Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic Biographical research
  Was there really an "unsinkable" Molly Brown?

Browsing this Thread:   13 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  robin
      robin
spread the excitement.....

From
Group:
Registered Users
Well my mom (who is visiting me) has been a Molly Brown fan since I can remember.

I love reading and wondering about American history- i think everyone should make it a hobby.

My favorite study though is the origins of Mormonism and early Mormon history. But that is another forum.......

:)

take care

><> robin
Posted on: 2004/8/18 14:40
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
Robin im Rc myself but if reading mormonism keeps you happy then why not thats what i think. Thanks again for posting in those links it made really good reading all the best Collie
Posted on: 2004/8/18 14:47
  •  robin
      robin
I am SBC

From
Group:
Registered Users
I am southern Baptist...

but i got a bee in my bonnet for explaining what mormonism is to others who are thinking of joining it............
(actually I am trying to write a book called a Housewife's View of Mormonism)

><> robin
Posted on: 2004/8/18 15:09

From
Group:
Registered Users
Robin i wish you all the best with your book. Its alway good to hear someone trying to do something like that.Listen theres a person on this site thats had a book published maybe he can give you some usefull tips its worth a try he can only say yes or no. You call him Mark and hes one of the owners or bosses some thing like that.
Posted on: 2004/8/19 10:00
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re:
Guest_Anonymous
Late in the evening of April 14, 1912, Maggie Brown was absorbed in her reading, anxiously nearing the end of her book. Suddenly, something crashed at the window overhead and threw her from her brass bed to the floor below. The "unsinkable" Titanic had just grazed the side of an iceberg, ripping a 300 foot gash in the ship's hull. "Get your life-saver," gasped a man in the hall, his face a ghostly white.

Before she knew it, Maggie was on deck and being dropped four feet into a lowering lifeboat. There were 14 women in the boat and one shivering quartermaster who insisted that the Titanic, now listing before its final plunge, would surely suck them down no matter how hard they rowed away. Maggie took a dim view of his tirade. She grabbed the oars and took command, ordering another young woman to help her row.

Those who knew Margaret Tobin Brown would have expected nothing less from the flamboyant "uncrowned queen of smart Parisian Society." She was a spunky American who once boasted that she knew "everyone worth knowing from Moscow to the Bosphorus." She corresponded with Edward, Duke of Windsor and studied at New York's Carnegie Institute. Among her closest friends was the Princess Dolgorouki, an exiled Russian princess who was sister-in-law of the Czar. Margaret "Maggie" Brown owned the best of everything and traveled in some of the highest social circles. Yet, it might have been her working class background more than anything that saved her that night on the icy Atlantic.

Margaret Tobin wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth. It's unlikely anyone in her family even owned one. She grew up in Mark Twain's home town of Hannibal, Missouri, in a one bedroom frame house near the Mississippi River with five brothers and sisters. Her father, John Tobin, had emigrated from Ireland as a boy and worked at the Hannibal Gas Works. What Maggie lacked in material wealth growing up, she made up for in ambition and an active imagination. She claimed to have been childhood buddies with Mark Twain, an unlikely story, although she may have met Twain while she worked as a waitress in one of the town's hotels. When she and her brother Daniel took off to seek their fortune in the mining boom town of Leadville, Colorado, Maggie reported that their wagon train had been attacked and robbed by no less than Jessie James.

The excitement and romance of gold-rush Leadville suited Maggie, and it wasn't long before she was courting a handsome mining engineer named James J. Brown. She and J.J. began their married life in his two-room log cabin near the mine and had two children, Lawrence Palmer known as Larry and Catherine Ellen, also known as Helen. By then, most of her family was living in Leadville. These were happy times for the Tobins and Browns, as J.J. advanced in the Ibex Company and applied his engineering skills to solve a problem of cave-ins in the Little Jonny Mine. His success helped open what was called the world's richest gold strike. Suddenly Maggie and J.J. Brown were literally swimming in money. Maggie, who always wanted to marry a rich man and live the high life, had arrived.

In 1894, the Browns bought a mansion in Denver's chic Capitol Hill neighborhood. She was 27 and yearned to be accepted in Denver's snobby social circles. Initially rebuffed as unsophisticated nouveau riche, she persisted with gusto. Her clothes were the best, her parties the most lavish. This is when the family began traveling the world, learning about art and culture and making high class friends abroad who could come and impress the stuffed shirts of Denver. The Browns did become listed in the city's social directory, but never were invited into the elite "Sacred 36," the creme de la creme of the town's old guard. Their dirt-poor beginnings and Maggie's outspoken personality were greater factors than their almost limitless wealth.

Maggie's European tour of 1912 was interrupted by news that her grandson, Lawrence Palmer, Jr., was ill. She immediately booked first class passage on the Titanic, ready to enjoy the privileged six day crossing that $4,350 could buy. Five days into the trip, Maggie found herself almost instantly transported from reclining in a luxurious stateroom to bobbing around in a tipsy lifeboat in pitch black and freezing cold, with an officer who was ready to declare them all dead people. Maggie was used to rejection, used to dealing with odd characters, but not used to failure. If this man wasn't going to save the ship, she was, with his help or in spite of it.

Maggie kept them warm by rowing and their hopes high with her indomitable spirit, until the lights of the Carpathia appeared to save them at 4:30 a. m. On board that ship she helped organize the rescue efforts, made survivor lists and got them radioed to the families, and formed a committee of other wealthy survivors to raise money for destitute victims of the sinking. By the time they reached New York, she had collected almost $10,000 in pledges.

So how did Maggie Brown acquire her famous nickname? Asked by reporters how she managed to survive the Titanic disaster, Maggie quipped "Typical Brown luck. We're unsinkable." She never did go by the name Molly. That was added decades later when her life was dramatized by the Broadway stage play and movie called "The Unsinkable Molly Brown." Although the script bears only a passing resemblance to her real story, it makes her larger than life and a household name. She would have liked it that way.

Books of Interest:

Molly Brown: Unravelling the Myth by Kristen Iverson, with a forward by Muffet Brown, Maggie's great granddaughter. This is an extensively researched biography, the first really serious study of this fascinating woman who rose from humble beginnings to become one of the most talked about people of the century.

Titanic Survivor The Newly Discovered Memoirs of Violet Jessop Who Survived Both the Titanic and Britannic Disasters by Violet Jessop and John Maxtone-Graham. Violet Jessop was probably the only rescued person with a toothbrush after the Britannic struck a mine and sank. But then she had been on the Titanic four years earlier and remembered what she had missed... In 1934, she wrote her memoirs. Few, if any, ocean liner stewardesses ever wrote their memoirs; hence, Violet Jessop's life story is doubly valuable - one of a kind as well a articulate, authoritative and informative. From her unique vantage point, whetherin pantry or glory hole, on deck or in a lifeboat, we are suddenly privy to below-stairs life aboard the great ocean liners.

Brown, Molly
Encyclopædia Britannica Article

Page 1 of 2

Molly Brown
born July 18, 1867, Hannibal, Missouri, U.S.
died October 26, 1932, New York, New York

Margaret Tobin Brown , née Margaret Tobin human-rights activist, philanthropist, and actress who survived the sinking of the Titanic. The real-life Margaret Tobin Brown, never known in life by the nickname Molly, bears little resemblance to the legendary Molly Brown, who was created in the 1930s and achieved prominence in the 1960 musical The Unsinkable Molly…

Posted on: 2004/11/17 23:41
  •  snokkums
      snokkums
Re:unsinkable molly brown

From wisconsin
Group:
Registered Users
This is such a cool article. I really enjoyed it
Posted on: 2004/11/30 12:16
Re:unsinkable molly brown

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
a did't read ure post but the awnser simply is yes
Posted on: 2005/1/6 21:05
  •  snokkums
      snokkums
Re: I am SBC

From wisconsin
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to know anything about the mormon faith I think I can help you. I am a mormon
Email if you have any questions. My email address is:

Robin
Posted on: 2005/1/7 14:30
  •  sundance
      sundance
Re:

From Molly Brown's home town
Group:
No forum
I live only a few blocks from Mrs Brown's birth place here in Hannibal Missouri and go past it regularly. Funny thing the building was boarded up in 1978 and it was allowed to go run down terribly till a couple hundred people got excited from the released blockbuster movie "Titanic" and they restored the building through nonprofit organizations and volunteers pitched in and got it restored back in just a few months in 1998. She was as real as life it's self. Although the movie makes reference to "we all called her Molly". This would be incorrect as that nickname was not culturally correct during that time frame in 1912, the Unsinkable Molly was coined decades after the sinking of the Titanic.
Posted on: 2005/1/16 16:57
  •  Johno
      Johno
Re:

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
yeah how is missouri , good place

ahehehehehehe
Posted on: 2005/2/16 19:30