Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  8 Votes
  •  Michael Passwaters
      Michael Passwaters
Re: Not the Titanic but the Olympic sank !

From Virginia, united states
Group:
Registered Users
How much time do you think it took too build the titanic
Posted on: 2006/6/30 18:32
Create PDF from Post Print

From Crooksville,Ohio and Zanesville,Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
That is absolutely incorrect! Remember Olympic was one of the ships that responded to Titanic's distress calls but was too far away to help.
Posted on: 2006/7/16 18:23

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Michael Passwaters wrote:
How much time do you think it took too build the titanic

Five years wasnt it.

Quote:

That is absolutely incorrect! Remember Olympic was one of the ships that responded to Titanic's distress calls but was too far away to help

yea but if we imagen for a second they where switched it would be titanic that answered to olympics distress. Though the switch theroy has been done to death.
Posted on: 2006/7/26 2:52
  •  Beau
      Beau

From
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a historian or anything, but I've lived a bit of history in my day. I'm quite certain it truly was the TITANIC that sank and not the OLYMPIC. The chill of the air, the salty, stagnant evening and that water, so cold...it freezes memories ya know. The ship was a dream to be embarked upon. The wood was so finely finished you couldn't even feel the grain. The clock on the stairwell, magnificant, but even moreso I felt were the lamps on the knewl posts. This ship was too lavish to be anything other than TITANIC. I love reading your thoughts and the posts on this site. It's great to see that she still lives on in people's ideas and dreams.
Posted on: 2006/8/22 19:14
  •  xkitten14x
      xkitten14x

From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
I read something about that. It sounded pretty convincing but I don't believe it. I think it was because some guy wrote a book saying that it was the Olympic instead of the Titanic that made peoploe wonder. But I don't believe it. The idea is just too complicated and I doubt they would have down all that work just for some weird money thing. It probably would've cost more money to switch the ships than it would've to just let things go the way they were.

sincerely, Kelly.
Posted on: 2006/9/2 16:43
  •  Tigro
      Tigro

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TitanicSmart wrote:
either way it wouldn't matter, because in the end, both ships sank!

Sorry to disappoint you all - the Olympic did not sink, she was scrapped. Apart from being easily distinguishable from her sister ship because of her open promenade deck and other exterior features, she also had different interior furnishings (green carpeting versus the Titanic's salmon pink, etc.). After titanic's demise, White Star withdrew Olympic and returned her to her builders (Harland & Wolff) at Belfast to have her bulkheads raised higher and install her with a double skin. At the same time alterations to her passenger accommodations were carried out and more importantly extra lifeboats were added so there were places for all passengers and crew. With additions to her accommodation space made at the same time, her gross tonnage rose to 46,359 tons, 31 tonnes larger than Titanic's. In 1913, Olympic resumed her service and briefly regained the title as the largest ocean liner in the world until SS Imperator began its first passenger voyage in June 1913.

At the beginning of World War I, Olympic initially remained in commercial service. On October 27, 1914 she was ordered to assist a stricken British warship, HMS Audacious. Olympic took on board the warship's crew. Attempts to tow the warship were unsuccessful as the towlines parted in bad weather, and Audacious sank.

In September 1915 the Royal Navy summoned Olympic to serve as troopship. Armed with 12 pound and 4.7 inch guns, she ferried the British troops around the eastern Mediterranean area.

From 1916 to 1917, Olympic was chartered by the Canadian Government to transport its troops from Halifax to Britain. In 1917 she gained 6 inch guns and later she was painted with a "dazzle" camouflage scheme in order to confuse the enemy. After the United States declared war on Germany in 1918, Olympic transported thousands of US troops to Britain.

On May 12, 1918, she was attacked by a U-boat U103; Olympic Under the command of Captain Bertram Fox-Hayes managed to avoid the torpedo and then rammed the U-boat and sank it, the only known sinking of a warship by a merchant vessel during World War I. Despite this heroic effort, not everyone was thrilled. Some people criticised her crew for risking thousands of lives to retaliate against the U-Boat.

During the war, Olympic carried 66,000 troops, burned 347,000 tons of coal and traveled about 184,000 miles. Her impressive World War I service earned her the nickname "Old Reliable". After the war, when Olympic was about to be reverted back to civilian configuration, a dent was discovered below her hull's waterline and it was later concluded that it was caused by a torpedo that had failed to detonate. Had the torpedo exploded, the result could have been devastating.

After completing service as a troopship, Olympic returned to Belfast for restoration to civilian service. Her interior was modernized and she was converted to burn oil. In 1920 she returned to passenger service and joined with RMS Majestic and RMS Homeric for an express service. She enjoyed success until the Great Depression reduced demand.

In 1934 Olympic again struck a ship. The approaches to New York were marked by lightships, and Olympic, like other liners, had been known to pass close by these vessels. On May 15, 1934, Olympic, inbound in heavy fog, was homing in on the radio beacon of Lightship 117, the Nantucket lightship. Olympic under the command of Captain John Binks failed to turn in time and sliced through the smaller vessel, which broke apart and sank. Four of the lightship's crew went down with the vessel and seven were rescued, but three died of their injuries - a total of seven fatalities out of a crew of eleven.

In 1934 White Star merged with the Cunard Line at the instigation of the British government. Cunard White Star then started retiring older ships. Olympic was suffering from a number of age-related problems and appeared outdated compared to newer ships. In 1935 she was withdrawn from service and sold to Sir John Jarvie for £100,000 to be partially demolished at Jarrow, to provide work for the region. In 1937, Olympic's hull was towed to TW Ward's yard in Inverkeithing for final demolition.

Olympic's fittings were auctioned off immediately before she was scrapped; some of her fittings (namely those of the First Class Lounge and part of the Aft Grand Staircase) can be found in the White Swan Hotel, located in Alnwick, England. Some fittings and panelling also ended up at a Haltwhistle paint factory!

In 2000, Celebrity Cruises purchased some of Olympic's original wooden panels and created RMS Olympic Restaurant on board their newest cruise ship, Millennium. According to Celebrity Cruise Line, this rare collection of wood paneling once graced Olympic's à la carte restaurant.

I think there is enough potential proof in these exploits to "sink" the Olympic/Titanic swap theories for good.
Posted on: 2006/9/14 14:00
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.