Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  titanic 4 ever
      titanic 4 ever
Re: Should Titanic be left in peace?

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree that she should be left. BTW, does anyone know how much longer she has left before shes gone forever?
Posted on: 2004/11/4 2:28
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
about 5 to 10 years maximum.
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
~ ~
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12108709
Posted on: 2004/11/4 4:22
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I would guess more like 40 or 50. she been there around 90 yrs and there is still alot of her there to see and explore so i think it will be longer it is hard to say how long. but that's my guess anywayQuote:

rose89 wrote:
about 5 to 10 years maximum.
Posted on: 2004/11/9 0:47
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
i said fall apart, not disappear.
~ ~
Posted on: 2004/11/9 21:53
  •  DreamsFire
      DreamsFire

From MA
Group:
Registered Users
Well, first I'd like to introduce myself, I am Christine, and I have studied up quite a bit on the Titanic, i became interested in it since i had to write a report about it in the 6th grade, well I'm 26 now, and STILL study up on it finding something new all the time. And am very happy to have found this forum. Secondly, I'd like to resopnd to fact of the raising of the Titanic. Now I agree with most of you that it should be left right where it is. But now be realistic, If they brought it to surface, and restored it, wouldnt you go on a tour??(disregarding the fact that it would crumble upon lifting it) I know I would. I'm not starting an argument or anything, but seriously, ....realistically, we would all go on that tour. It represents how hypocritical the human nature really is, (no pun intended) Hope I didnt offend anyone, just stateing my view, wouldnt you go???

Christine
Posted on: 2004/11/11 17:37
  •  Stardreamer
      Stardreamer

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think we should clarify the original thread question is concerning the various expeditions bringing salvaging individual items (i.e. ships bell, clocks, personal items, etc.) from the wreck site to display at museums. The hopes as raising the Titanic herself as envisioned in "Raise the Titanic" were pretty much dashed when the first expedition got down and confirmed that she had broken in two as she sank. They also found that contrary to popular hope that she was deep enough to retard corrosion the hull is severely corroded. She would never survive an attempt to raise either section of hull.
Posted on: 2004/11/11 18:19
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DreamsFire wrote:
But now be realistic, If they brought it to surface, and restored it, wouldnt you go on a tour??(disregarding the fact that it would crumble upon lifting it) I know I would. I'm not starting an argument or anything, but seriously, ....realistically, we would all go on that tour. It represents how hypocritical the human nature really is, (no pun intended) Hope I didnt offend anyone, just stateing my view, wouldnt you go???

Christine

i know i would.
~ ~
Posted on: 2004/11/11 20:03
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Christine,
I note your coments on raising the titanic.Whilst the impossible will never happen,I feel like you that if it was raised then there would be plenty of people with a morbid curiosity to see where a thousand odd souls perished.I myself think she should be left where she has come to rest.It is a lasting memorial that sadly with the passing of time will dissapear forever.Quote:

DreamsFire wrote:
Well, first I'd like to introduce myself, I am Christine, and I have studied up quite a bit on the Titanic, i became interested in it since i had to write a report about it in the 6th grade, well I'm 26 now, and STILL study up on it finding something new all the time. And am very happy to have found this forum. Secondly, I'd like to resopnd to fact of the raising of the Titanic. Now I agree with most of you that it should be left right where it is. But now be realistic, If they brought it to surface, and restored it, wouldnt you go on a tour??(disregarding the fact that it would crumble upon lifting it) I know I would. I'm not starting an argument or anything, but seriously, ....realistically, we would all go on that tour. It represents how hypocritical the human nature really is, (no pun intended) Hope I didnt offend anyone, just stateing my view, wouldnt you go???

Christine
Posted on: 2004/11/14 13:33
  •  jteeters
      jteeters

From Lebanon, MO
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree with you on this one. Although raising the Titanic would spark a curiosity with more people, I don't think it would be ethical to do so. Think about it. 1,523 people died on the ship. That's the same thing as grave robbing. That's almost the same thing (forgive my reference to Lynyrd Skynyrd) the idiots who robbed the grave of Ronnie VanZandt in 1982. It would be an injustice to them to raise it up. I found an article on Yahoo News issued by Reuters that was particularly disturbing to me. Robert Ballard went back to Titanic recently, and found that many items have been taken from the Titanic, and that the liner has been abused by tourists. The good news is, he is trying to get legislation passed by congress that would allow for new protocols for the protection of the Titanic. I have posted the link if you want more information about the subject.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&ncid=585&e=1&u=/nm/20041114/sc_nm/science_titanic_dc
Posted on: 2004/11/15 2:39
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I agree with you but i dont think anything would keep some people away from herQuote:

jteeters wrote:
I have to agree with you on this one. Although raising the Titanic would spark a curiosity with more people, I don't think it would be ethical to do so. Think about it. 1,523 people died on the ship. That's the same thing as grave robbing. That's almost the same thing (forgive my reference to Lynyrd Skynyrd) the idiots who robbed the grave of Ronnie VanZandt in 1982. It would be an injustice to them to raise it up. I found an article on Yahoo News issued by Reuters that was particularly disturbing to me. Robert Ballard went back to Titanic recently, and found that many items have been taken from the Titanic, and that the liner has been abused by tourists. The good news is, he is trying to get legislation passed by congress that would allow for new protocols for the protection of the Titanic. I have posted the link if you want more information about the subject.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&ncid=585&e=1&u=/nm/20041114/sc_nm/science_titanic_dc
Posted on: 2004/11/17 0:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.