Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  jhimmy
      jhimmy
Ghost of the Abyss - 3D IMAX film by James Cameron

From
Group:
Registered Users
Well I have been lucky enough to have a sneak preview last week of "Ghosts of the Abyss" James Camerons 3D IMAX film. I thought it was an amazing film. The first 10-12mins were aboard the Russian explorer ship and then going down in the Sub. Bill Paxton was very funny as he is clearly petrified going down. The Build up of excitement was fabulous and I was on the edge of my seat.

I was amazing to see the bow of Titanic coming out of the darkness and out of the screen at you! The lighting of the Titanic was excellent and you can see her so well. I really was like how you would expect it look if you were there.

The next bit of excitement comes when they fly the remote subs into Titanic. I will not say too much as I could not do it justice and also the excitement of seeing where they go is wonderful.

Throughout the film James Cameron uses CGI to show you what part of the ship you are looking at. At some points you see the parts of the ship that are no longer there and at other times he places people on the desks etc. I thought this might seem quite ghoulish but in fact it works reasonably well.

During one of the dives the September 11 attacks occur and when James C et al return to the surface there is at some discussion and reflection about this. This is all well and good but I don't know about one guy’s comments.... I will say no more.

James C also uses some scenes from Titanic (the externals of the sinking) and tells a somewhat biased account of Titanic. I think he makes Lightoller out to be a little reprehensible and Murdoch a hero, responsible for the majority saved that night.

Overall I thought is was the best IMAX Film I have ever seen, and I have seen loads. The images of Titanic's exterior we have all seen before, but in 3D it is like seeing it for the first time again. The interior shots of the ship are incredible, that all there is to say on that. The lighting is truly wonderful. Bill Paxton is very good and is certainly naturally funny in his unscripted role. The overall story that is told is reasonable but we should have spent more time underwater.... perhaps James Cameron is saving footage for Ghost of the Abyss II.
Posted on: 2003/3/24 12:57
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  sue
      sue
ghosts of the abyss

From ohio,usa
Group:
Registered Users
i saw that too at the titanic exbit in cleveland. that was a great movie because it felt like you were there
Posted on: 2004/1/27 13:58
  •  Starry
      Starry

From US of A
Group:
Registered Users
yeah I saw it last year and fell in love with it ! But nobody would take me again. My dad was going to but he wouldn've gotten sea sick because near the beginning it shows the Kelvish tackling huge waves and he gets motion sick just watching me play Nintendo!!
And of course all of my friends just laugh at Titanic. :(
Posted on: 2004/1/29 2:19
  •  Betty
      Betty
Ghost of the Abyss---DVD

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone seen the movie out in the stores yet? I have asked at all the stores in my area. No one has it
Posted on: 2004/2/1 17:59
  •  Starry
      Starry

From US of A
Group:
Registered Users
Will they be able to release it on video? I was wondering about that when I saw it in theaters, since it is 3D
:)
Posted on: 2004/2/1 20:10
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Starry,
I would think they would have to include 3D glasses with the video when you buy it?

I had not seen it in the theatre, but I am assuming they gave out glasses to see the movie? Is this correct
Posted on: 2004/2/1 20:14
  •  Betty
      Betty
Ghost of the Abyss DVD !!!!

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
I just read "Ghost of the Abyss" DVD will be released April 27th at a cost of $29.99.

Can't wait
Betty
Posted on: 2004/2/3 18:58
  •  Starry
      Starry

From US of A
Group:
Registered Users
AAH! I want it!! Yeah, you're right, they'd prolly include 3D glasses with the movie. But $30?? I could buy 2 other documentaries for that price! If I could find a blasted store supplied with Titanic stuff.. I'm tempted to steal 'em from the library.. :twisted:
Posted on: 2004/2/4 0:11
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Starry,
I know $30 does seem like a lot, but I have been visiting the malls, video store, etc. enquiring about the movie. I think they were getting sick of seeing me<LOL>

So, I guess if I have to pay that price it will save wear and tear on my sneakers and not have to know the merchants are saying"Here she comes again"<LOL>
Posted on: 2004/2/4 0:40
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Will the first one to buy "Ghost of the Abyss" when it arrives in the stores, please tell us somethings about it.

We can all compare notes etc regarding our likes and dislikes on the DVD
Betty
Posted on: 2004/2/4 12:41
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.