Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
unsinkable?
Guest_Anonymous
how many of you actually believed the myth that the Titanic was deemed "unsinkable"? lets do the math, she was built out of steel, she would definitley go straight to the bottom. in her case, she was struck by and iceberg, in a state of panic, how many of her crew members would actually think to shut [u:8cfa8ffb2d]ALL[/u:8cfa8ffb2d] of her water tight doors? i work on a dinner cruise ship and i have three USCG inspections of all the vessels that my company owns and i know exactly what to do, i have been through tons of emergency situations and after everyone of them i always think of things that i could have done differently. hundredes of peoples lives are in my hands everyday. one question, do you think the crew members of the Titanic ever thought of what they could have done differently as they are floating in the water, knowing that they are about to die? could they have done something differently to prevent all those passengers from dying? no. it was their fate.their destiny. and that is why the Titanic will live on forever in our hearts, minds and souls.
Posted on: 2003/1/24 19:37
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Adam Went
      Adam Went

From Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The "Unsinkable" Titanic was never actually called that by the White Star Line-it was dubbed "unsinkable" by media and the magazine "The Shipbuilder" - White Star never made such a comment unlike widely believed. Cheers.
Posted on: 2003/1/27 5:05
  •  Darren
      Darren

From Victoria, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The white star line new it was capable of being sunk but it also knew that the Titanic would require an amount of damage done to it, that had never happened before to a merchant shipping vessel. It was mainly a series of design flaws that made the Titanic very sinkable.
Posted on: 2003/1/27 12:01
  •  samantha
      samantha
Titanic unsinkable

From
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently you didn't read your facts too closely. The architects and designers never claimed Titanic to be unsinkable, it was the media. Also, in everything that I have read and seen all of the doors were closed just not in enough time. How do you know that they were'nt. Were you there?
Posted on: 2003/2/3 2:21
  •  norangeduck
      norangeduck

From england
Group:
Registered Users
can you tell us about these design flaws? i dont believe the design of her made her more liable to sink, i have read a few comments stating that she was made with poor quality materials, but she was made to a fine standard for her time, she was a luxary liner, bad luck is to cause the sinking, not design faults.
Posted on: 2003/2/3 19:57
  •  Darren
      Darren

From Victoria, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Bad luck did play an enormous part, but when you think of the watertight bulkheads there is a big fault. The bulkheads only went as high as e deck so when the water comes in it fills to the rim and then spill over to the nxet compartment. They say it sunk because the water spilt over the bulkheads and keeping moving back and back until it sunk. But if these bulkheads went all the way to the top it would have helped enormously!!!!
Posted on: 2003/2/5 0:37
  •  Adam Went
      Adam Went

From Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. WHat was the point of just having watertight bulkheads that didn't even reach the top . If only the ship had stayed afloat for another 3 hours or so, Carpathia would have been able to save maybe 1,700 lives, instead of 700.
Posted on: 2003/3/22 0:05
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Well u shut up!!!!!!!!
Guest_Anonymous
Well stupid,
Now they have new rules that there can not be iceburgs or the ships couldm't sail duh!!!
So she actually didn't mean it!!!
Posted on: 2003/4/4 1:33
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
it did not matter whether the crew closed all of the water tight doors or not. according to the british inquiry the doors would automatically close themselves once the water level reached a certain level that would trigger them to close. also as mentioned by another member that the bulkheads were not watertight and once the affected rooms filled the water spilled over into other levels hence proving the watertight doors as obsolete. however it has been suggested that by opening the watertight doors the water would have filled the ship evenly giving it borrowed time. although according to experts this would not extend the ships life and may even have caused it to founder sooner. using that as an argumentative point the watertight doors were not completely useless.
Posted on: 2003/5/5 7:18
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:4653960e70="Adam Went"]I agree. WHat was the point of just having watertight bulkheads that didn't even reach the top . If only the ship had stayed afloat for another 3 hours or so, Carpathia would have been able to save maybe 1,700 lives, instead of 700. [/quote:4653960e70]

well even though there werent enough life boats for everybody.. the life boat was too late becuz it was at night which is hard to paddle cuz there would be waves and the water would be cold... maybe if the ship stayed afloat for a couple of hours the life boat would come back and save more ppl... but it was too late... the crew that sailed the ship should have known that sailing in an atlantic ocean, with a ship this big, with ppl that much, should have been extra life boats... becuz there were so many ppl about more than 3,000!
Posted on: 2003/7/23 13:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.