Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  What Happened To Victums Remains? Like Say Capt Smith?

Browsing this Thread:   23 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Johno
      Johno
Re: What Happened To Victums Remains? Like Say Capt Smith?

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
obviously at sea if we have never regained their bodies to put in a cemetary
Posted on: 2005/9/7 9:56
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912
Re: What Happened To Victums Remains? Like Say Capt Smith?

From
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe I'm redoing this (now that I read that this topic was created in NOVEMBER of 2004 I REALLY can't believe I retyped all this) . I had it all typed up and submitted it and apparently it lost it all.

In detail:

Captain Smith- He was last seem in the bridge area having given the final order to abandon ship. He appears to have made no attempt to save himself. His body, if recovered, was never identified. Since Smith was such a popular Captain those years, had his body been found, they most likely would have been able to identify him. A large statue of Captain Smith was unveiled by his daughter Helen on 29 July 1914 in Lichfield, England.

Thomas Andrews- During the liner's final hours Andrews wandered the decks encouraging passengers to wear their lifebelts and to make their way to the boats. He was last seen staring into space by the painting in the first class smoking room, his lifebelt discarded. His body was never recovered .

The Strausses- Isidor Strauss and his wife Ida both died in the disaster. After refusing to get onto a lifeboat, Mr and Mrs Straus went and sat together on a pair of deck chairs which is probably where they stayed until the ship sank. Mr Strauss' body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett and identified as Male, estimated age 65, Front Gold Tooth (Partly), Grey Hair and Moustache. First Class Passenger Name: Isador Strauss. His effects included Pocketbook; gold watch; platinum and pearl chain; gold pencil case; silver flask; silver salts bottle; £40 in notes; £4 2s 3d in silver. He was buried at Woodlawn Cemetery Bronx New York United States . Ida Strauss' body was never recovered although she has a memorial on her husband's grave at Woodlawn Cemetery.

First Officer Murdoch - Murdoch was on the bridge at the time of the collision. He worked dilligently to load lifeboats and died in the sinking, his body, if recovered, was never identified. I would imagine had they found his body, it would have been a little bit simplier to identify him as he was an officer and was most likely (since he was on duty at the time of the collision) in his officer's uniform.

John Jacob Astor- John Jacob Astor's body was identified, but just barely. His body was crushed from where it'd been hit from a falling smokestack and his body was covered in soot. He was identified as Male, estimated age 50, light hair and moustache , he had a shirt with the initials "J.J.A." on his collar which I'm sure helped identify him and his effects which included a Gold watch; cuff links, gold with diamond; diamond ring with three stones; £225 in English notes; $2440 in notes; £5 in gold; 7s. in silver; 5 ten franc pieces; gold pencil; pocketbook. First class passenger name: John Jacob Astor. His body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett on April 22 and was buried at Trinity Cemetery New York City on May 1, 1912

The Band- All of the band members died in the sinking. The body recoveries, however each are different.

W. Theodore Ronald Brailey (Pianist) - His body was never recovered .

Roger Marie Bricoux (cellist) - His body was never recovered .

John Frederick Preston Clarke (Bass violist ) - Clarke His body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett and was buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery Halifax Nova Scotia Canada on Wednesday 8th May 1912.

Wallace Henry Hartley (band master) - His body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett and was buried in Colne Lancashire England

John Law Hume (First violinist ) - His body was recovered by the Mackay-Bennett and was buried at Fairview Lawn Cemetery Halifax Nova Scotia Canada on Wednesday 8th May 1912.

Georges Alexandre Krins (violist) - His body was never recovered .

Percy Cornelius Taylor ( cellist) - His body was never recovered

John Wesley Woodward (cellist) - His body was never recovered .

For the bodies that were never recovered, they most likely sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic and then eaten by sea creatures. The bottom of the Atlantic is from what I've heard a calcium starved environment, so the bones from the people whose bodies sunk/were never found are long gone from the sea creatures. That's why when people like Cameron, Ballard, etc take dives there are no human remains found.
Posted on: 2005/9/7 10:51
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.