Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912
Would the officers and crew

From
Group:
Registered Users
Okay I was watching Titanic and noticed when the ship is sinking they're trying to get a lifeboat loose, one officer shouts "Cut em, cut em if you have to" in which a crew member replys "I need a knife, I need a knife".

Wouldn't the officers and crew have knives on them anyways for cutting things or cases such as the sinking?? I've heard that guns were in a box and were passed out to officers before putting the lifeboats out but what about knives?

Strange question although I was just wondering since in another frame of the film someone (an officer) has a knife as does Fabrizio so it made me wonder why the one officer wouldn't have one...?
Posted on: 2004/8/5 13:00
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
I would have thought so but maybe he lost his in all the panic.
Posted on: 2004/8/5 14:34

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I just watched the movie yesterday, and I was starting to wonder that myself. I would think they'd have knives, since you're right, they had guns.

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/8/5 15:35
  •  ImaTitanicluvr
      ImaTitanicluvr

From
Group:
Registered Users
I watched the movie 2 days ago and that is a good question. U would think they would also get knives b4 the crew got on board just in case something were to happen that u can't use a gun for. If passengers can have knives, y shouldn't the crewmembers? I guess they figured that they wouldn't need one, but they thought wrong. U don't see many police around with knives (or at least where I live u don't.) So much for, " A waste of deckspace," as Cal said.

-Tracy Byrd, song title is Keeper of the Stars
Picture of Tracy v
Posted on: 2004/8/5 17:09
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting to see I'm not the only one who questioned this. Maybe like Collie said that one particular officer lost his in the panic..

There'd be plenty of uses for a knife onboard a ship for such a crewmember. To cut ropes and things such of that sort. Can't use a gun to cut a rope and imagine when they were loading the cargo there were probably ropes around some of the cargo crates to keep things from falling off while being loaded onto the ship, they'd needed knives to cut them.
Posted on: 2004/8/5 18:27

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Very true. Like he said, they most likely would have lost them in all the hoopla. ( I know that's not a word, but it works...lol)

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/8/5 22:49
  •  this springy cocktail
      this springy cocktail

From
Group:
Registered Users
The officers didn't have knives, because later when they were trying to cut the lifeboats off of the lines after they had been lowered, there was a lot of fumbling in many boats and many passengers had to offer knives. Some seamen and sailors had knives but it actually makes sense for the officers not to because they didn't do the grunt work or dirty work; they more just ran the ship. They did not have to do much physical labor.
Posted on: 2004/8/8 21:49

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think that they all had knives if they didnt it would be a bit like a wine waiter with out his pocket friend. In the panic it could have been lost or misplaced.
Posted on: 2004/8/9 10:50
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.