Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  Icestar
      Icestar
Movie's effect on the real ship

From Helsinki, Finland
Group:
Registered Users
I was just wondering what kind of effect did James Cameron's movie have on the real ship? Was it negative or positive? I've seen a lot of people who are interested in Titanic just because they have seen the movie and they think that Leo was adorable and Kate was perfect, but they don't care so much about the historical, cultural, social, personal and even economical value of the ship. Are they really Titanic experts or just people anxious to know everything about the things related to the motion picture? Moreover, did this movie help real Titanic collectors to find information all over the world or did it make things more complicated?

I would like to hear YOUR comment a.s.a.p.
Posted on: 2004/12/2 19:48
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Titanicluvr91
      Titanicluvr91
Re: Movie's effect on the real ship

From Chester,VA,USA
Group:
Registered Users
For some of us, we already had an interest in the ship and the movie made it stronger and/or brought it back. The movie had BOTH negative and postive impacts on the ship. The negative ones are extremely annoying, sometimes! I have nothing against anyone who could care less about the ship and adores the movie because my mom is kind of like that.
Posted on: 2004/12/3 0:47
  •  Scammell
      Scammell

From Abbotsford British Columbia Canada
Group:
Registered Users
I think the movie is positive about the legacy of the Titanic. I mean if people never heard of the story of the Titanic it, would make people more interested in it.
I am 22. And was absesed with the Titanic since 1990 when I was in Grade 2, Its a good story cause I remember my uncle and I had a remote control boat that we played with in are swimming pool, and then it started to sink, and then I asked my uncle was their ever a big ship that sank? And he said yah The Titanic, and then he told me about the Titanic and I have be interrested ever since. Infact I even got classmates interested in the Titanic, me and other students started drawing picture of the ship, and making models and so on and so on. Then I saw A Night To Remember and thought it was a great movie.
The Titanic is just awesome. And then the Cameron movie came out, I didnt run off and see it right away cause I had a bad feeling about it. But then I finaly saw it on the big screen and was very happy with it even with the fictional love story. The things I like about the movie the most is that the ship looks so real, and u get to see it sail, and see the mighty engines at work. it such realistic detail, give me goose bumbs. Cameron did it right. And for people that didnt know about the Titanic story. It is a good piece of cinema to get them into it. :hammer:
Posted on: 2004/12/3 2:06
  •  Icestar
      Icestar

From Helsinki, Finland
Group:
Registered Users
It was so nice to hear about your Titanic experiences, because it made me to remembered how I got into the world of Titanic. I was only 6 years old in the late 1980's when my parents told me about this beautiful ship and it's fateful voyage, and after that I've started to collect books, models, letters, opinions and everything related to the ship or the company. I must agree that Titanic helped me to understand history in a new and more personal way, because I always have a ´home´in 1912 where I can travel back and forth in history.
I was really surprised when I heard they were making a new film about Titanic in the 1990's, but at the same time I felt a bit nervous because Iwasn't sure if it could bring back the essential parts of that era and not only making too sweet love story. The real movie was good, even excellent and i can watch it again and again and still find new ways to analyse it. At the same time it helped me to find more information about White Star etc. and I'm sure that there wouldn't be this internet site if there wasn't that movie.
Posted on: 2004/12/3 8:10
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
hi there, i think the movie had a positive affect on the real ship. i for one went to see the film and thats how i got interested in the titanic and white star line.
Posted on: 2004/12/3 20:53

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's both positive and negative. But, more negative. it's good that the movie got people to want to learn about Titanic. It got people interested. And, if it got them interested in the actual ship, that's great. But, most people I know who came to the forums after watching the movie was only interested in movie aspects of it. Was there a real Jack and Rose? Did Molly Brown really exist? If you're a true Titanic fan, you know the answers to these questions BEFORE you join a forum.

I think for the people who's interest in Titanic sparked after watching the film, aren't true Titanic lovers. They come here with questions and the thurst to know....but not the thurst to findout on their own. They want to know everything about it, but they want to go to aplace and just ask the question rather than buy the books and do the research.

If you come here after seeing the movie wanting to know if one of your family members was on the ship, I will usually ask why you don't find it out yourself. Check out Ellis Island or other ports of entry. it's not hard. People just take the easy way out and ask if anyone else knows before they spend the time finding it.

Now, for all you people who are truly die hard Titanic fans. Like, actual ship fans. Kudos to you. Especially the younger ones. It makes me smile to see young people on here answering questions rather than always asking them!

And....that's my opinion....lol...whew!

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/12/4 14:54
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
I've been aware of the story of Titanic since I can remember. When I was 4-5 I even went on a trip with my family to Nova Scotia (yes we did go to Halifax), but my passion for Titanic was really sparked when I saw the movie and I've been reading about it since. I remember drawing pictures in class too and since I am an artist, I've actually got plans to paint a real portrait (using oil paints) of the Titanic. It wont be on sale, however. It's a personal painting. I really cant explain why I have such an obsession with the tragedy, normally I am not one to obsess over such things, and I'm definately not the type that cries in movies or over tv shows etc. (to add, I usually wait til movies come out on dvd to see them, but this one I saw in the theatre) butt this is different. I really can't explain it. I guess because it was such a magnificent peice of architecture and technology, the grandure and elegance, and of course the loss of life, the stories. To have it all just taken away like that, in such a cruel manor. Such a beautiful ship. Even today, Titanic's elegance and beauty has not been matched. I also think the era it took place in has something to do with it, oh yeah, and I like boats too. Born and raised in Maryland, home of the beautiful Chesapeake Bay and on the Atlantic ocean. Dad used to have a small yacht, hopefully I'll have one too (soon as I start makin some money). But I guess since the movie had an impact on how I feel about Titanic means I'm not a "true 'Titanic lover'".

Jessica

Posted on: 2004/12/5 0:51
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk

From Bangor, Northern Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
I worked in Harland & Wolff during the 80's. The Titanic was built there, but so were many other great ships (about 1760) Today, people come to Belfast to see where Titanic was built, not where Britannic, Canberra, Andes, Sea Quest, HMS Belfast, etc were built. I reckon its all due to the movie. Sure people were interested in it before the movie, but an awful lot more after the movie.
Even going down there yesterday, I met 2 Italian tourists who asked me if this was where Titanic was built!
I rest my case.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 22:07
  •  Sevb27
      Sevb27

From
Group:
Registered Users
Who defines who a TRUE Titanic lover is?
Posted on: 2004/12/8 20:03
  •  Devaloution
      Devaloution

From
Group:
Registered Users
Good topic. This being my first post, here's my point of view. I've been interested in the RMS Titanic for as long as I can remember. To this day, just thinking about it, the size, the new technology that had never before been seen, the amount of lost lives and the way it changed the safety standards of curise liners for future generations fills me with awe. I own books and videos on titanic and I've always strived to find out more. Did the movie increase my desire to know more about it? No. It didn't because the desire has always been strong. Why? Who knows? Who can say why for nearly a century people have wanted to know more and learn more. Ofcourse there are many reasons. Perhaps it's just complete awe that something of this magnitude could happen. Titanic was so big, but on the ocean, it was just a pimple.

As for wanting to know simple questions like was there really a Jack or a Rose, what's wrong with a little bit of romantic and dramatic flirtation? One thing is true beyond a doubt. On there ship there was sure to be some kind of romance. And what an atmosphere for it.

In closing, does it really matter what brings people's attention to this? Probably not. Enjoy Titanic for what it was. Enjoy it for what it is today. Enjoy the movie for what it is a fictional story that also helps to tell the story of one of the worst disasters in history.
Posted on: 2004/12/8 23:00
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.