Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic movie
  A documentary I saw...some random facts....

Browsing this Thread:   13 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
A documentary I saw...some random facts....

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, I was looking in the documentary section and I watched a movie that was on....and here are some things I found that were very interesting, so I decided to post them here!
1. If you total the number of seats that were free in the lifeboats that night total over 500.

2. Another ship could be seen by the naked eye. 4th Officer Boxhall was recorded in 1936 as saying he thought the ship was about "5 miles off". He also mentioned that the mystery ship and the Titanic talked breifly through morse code before the 2 ships drifted apart. Also, he was sure to note that you could not only see the main ship lights with the naked eye, but you could also see the lights from the portholes.

3. Southamtpon lost about 550 people that night. It was also said that nearly every FAMILY lost a loved one when the Titanic sank.

4. Also lost was Titanic workers. Out of a total of 900 workers, less then 200 lived.

5. And, most importanly, the size of the damage left by the iceberg was a series of different sized holes totalling 12 sq. ft.

Just thought all that was interesting...what's you all think?

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/8/12 1:11
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
I kind of knew that already but a good posting for others who didnt know about it.
Posted on: 2004/8/13 15:15
  •  rose4jackd
      rose4jackd
sad or what

From coventry
Group:
Registered Users
Sad
Posted on: 2004/8/13 20:28
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
i think that ship that they saw was the "californian" but they thought that the passenger were just having fun firing rockets. and i think i read somewhere that more crew survived than passengers. i dont think thats true but im not sure.
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
~ ~
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12108709
Posted on: 2004/8/18 5:44

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Well, less than 200 crew survived. So, since a little over 700 were saved, I'd say more passengers survived than crew.

Yes, they did see the Californian. And, I honestly have to do more research on why exactly it didn't go to help the Titanic. Because, yea, the Titanic was firing the wrong colored rockets and they thought she was just having a party type thing, but the Titanic and this mystery ship were in fact exchanging morse code. So, I'm very interested in why they didn't go to help her. Maybe they drifted apart before they could finish talking...or maybe it was afraid to be pulled down by the suction everyone was so afraid of that night???

Posted on: 2004/8/19 22:46
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:bb13998420="NosieRosie"]Well, less than 200 crew survived. So, since a little over 700 were saved, I'd say more passengers survived than crew.

Yes, they did see the Californian. And, I honestly have to do more research on why exactly it didn't go to help the Titanic. Because, yea, the Titanic was firing the wrong colored rockets and they thought she was just having a party type thing, but the Titanic and this mystery ship were in fact exchanging morse code. So, I'm very interested in why they didn't go to help her. Maybe they drifted apart before they could finish talking...or maybe it was afraid to be pulled down by the suction everyone was so afraid of that night???[/quote:bb13998420]

i watched these movies about titanic on the national geographic and one of them was about that mystery ship and why they didnt help. they didnt say that they were talking together on the radio (and i didnt know that until now) but they thought that the ship was going away instead of sinking. at least thats what they said.
~ ~
Posted on: 2004/8/21 0:39

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, they weren't talking on the radio. The titanic tried to contact this ship, but the telegraph operator was asleep and wasn't recieving any messeges. They were however, talking through morse code lamps. And actually, they weren't even really talking. The Californian tried to reach the Titanic, but they said there was no responce. Although, at one point, the person operating the morse code lamp said he THOUGHT he saw them responding. Later in the night, the Titanic tried to reach the Califonian, but same thing, no responce.

And I read in one of my books that they didn't think anything was wrong with the Titanic, so they didn't rush to it. Although, they did moniter it all night. They saw the lights, all 8 rockets go up, and then they saw it sink (although they thought it was just leaving or turning the lights out for the night). In the morning, they sailed to where they thought they saw the ship the night before. They saw 2 ships on the way, the Carpathia and another one. They then thought it was one of those ships that they saw the night before and saw they were still afloat so everything was fine. When they turned on their telegraph they heard that the Titanic sank, and heard that the coordinates given were about the same as where they saw that ship.

So, I guess I just answered my own question huh? :)

Posted on: 2004/8/21 14:42
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
yes, thats exactly what they said on NG. you know, you should go there adn see if you can help them.
~ ~
Posted on: 2004/8/21 17:56

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
NG???

Posted on: 2004/8/21 19:35