Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Crew members of Titanic
Guest_Anonymous
hi i am wondering if anyone out there has a list of crew members that survived the tragedy, I had a great uncle his name was John Hardy and he was chief second class steward. I have looked for relevant details relating to survivors to no avail.Not many of my mothers side of the family are now alive so i can't refer to them. I would just like to know if he survived or went down with the ship.Any help would be appreciated
Posted on: 2004/12/9 14:05
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: Crew members of Titanic
Guest_Anonymous
Hi neptune,
i don't know if this is of any help but i have tracked a photo of your Uncle John Hardy.Its pictured in the book Titanic Triumph and Tragedy. i will endeavour to look futher to see if i can find out if he survied or not.In the meantime if you wish me to scan this photo then visit my website and sign my guestbook and i will email it to you as an attachment ok . Booty
Posted on: 2004/12/9 15:30
  •  Icestar
      Icestar

From Helsinki, Finland
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Neptune!

I found out from my Titanic wall chart that your great uncle survived the disaster and was situated in the collapsible boat D that was launched by 2. officer Lightoller at 2.05 a.m., shortly before the Titanic slipped beneath the waves.

John Hardy, 36; Chief steward, 2nd class:
" We launched the boat parallel to the ship's side, and Mr. Lightoller and myself, two sailors, and two firemen- the two sailors were rigging the poles and getting them in working order and Mr. Lightoller and myself were in the boat. When the boat was full, Mr. Lightoller was in the boat with me, and the chief officer came along and asked if the boat was full, and he said yes. He said he would step out himself and make room for somebody else, and he stepped back on board the ship and asked if I could row. I told him I could, and I went away in that boat."
Posted on: 2004/12/9 18:44
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Thanks icestar,
that was a great help knowing he survived,but nothing has been ever mentioned of him in the family ever since,so i'm wondering if he got back to England.If you come across anything else please post it.Thank you, Neptune
Posted on: 2004/12/9 19:29
  •  Icestar
      Icestar

From Helsinki, Finland
Group:
Registered Users
There could be more information in the encyclopedia-titanica, if you haven't been there yet... I found many new articles etc. from there. I hope you will find out what happened to him, and it would be nice if you could share that information...
Posted on: 2004/12/9 20:09
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
It really is amazing, the information found here and people that visit this forum/site. A connection to the not so distant past, and seeing stuff like this really puts that into perspective.

Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/9 22:35
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
John Hardy survived the disaster and later testified at the British Inquiry. His testimony can be found on the Titanic Inquiry website.
Posted on: 2004/12/11 22:30

From
Group:
Registered Users
My maiden name is Smith and I feel a connection with Captain E. B. Smith. I can't explain it, but I feel he is somehow connected to me. Can you help.
Posted on: 2005/1/13 17:29

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
That is well possible, depending on which direcction your Family tree goes back to though.

If you can submit more info to the board we can help.

Altough, if you would please see this website, it explains how you can find out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name
Posted on: 2005/1/13 17:34

From
Group:
Registered Users
Where can I find a list of the people who booked passage on the Titanic. I ran across it several years ago on the web but at this time I can't remember where I found it. My grandfather's name was Jess Lee Smith. I am sorry but I do not know the name of my great grandfather. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Posted on: 2005/1/14 1:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.