Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
does any one know if?

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard storys that the titanic had some type of number when reflected into the water read no pope was this true?.
Posted on: 2004/7/3 10:24
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Rosie
      Rosie

From
Group:
Registered Users
I know a site that states things such as this if they're false or not.. This one happend to be on there..

"Catholic shipyard workers believed the Titanic was doomed because her hull number read 'NO POPE' backwards. "

This is a false statement.

http://snopes.com/titanic/titanic.htm
Posted on: 2004/7/3 17:41
  •  this springy cocktail
      this springy cocktail

From
Group:
Registered Users
Are you sure that that's entirely false? I mean, if you take the Titanic's serial number (I don't know it off the top of my head) and hold it in a mirror, it does vaguely look like "no pope"--but you probably wouldn't notice if you weren't told! :wink:
Posted on: 2004/7/5 2:12
Thanks Rosie

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for giving me details of what was true and what was false.I found the site most interesring do you know of any other good sites
Posted on: 2004/7/7 10:44
  •  Rosie
      Rosie
Re: Thanks Rosie

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:5400fca2c9="colliewobbles"]Thank you for giving me details of what was true and what was false.I found the site most interesring do you know of any other good sites[/quote:5400fca2c9]

I'll see if I can find more sites like that... I refer to that one whenever an email comes up stating something that might be a rumor..Really is informative..
Posted on: 2004/7/7 14:35

From
Group:
Registered Users
Rosie, that site that you give me answered many of my questions so thanks again. Im from Belfast but now live in Newcastle co-down aprox 30 miles south east of the city.Did you know that perpellors from one of the titanics sisterships is in the ulster folk and transport musem in Omagh?My brother taped a program of sky for me about the titanic and the savage operation but i cant get watching it as my video doesnt have long play.Where are you from yourself and what got you interested in the Titanic? I hope they keep bringing up the artifacts as there is a demand for antthing to do with the titanic but some people say it should be left alone as its a grave yard for over1500 people what do you think your self?
Posted on: 2004/7/8 14:21
  •  Rosie
      Rosie

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:e15c7c3111="colliewobbles"]Rosie, that site that you give me answered many of my questions so thanks again. Im from Belfast but now live in Newcastle co-down aprox 30 miles south east of the city.Did you know that perpellors from one of the titanics sisterships is in the ulster folk and transport musem in Omagh?My brother taped a program of sky for me about the titanic and the savage operation but i cant get watching it as my video doesnt have long play.Where are you from yourself and what got you interested in the Titanic? I hope they keep bringing up the artifacts as there is a demand for antthing to do with the titanic but some people say it should be left alone as its a grave yard for over1500 people what do you think your self?[/quote:e15c7c3111]

You're more than welcome. I find it a rather interesting site myself.
The propellers would be very interesting to see. In the Orlando, FL exhibit they've got a reproduction of the "baby" propeller from the Titanic but ofcourse it's only a repro.

You should be able to see the program your brother taped for you, most vcrs have SP and LP (short play and long play) and you can change which you need, but that's normally for recording things only. To watch one that's already been recorded it's a bit strange yours won't let you. Do you have someone else's that it might work on?

Me, I'm in Holland for the time being..and as sad as it may seem the Cameron flick is what really got me interested. I really got into the story of the Titanic and what it's really all about, there's so much to it, so much learned yet so much still to learn.

Personally, I think they should leave the ship itself alone, don't try to raise her like many people want as I do believe that is a grave site. You don't know if there were people who died in their beds in their staterooms (chances are there probably were) so it'd be like raising a grave (many of them actually) so the ship should be left alone. But artifacts I say go for it and bring them up while there's still time. One day there won't be anything left and it'll be too late to try to raise artifacts because the whole thing will be like the stern and be too dangerous to do anything. I also have nothing against bringing artifacts from inside the ship (CARGO HOLD! Just IMAGINE what would be found there) just as long as no damage (ie blowing up the bow or something of that sort) is done to the ship. I think "tours" where people can pay a certain amount to go down there shouldn't be allowed as we saw on the Return to Titanic special the subs landing on the decks and such are damaging her (for salvage landing on the ship is fine as it is needed but for tours..nope don't agree to it). Besides, IMO if one has the extra 40,000 to go down there why not put it twards a good cause such as charity?? But that's just me and my opinion.

Ok need to cook dinner, I'll check back in later.
Posted on: 2004/7/9 17:16
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.