Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  AlexGFX
      AlexGFX
Looking for Titanic references.

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hello all,

first I'd like to say that it's a pleasure joining this community and from the looks of it everyone is very helpful and friendly :)

The reason I'm here, however, is I'm in the process of creating a 3d replica of the titanic. It's for an interactive multimedia project I'm doing for my college thesis. The jist of it is, it's a full scale, exact replica of the titanic, you'll be able to walk around and live on the titanic.

Now I'm in the R&D stage(Research and Development). This is where I need help! I'm in no way a titanic buff, I've always been interested and entrigued by the ship, but never really learned a lot about it. I've purcahsed about 6 DVDs on it, and they should arrive in about a week.

If anyone has any reference(Pictures, Videos, Stories of actual titanic events) I'd love to see or hear them! I want this to be an exact replica, and for it to be that I need to know a lot about the ship.

So here's where you guys can help me, if you'd like to do so

If you have pictures of video's to send me, simply drop me an e-mail at: AlexGFX(at)mac(dot)com or you can just post what you have here in the forums! :)

Heres stuff I'm looking for right now:

Pictures of the Deck, Cabins, and virtually every aspect of the ship(Note: I have over 4 gigs of photos on the ship right now, but any and all pictures sent to me are helpful and grateful :))

Blueprints: Know where I can buy replica blueprints? Have any in digital format? Please let me know.

Also a huge huge huge help would be scale. How big was the ship? as-well If you have any front/side/top views of the titanic, they are a great help in the development stage(Orthographic Views, meaning perfectly in front, side, top or even behind.)

I thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from some of you soon :)

Cheers,
Alex

PS; If this is in the wrong section, I'm terribly sorry.
Posted on: 2007/1/31 21:57
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Looking for Titanic references.

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Alex, if you need copies of blueprints, you can buy them at the Titanic Historical Society (www.titanic1.org) I think they are expensive though.

If you can find an addition of Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy by Charles Haas and John Eaton in the library or bookstore, I believe a form of blueprints are printed in the cover of the book.

There are many photos out there of Titanic and its decks, but a word of advice is to be careful! Some photos were taken of Olympic (Titanic's sister ship), and passed off as photos of Titanic.

The only reason I say this is that although they were sister ships, they did have differences in regards to structure, interior and exterior. As a matter of fact, they still are finding differences with current expeditons to the wrecksite.

That might be a problem with your making your project a perfect replica, in that some times people have had to guess on some aspects of what some parts of the ship looked like.

A good website you might want to visit is www.marconigraph.com.

It has Titanic buffs that do graphic re-creations of some of Titanic's not so well documented interiors (such as the boiler rooms, turkish baths, marchoni room) and so forth.

A good book I have is called "Anatomy of Titanic" (I cant remember the author at the moment)

If I think of anything else I will let you know!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/1/31 23:00

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
I know that www.encyclopedia-titanica.org has quite abit of information and pictures. I got some deck-plans from there awhile back.

Also, to help you get a sense of scale, I got this picture showing the length of Titanic versus a 40 foot motorhome, a 747, and an aircraft carrier (though I forget where I got it from).

Anyway, enjoy.

click on picture for animation \/

Attached file: gif  scalemap.gif (58.89 KB)

12247_45c17a8d6f0dd.gif 575X217 px
Posted on: 2007/2/1 5:28
  •  AlexGFX
      AlexGFX

From
Group:
Registered Users
Fantastic! Awesome stuff, thank you both.

I'll also use this thread to show progress, if anyone is interested :)

Cheers,
Alex
Posted on: 2007/2/1 11:20
  •  AlexGFX
      AlexGFX

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hoi, all.

I have a quick question, I've been trying to find some imformation about this but theres no solid indication either way...

Is the titanic public domain? If this project turns out sucessful I wouldn't mind pursuing it further, would I be able to do so or does someone own the brand? I'm not really upto date on the legal system on this... Anyone know wha the stipulations are?

Thanks a lot,
Alex
Posted on: 2007/2/2 4:10
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Is the titanic public domain? If this project turns out sucessful I wouldn't mind pursuing it further, would I be able to do so or does someone own the brand? I'm not really upto date on the legal system on this... Anyone know wha the stipulations are?

The Titanic wreck is in international waters, but the wreck is now under salvaging ownership by RMS Titanic inc.

As far as using the name Titanic, I'm no lawyer, but as much as I have seen the name out there, I cannot imagine you would get into copywrite trouble if you make your title and product original.

But get someone with marketing skills to let you know for sure!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/2/2 14:19

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
I found this on EBay A rare 8 x 10 picture (reprint) of one of Titanic's 1st class bedrooms! There's also a picture of the Grand Staircase as well. Check 'em out.

Attached file: jpg  1 class bedroom.jpg (29.47 KB)

12247_45c77fe36278b.jpg 400X282 px

Attached file: jpg  grand staircase.jpg (35.13 KB)

12247_45c78013643fe.jpg 400X282 px
Posted on: 2007/2/5 19:05
  •  AlexGFX
      AlexGFX

From
Group:
Registered Users
OMG Awesome!!!

Very nice.

At this stage ANY and all reference blueprints, and shots of the boat deck is especially wanted.

Thanks,
Alex

PS: I realy really really appriciate you guy taking the time to post these for me :)
Posted on: 2007/2/6 5:13

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Hey I'm glad I can help out. Another site with deckplans is -

http://www.titanic-whitestarships.com/MGY_Tech_Facts.htm

I just found it a few minutes ago. Again, I'm glad to help.
Posted on: 2007/2/6 7:01
  •  redairborne22
      redairborne22

From
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure where your location is, but in Orlando, FL there's a permanent Titanic museum that I'll be checking out next week. The site can be found through Google (that's how I found it). The reason why I mention this is because they supposedly have a full-scale boat deck built along with other rooms and cabins recreated (including a full-scale Grand Staircase) along with recovered items from the ship. Would you be interested in shots from there if cameras are allowed?
Posted on: 2007/2/6 16:20
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.