Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  LeoPlumtree
      LeoPlumtree
Re:

From
Group:
Registered Users
Titanic would've almost certainly been scrapped had she not went down. There wouldn't've been any reason to keep it around. The only reason Titanic has been so famous and considered so special was because of her fate.
Posted on: 2005/6/6 17:45
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  xlostxboix
      xlostxboix
Re:

From Nebraska
Group:
Registered Users
well i guess i have to agree, now that i think about it, i guess the only reason that we still hear about her today, is because of the fact she sunk.
Posted on: 2005/6/6 20:22
  •  edward9139
      edward9139
Re:

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
exactly. she wouldn't ha been history. they didn't care about whether she'd be history in 50 years. they didn't know that there'd be an online site talking about her. they would hav done what was best at the time, not what would be best in the year 2005. the best option would've been to scrap her. if she hadn't sunk then she would've went on to be used in WWI where she'd be lucky if she didn't sink...if she survived WWI, then she'd eventually become outdated and it would cost too much to fix her up and keep up with the modern ships, then she would've been scrapped. the Titanic wouldn't exist today no matter what happened.
Posted on: 2005/6/25 14:27
  •  HW_Hull_401
      HW_Hull_401
Re:

From New Orleans, Louisiana
Group:
Registered Users
IMHO, had the Titanic not sunk, and served a similar life as the Olympic, she would have been razor blades by about 1940 (latest). As many have stated here, any ship reaches the end of its technologically feasible life on average of about 25 years or so. At some point, it becomes more expensive to maintain, upgrade, and overhaul exisiting ships than to build new ones. Keep in mind, in the life of a ship (pick your type), on average, maintenance of a ship generally costs about 3 to 5 times more overall, than the initial price tag of the ship, when it was first built. I figure by about 1940 or so, she would have been clearly at the end of her usable life. By then, newer, much better ships (in every regard) would have basically made her a complete relic, as is the case over time with every ship. It is unavoidable. And, there really was not anything significantly greater about the Titanic, then her sister ship (the Olympic). In fact, the Olympic really had more status than she did, more notoriety, and was the first in her class. But, after about 25 years, she was scrapped. So, I don't think there is any reason to believe the Titanic would have faired any better fate per se' when her time had eventually come.

JMHO

AJ

Victor Garber (as Thomas Andrews, Titanic Builder) from the movie "Titanic" (1997)
Posted on: 2005/7/7 2:29
Re:Titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi my name is Melvin Amos and I think we should take part in
the action and stop exploring that peaceful graveyard.With
over 200,000 people the builders better thouhtin what they do and what they dont do. So lets go and make a difference
about the ships that they build!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Titanic would have been aroud still if they would have been smart.
Posted on: 2005/7/7 21:10
Re:

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edward9139 wrote:
exactly. she wouldn't ha been history. they didn't care about whether she'd be history in 50 years. they didn't know that there'd be an online site talking about her. they would hav done what was best at the time, not what would be best in the year 2005. the best option would've been to scrap her. if she hadn't sunk then she would've went on to be used in WWI where she'd be lucky if she didn't sink...if she survived WWI, then she'd eventually become outdated and it would cost too much to fix her up and keep up with the modern ships, then she would've been scrapped. the Titanic wouldn't exist today no matter what happened.
Posted on: 2005/7/7 21:32
Re:

From Crooksville,Ohio and Zanesville,Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Yes she would have been scraped.
Posted on: 2005/9/21 1:17
  •  Vanishing Nightmare
      Vanishing Nightmare
Re:

From Kentucky, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Well umm she COULD have been, most likely but I know quiet a few ships that are over hundreds of years old and STILL are around and floating about. Permentally docked or drydocked but still... they are nonetheless around. But I have a bad feeling for her being an Olympic Class Liner... she would have been scrapped like Olympic. Olympic was a very powerful ship had a few incidents and not once got close to sinking and she was still scrapped =*(

Great Britain is a good example of a ship that is STILL around today and she would be 161 years of age from the year, 1845 when she was and still floating around this year 2006 ^_^
http://www.greatoceanliners.net/greatbritain.html

-Cricket Korta'Ari-
Posted on: 2006/7/6 20:25
  •  h2oclub
      h2oclub
Re:

From British Columbia, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
with the price of scrap metal today. she would be toast.
Posted on: 2006/7/16 7:58
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.