Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
TITANIC'S SISTERS

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
Titanic is a MALE ship if anyone thought it was of the opposite sex.

Titanic sunk by iceberg
Britannic sunk my torpedoes
Olympic shut down for accedental run over of ship.

So we ALL know about the Titanic but i decided to go online and learn about the sisters. I knew the ships stopped working but didn't know what happened. i found videos of the ships and how they sunk.

Titanic:3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37BtuxZnHo&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axYCTpaIPsM&NR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbIGombZ2pM

Britanic:1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWXpvOiWzao
olympic:1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ky6V4AWmZw

Enjoy and share your information of the 3 here!!!
WATCH THE WHOLE BRITANIC 1.
Posted on: 2007/3/8 20:46
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: TITANIC'S SISTERS

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
Hello???
Posted on: 2007/3/18 22:53

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS?
Posted on: 2007/3/27 1:00
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I'll comment:)

The Britannic was sunk due to a German mine (no fault of the ship's design or of the crew), we all know what happened to the Titanic, but the Olympic never sank, and in fact rammed and sank a German U-boat during WWI.

The Olympic was decomissioned after 25-30 years of service and after failing to find a commercial buyer, she was scrapped by Cunnard, who had taken over the White Star Line.

I'll have to watch the vids when I get home; my company's security protocols won't allow you-tube to run on my machine.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/3/28 14:44

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Captain Dan wrote:

The Britannic was sunk due to a German mine (no fault of the ship's design or of the crew), we all know what happened to the Titanic, but the Olympic never sank, and in fact rammed and sank a German U-boat during WWI.

The Olympic was decomissioned after 25-30 years of service and after failing to find a commercial buyer, she was scrapped by Cunnard, who had taken over the White Star Line.

I'll have to watch the vids when I get home; my company's security protocols won't allow you-tube to run on my machine.

Daniel

actually. Brttanic was torpedoed and Olympic in 1932 drove through a fishing boat and killed several of its crew members so it was decommisioned and all pieces sold in an auction. most are in a hotel in england and they are still in mint condition.
Posted on: 2007/3/28 20:51
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
DANNYJ wrote: actually. Brttanic was torpedoed and Olympic in 1932 drove through a fishing boat and killed several of its crew members so it was decommisioned and all pieces sold in an auction. most are in a hotel in england and they are still in mint condition.

Actually Danny, there is no conclusive evidence to say that Britannic was torpedoed by the Germans. However, there is no conclusive evidence that a mine sunk it either. However, the mine theory has a little more evidence, because a German submarine's captain wrote in his ships log that he layed mines in the area where Britannic sunk.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/3/28 21:46
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DANNYJ wrote:
Quote:

Captain Dan wrote:

The Olympic was decommissioned after 25-30 years of service and after failing to find a commercial buyer, she was scrapped by Cunnard, who had taken over the White Star Line.

Daniel

actually. Britanic was torpedoed and Olympic in 1932 drove through a fishing boat and killed several of its crew members so it was decommissioned and all pieces sold in an auction. most are in a hotel in england and they are still in mint condition.

Torpedoed or mined, the result was, sadly, the same for the Britannic.

I don't believe that the sinking of the Nantucket lightship itself had any bearing on the scrapping, which occurred almost a year later. I would gather that the stock market crash of 1929, the age of the ship and perhaps the $500,000 bill for the accident were greater factors; ships are not generally decommissioned due to collisions unless the ship is damaged beyond economical repair, which the Olympic certainly was not.

Attempts to find a commercial buyer were made, but unfortunately, none were successful

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/3/29 1:28
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I find it very sad that the world did not get to save on of the famous "four stackers" like Olympic, Mauretania, or Aquitania .

It would have been nice to have saved one and made it into a museum and hotel like the Queen Mary.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:29
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

Group:
Registered Users
I agree. I may be partial, but the Olympic would have gotten my vote.

Similar ideas were considered for the SS United States, but none have materialized.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/3/29 16:00
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
The United States is still held up in mothball somewhere, correct?

You say you are partial to Olympic. Do you believe that the Olympics (all three of them) would still be hailed as the most favorite old liners if not for the fame of Titanic sinking?

To my understanding from maritime historians, in her days of service, Olympic was a wonderful ship and was loved to an extent by some regular passengers, but at the same time, she did not have the same appeal and popularity that the Mauretania or Aquitania had. Or, maybe, people were aprehensive about sailing on Olympic because of what happened to Titanic.

I have always wondered though, if it was the Olympic that sank on her maiden voyage instead of the Titanic (and assuming some of the same things happened), would the tragedy be a larger spectacle in regards to public response? I ask this because Olympic was the first of the class, and from what I have read, her maiden voyage was actually a larger attention grabber in the papers. Titanic was second of the class, and from what I can see, her departure, and even her launch, were not as glamorized as Olympic's.

These are probably dumb and irrelovent questions, but what do you think?
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/3/29 18:49
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.