Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
new cunard liner to be bigger than s.s.queen mary 2

From
Group:
Registered Users
a new ship the S.S. Queen Victoria being built by cunard line is a sister to the current record holder of the worlds largest ship the S.S.Queen Mary 2 exept the S.S. Queen Victoria will be even larger just as the R.M.S.Titanic and the R.M.S.Olympic were sisters even though the titanic was the bigger one.

hopefully this will help along tghe new intrest in trans-oceanic travel.
Posted on: 2005/4/3 1:22
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: new cunard liner to be bigger than s.s.queen mary 2

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I heard of the Queen victoria, but did not know if it was true, but to be truthal it does not surprise me. Ship's are now as popular as they have ever been, mainly thanks to the jet, which was once thought to end ship's, is now going to be the best alie, funny that is't it.

Do you know when and where it is to be built? Since it is supposed to be a British ship, I wonder if the Government are going to repeat, alowing it to be built somewhere else, God please let it be built, in the clyde ship yard, those boys(and ofcource girls) need this, or the last shiping yard from the old days will be gone.

Good day, and once again fantastic news,
Posted on: 2005/4/3 12:33
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Over here in NH the paper mills aren't doing real well, so my dad became a merchant marine. which was what he did in college. He is a mechanical engineer and he has been on some pretty big ships. one of the recent ones was a car-carrier. it was only 700+ ft. long. but it was 12 stories high, so it had 12 decks. he said it held 4000+ cars, fully loaded. he has been all over the world including China, Japan, and Russia! do you know how long the Queen Victoria will be?
Posted on: 2005/4/3 13:22

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Hello there,

If your dad makes photos of those ships, probably the outside since the inside is confidential and is not allowed to be posted, you can choose to share it with the community at http://www.titanic.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=2

Which is the ship spotting cat, and add photo on the top right corner of the page.

You can include some text as to the whereabouts and type/name of the ship and perhaps credit to your self.

The section is growing slowly but steadily.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2005/4/3 13:25

From
Group:
Registered Users
Cunard Names New Ship 'Queen Victoria'
Monday March 31 2003

Cunard Line announced today that its new 85,000-ton cruise ship, which is scheduled to enter service in 2005, will be named Queen Victoria. Dedicated to the British cruise market, Queen Victoria will be the second largest Cunarder ever built carrying 1,968 passengers. Together with the current flagship, Queen Elizabeth 2, and Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever, the Cunard fleet will include three Queens for the first time -- truly the most famous ocean liners in the world.

Currently being built at Italy's Fincantieri shipyard, Queen Victoria will enter service in the company's 165th anniversary and will operate round-trip Southampton cruises to the Mediterranean, Canaries, Northern Europe as well as cruises to the Caribbean. The vessel will feature a covered wrap-around promenade deck, a forward-facing observation lounge, and a large Lido pool with a retractable magrodome. Innovative "exterior elevators" with glass walls will uniquely tower 10 decks high on both sides of the vessel. Like QE2 and QM2, the liner will have a Queens Grill offering single-seating gourmet dining.

"Cunard Line was founded just after Queen Victoria came to the throne, and her reign saw the company develop hugely in every sense," said Pamela Conover, president and COO of Cunard Line. "Today, with more capacity than we have had for 40 years, Cunard is entering a new phase of expansion commensurate with that experienced under Queen Victoria, so it seems entirely appropriate for the new ship to bear the name."

The on-board menus, entertainment and lecture programming will be geared toward British tastes and the currency will be sterling. In design terms Queen Victoria will have an undeniably British feel with two British design teams being responsible for her interiors. Queen Victoria will offer a wide range of accommodations including large standard outside cabins (170 sq ft) and a high percentage of balcony cabins (67%) -- bringing new levels of luxury and choice to the British passenger.

Yet Cunard fully expects Queen Victoria to have world-wide appeal, especially in the American market. Cunard guests value the superior White Star Service(SM) and amenities the line has always offered. Queen Victoria will be a ship that's both modern and sophisticated, extending the Cunard lineage into the 21st century, and providing a full complement of comforts for vacationers with high expectations.

The new liner's inaugural voyage will be in early 2005, approximately one year after the launch of Queen Mary 2.

Cunard Line has operated the most famous ocean liners in the world since 1840. The Cunard fleet has a classic British heritage and includes Queen Elizabeth 2 and Caronia. In December 2003, the line welcomes Queen Mary 2, the largest liner in the world, and in 2005 Queen Victoria joins the fleet.

Cunard is a member of the exclusive World's Leading Cruise Lines alliance, which also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn Cruise Line and Windstar Cruises. Together, these member lines share a commitment to quality and value, offering cruise vacations that appeal to the widest range of lifestyles and budgets, and that sail to some of the world's most exciting destinations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Cunard Line

sorry my bad not the biggest but pretty dang close

to be 1000+ feet also to be built by the same yard as the QM2 sorry poor lads working at the clyde yards
Posted on: 2005/4/3 15:40

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I just found this,

5 Apr 2004 – Cunard Line announced today that it has placed an order for a new, luxury ocean liner, to be named Queen Victoria, and has transferred the Queen Victoria currently under construction in Italy to its sister line, P&O Cruises. The new 85,000-ton, Panamax vessel will accommodate some 1,850 passengers and will enter service in January 2007. She will be built by Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani SpA, at its Marghera (Italy) shipyard, and is expected to have an all-in cost of approximately €390 million.

The tremendous success of Queen Mary 2, particularly the demand for its suites and junior suites, has prompted Cunard Line to make these changes to its plans. “The design of the new Queen Victoria will be more consistent with the grand ocean liner style of Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth 2,” explained Pamela Conover, Cunard’s president. “It is clear that the traditional elegance of Cunard has broad appeal among discerning travellers worldwide, and we want to be sure that our new ship has all the luxurious Cunard attributes our clients expect.”

In addition to increasing the number of suite and mini-suite accommodations, the enhancements will focus on providing passengers with Cunard’s classic culinary experience in a variety of dining venues. The ship will feature a Queens Grill and Princess Grill, an impressive two-storey Aquitania Restaurant, as well as alternative dining options, including a Todd English restaurant. Other Cunard hallmark facilities will include a grand ballroom, an authentic British pub, and a classic library.

This is absolutely fantastic, if the Qm2 has done so well, for cunard to want another ship in such a short space of time, when we compare the time between the QE2 and QM2's order dates, then this really must mean, we are now starting the new era, of superliner's.

good day,
Posted on: 2005/4/3 16:32

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
But is she a true liner or a cruise ship, because at 390 million euro's, she is a whole lot cheaper than the Qm2.
Posted on: 2005/4/3 16:48
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
how much crew is there?

my doesn't take pics. he works in the engine room.
Posted on: 2005/4/3 19:49

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Don't know yet, but my uncle who works on the Qm2 just told me about it today, He knew a week ago, some union thing I think, wish he told me sooner. He may perhaps get moved to Rms Victoria for her maiden voyage.

I want on that maiden voyage,
Posted on: 2005/4/3 21:22
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
lucky you. good luck on finding a ticket. your uncle willl probly get you one
Posted on: 2005/4/3 21:33