Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Was the Titanic and Olympic swapped
Guest_Anonymous
Lets hear your views about this famous myth.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 12:30
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: Was the Titanic and Olympic swapped
Guest_Anonymous
Much has been said about wether or not the Titanic and Olympic were swapped.But from records and documented hull numbers it has been proved that this was just a myth.One has only to read accounts of the day to know that this was not so.But no doubt this theory will be kicked about for a long time.But on studying data one soon comes to realise the futility of this suggestion.
Neptune from the deep
Quote:

superbowl wrote:
Lets hear your views about this famous myth.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 12:58
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi suuperbowl.
I note your comments and have to say that while this subject has been played with for years,i don't think there is any truth in it.Certainly Titanic an Olympic were like two peas in a pod and to the untrained eye they were hard to tell apart.But we have to rely on facts and underwater photo's taken since Titanic was found.All ships built by Harland and Wolff had distinctive hull numbers and it would have been impossible to change them,Plus had they been swapped then surely at the board of enquiry that would have been noticed.I think we must admit that it was just a myth,and too far fetched to be reality.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 13:06
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Thanks for the reply,
Did you get to watch the program on sky one a few months ago? i think they did change them when olympic was it dock after the collision with the battleship Hawk.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 13:41
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
thanks for your comments. i do think there was a chance to do the swap. when Olympic was in dry dock after the collison with the Hawk. after that collision the Olympic would have certainly been a right off as she had broken her "back" :hammer:
Posted on: 2004/12/5 13:45
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi again Superbowl.
I dont know where you got the idea that Olympics back was broken at this moment i am studying a book in front of me which states and i quote,The hole in the stern and damaged propellers of the olympic( photos along side desciption) after her collision with HMS Hawke.But the whole account of this accident makes no mention of her back being broken in fact she was back in service within seven weeks.If you want to read it the book is paperback called "White Stars Sisters the Riddles exposed," By fontana booksQuote:

superbowl wrote:
thanks for your comments. i do think there was a chance to do the swap. when Olympic was in dry dock after the collison with the Hawk. after that collision the Olympic would have certainly been a right off as she had broken her "back" :hammer:
Posted on: 2004/12/5 13:55
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi but i dont agree. She had infact broken her keel (back). this is proved when the emergency patching failed on the return journey to the builders showing that her hull was no longer structurally safe. she would of been out of service for months and would of cost white star hundards of thousands to put right.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 14:17
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Sorry you disagree that is your perogative entirely.But i would suggest that you contact the Ulster folk and Transport Museum who will, as they did me give you all the relevent facts.I have just posted two photo's showing the damage to Olympice as the result of her collision with HMS Hawke. as you can see by the Photo's the collision occured at the stern and the book i was refering to gives documented facts of the length of time she was out of service.But as i say you must believe what you want to believe and disregard facts,Sorry but no offence intended but i have been researching White Star for years I have Visited Both the Ulster Museum and Harland and Wolffe as well as the Southampton Heritage Oral History Museum.Quote:

superbowl wrote:
Hi but i dont agree. She had infact broken her keel (back). this is proved when the emergency patching failed on the return journey to the builders showing that her hull was no longer structurally safe. she would of been out of service for months and would of cost white star hundards of thousands to put right.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 15:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi there i have read your comments and those of booty.I think you should go back to your drawing board and check your facts.If what you say is perported to be correct how about publishing the details that you say you have.Booty has submitted a lot to this site and i would be more incline to take his account as he has backed a lot of his stuff up with photo's.Not doubting your interpretation. as booty says you believe what you want to believe.if you can prove me wrong i'll be the first to appologise.Just explain one thing how could the Olympic being strucka minor blow at the stern have broken her back.It took the Titanic Two hours or more before her back broke and she sank in two halves.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 15:26
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry, I am with Neptune. You'd really have to have something loose in your head if you believe this myth even after seeing all the evidence (those of you who have supposedly done research on this subject), and even the differences in the ships, that disproves it. That's just stupid. Honestly I thought the whole idea was stupid, but still researched it nonetheless to make sure.

Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/5 17:23
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.