•  steve05512
      steve05512
titanic 2

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Steve.

Well... that was a blast from the past!

The Titanic 2 plan was shelved just under 5 years ago after the events of 911.
Just prior to 911 the project was well advanced with all initial designs having been completed by Harland & Wolf tech services, and a holding company had also been established - RMS Titanic Shipping Holdings. The company had negotiated an agreement with a well known finance house in London to execute an initial share float, however due to the worldwide financial implications of 911 it was decided to cancel the float, as the share market suffered quite drastically and there was little confidence in the market.
Equally the plan was based heavily on revenue generated from American travellers, and at that time Americans were staying put in the states. As I recall the news was full of pictures and footage of cruise ships tied up in their masses in the port of Miami due to cancellations and a general lack of confidence in worldwide travel.
After a meeting of the all parties it was decided to shelve the project indefinitely, and to date it has never been re-scheduled.
Unfortunately the shelving caused the project to lose momentum and the commercial window of opportunity was lost.
To an extent the project was promoted on the back of the success of the movie, when interest in Titanic was at it's peak, and once out of the limelight for a prolonged period of time interest in the project and support for it waned, making it ultimately commercially unviable. It just wasn't news any more.
5 years may have passed, but I suspect as the 100 year anniversary in 2012 looms you may be hearing more of the project again. A great deal of work was carried out on the initial plan and designs, and this could very easily form the basis of a resurgent project in the years ahead. I suppose it's a case of 'watch this space' you may see Titanic 2 sail up Belfast Lough yet.
Hope that answers your question.
Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,

Mark Blackburne.

hi every one im steve and im new to this site.
i was ablet to get in contact with one of the project leaders from belfast who was involved with the titanic 2 project and this what he sent me back.
Posted on: 2006/9/23 13:10
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.