Poster Thread
  •  Superstar
      Superstar
Descriptive piece about the titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
hi

i need help to write a desriptive piece about the titanic. I need to write about the titanc from 6 pm on the 15th april 1912 till it sank.

Posted on: 2004/11/9 19:16
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: Descriptive piece about the titanic
Guest_Anonymous
it would take a really long time to type an indept report on the accedent but it started at 11:40 with the call form the crows nest
Posted on: 2004/11/9 21:12
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
ooh, this would take a really long time. if i had to write an essay like that, it would probably be around 10 pages long, if not more. i would help you. something specific?
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
~ ~
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12108709
Posted on: 2004/11/9 22:07
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
My sister has a large binder full of all kinds of titanic info but everytime i try to post anything really long it wont let me. :pint:
Posted on: 2004/11/10 2:13
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
depends on how long it is.
~ ~
Posted on: 2004/11/10 12:16

From bottom of the ocean near the titanic
Group:
Registered Users
.At a ship yard called Harlan and Wolfe . The original name was suppose to be Gigantic but after it was finished it was called titanic. It was put in the water in the year of 1911. and dressed out with the interior and upper outside ,plus the funnels. It was one of the biggest ships ever built . it was the lenght of 3 football fields in length and was twelve stories high, the largest moving object ever built by man.
They began building the Titanic in Belfast, Ireland in 1907. when J. Bruce Ismay met with lord James Pirrie a partner.they decided to build three ships that will be the largest the world had ever seen.in fact the size was of the greatest importance even though the Titanic only required three smokestacks. the forth one was a dummy one.since it was feared that the people might think it was a Cunard's four stack ships like the Murtania and Lusitania to be more powerful.they would make it to be so lavished in their appointments that they would rival the worlds finest hotels.Titanic was the middle shipof the three new super liners.
her sister ship the Olympic served as a reliable member of the white star line until, she was scrapped in1935 after striking and sinking the famous Nantucket off the coast of the United States.her younger sister Britannic met her fate similar to that of Titanic during world war1 when she struck a german mine off the coast of Greece and sank in less than an hour. Britannic was originaly to be named the Gigatic
work began on the Olympic and Titanic during 1908-1909. on October 20,1910 the Olympic is successfully launched. Titanic's hull is launched on May 31,1911 and the ten months of fitting out began. less than a month later Olympic leaves on her Maiden Voyage, on September 20, 1911.under control of Captian Edward J. Smith; collides with H. M.S.Hawke, a royal cruiser.Olympic suffers major damage and is returned to Harland and Wolff for repairs.which delayed fittings on the Titanic by a month.
In January, 1912 Titanic was fitted with her life boats ,sixteen which was regulation for the British board of trade for ships of 10,000 tons or more. the Titanic actually had 20 lifeboats on board; fourteen regular wooden boats, four collapsibles, and two emergency boats.
On March 31 Titanic's outfitting was complete and she under goes her sea trials to Belfast Lough on April 2, which lasted only half a day.the test was to see how fast the huge ship could stop. at 18 knots with both engines in reverse, it took three minutes and fifteen seconds and covered a distance of 3,000 feet.more than just a ship Titanic was virtually a floating palace;more of a hotel than an ocean liner. no expences were spare in Titanic's appointments. Titanic was thought to be practically unsinkable.

The Maiden Voyage

On Wensday April 10,1912, Southampton,England- Sailing Day- passengers arrived at the white star docks and boarded the Titanic between 9:30-11:30 am. Titanic cast off to depart on her first and only maiden voyage promtly at noon. she was assisted by six tug boats into the river channel. under her own power,she passed two smaller ships moored on her left.as the titanic steamed past at six knots the lines that moored the New York snapped. now free she drifted toward the much larger Titanic,the disaster was averted when a tug (Vulcan) rushed to New York's side and passed a line to her stern slowing her drift toward the Titanic.at the same time Captian Smith increased power to his port engine, causing a wash that helped push new york clear.after making stops at Cherborg,franceand then Queenstown, Ireland she headed for New York City.
Titanic encountered no rough seas or bad weather during the voyage and passengers quickly settled into thier shipboard routines.On April 12, at around sunset ,Titanic received the first warning of danger ahead.on April 13the second warning came from the Rappahannock of ice whichhad dented her side and twisted her rudder. Titanic receiveda total of six ice warnings onapril 14,the first coming at 9:00 a. m.it reported burgs ,growlers and feild ice, the second warning at 11:40 a. m. reported much ice.at 1:42 p.m. the third warning of the day reported. "iceburgs,and large quantity offeild ice. this warning placed theice only 250 miles ahead of the Titanic's position.

On April 14,1912,at 11:40 p.m.the bell in the crow's nest suddenly rings three times followed by the ringing of the crow's nest telephone on the bridge.It was answered by sixth officer Moody who heard look-out Fredrick Fleet's warning of "Iceburg , right ahead!!". first officer murdock orders the engines stopped and full astern also orders quartermaster Hitchens to turn hard to starboard.for 37 seconds they waited for the ship to turn,when they thought it was going to hit it finally started to turnto port(left).but it was to late.a spur of ice beneth the surface bumped and scraped the starboard(righ) side of the ship for a distance of 248 feet. this caused a series of small gashes and buckled the hull plates,which effected the first four compartments and two feet in the fifth.the total area now opened to the seawas a mere twelve feet.

for titanic avatars here is a good spot for ones of jack rose and the two of them together
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/casablanca/110/titanic.h...
Posted on: 2004/11/17 5:27
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
hey thats like cheating. she/hes just gonna print it. i thought it was homework and you're supposed to do it by yourself.
~ ~
Posted on: 2004/11/18 1:17
  •  tractorowner
      tractorowner

From tractor cab!,lincolnshire uk
Group:
Registered Users
one or two corrections if i may it was the brittanic that was going to be called the gigantic and the correct spelling for the ship builders is harland and wolff :hammer:
Posted on: 2004/12/23 20:55
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.