you to a certain degree.
I feel that the 3rd class travellers had better travel arrangements then before but it was disgraceful the way the life boats where only half filled!!!!
This proved to me that even in hard times the first class passengers would look down at the third class passengers as filth.
This really bugs me because so many lives could have been saved!!!
I feel it was portrayed as the ship of dreams because that is exactly what it was to many people, even though it ended up being a complete nightmare.

Gwen[/quote:d90de098fc]

me agree :D
Posted on: 2003/12/15 5:49
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
I agree to a large extent with Lightoller. Although class struggles were happening it took the First World War to realy set in motion the wheels of social change through out large parts of the world, but do remember how class barriers were crossed particularly after the Titanic disaster with many from all classes helping each other; Once again tragedy opens the eyes.
Posted on: 2003/12/17 23:11
  •  TitanicSinker1912
      TitanicSinker1912

From USA
Group:
Registered Users
id havta agree w/adam thats deffinitly true :P
Posted on: 2004/1/12 2:09
Re: Ship of Lost Dreams

From West of Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
I agree totally with you Lightholler (Officer!) However, I did think that both A Night to Remember and Titanic did represent the reality quite well.
Posted on: 2004/12/14 11:57
  •  my_immortal
      my_immortal

From texas
Group:
Registered Users
yes they both did.....
Posted on: 2004/12/15 7:49
  •  Birdsnest
      Birdsnest

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think that the Titanic is often remembered for the famous people that sailed on it. However, James Cameron's movie did address the reality and accurately depicted the Titanic as an emigrant liner as well.
Posted on: 2004/12/15 13:29
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172
Re:

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Gwen and Adam. Oh yeah, the Titanic was a mail/cargo vessel too, hence the "RMS" part of Titanic.

Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/16 0:22
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.