Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan
Save the Titanic.... if you can!

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I touched on this topic in another thread, but I figured I'd make a new thread rather than hijack Gal of Titanic's thread. A television show years back (don't remember what show) posed a problem for students to solve.

It's a what if scenario: You're the captain of the ill fated Titanic and you have just received the news that your ship has side swiped a berg and the forward compartments are flooding. You're told that the wound is likely mortal.

Your' mission, should you choose to accept it, is to save all on board and save the ship.... if you can. Keep in mind that the only tools at you're disposal are 1912 technology on board the ship.

Discuss.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/4/10 20:33
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews
Re: Save the Titanic.... if you can!

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
I would give order to fill all the boats up. Men first and then can the women sit on their laps with a child in their arms. If it's possible some could lay down in the bottom of the boat and then "Lower away!" I don't know about it will work because of the rsik of the boats will break.
Posted on: 2007/4/11 12:21
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
One thing to consider is the amount of time you use to load the boats the way you want to.

People always argue about "if only she had enough lifeboats", well, the fact of the matter is that she sank before she could launch all of boats she did have!

Also, It took Titanic 2 hours and 40 minutes to sink. But it took and hour and five minutes of that time to asess the damage, give the orders, uncover the boats, and swing them out and lower them to the level of the deck (The first boat to leave (#7), did not leave till 12:45).

It was not just lifeboats volume or loading capacity that made the disaster so large, but also the relatively horrible amount of time it took to get the evacuation process going (due to the fact that the evacuation took place basically by word of mouth).
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/4/11 14:25
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
I can see your point. Then it will be almost impossible to save everyone on the Titanic.. I need more time if I should save everyone onboard.
Posted on: 2007/4/12 10:21
  •  U_just_might_sink
      U_just_might_sink

From arizona
Group:
Registered Users
What I don't understand is why push the engines on the Maiden Voyage? Safety and your life is much more valuable then News Headlines, but I guess they got what they wanted right? More then half dying and making the papers. It's such a shame.
Posted on: 2007/5/24 3:20

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
One thing to consider is the amount of time you use to load the boats the way you want to.

People always argue about "if only she had enough lifeboats", well, the fact of the matter is that she sank before she could launch all of boats she did have!

Also, It took Titanic 2 hours and 40 minutes to sink. But it took and hour and five minutes of that time to asess the damage, give the orders, uncover the boats, and swing them out and lower them to the level of the deck (The first boat to leave (#7), did not leave till 12:45).

Maybe if they didnt fanny about for so long that wouldnt be so much of an issue. Tell you what I would do though, ferry people over to the ice berg's and then get the boats to return. Contrast to the film, there wasnt just ONE big berg in the middle of the sea, there would of been others, and 'floating ice'. Yea you would be cold, but theres plenty fabric material for you onboard the ship that could of went with you. Boats return, ferry more over, and the rest can sit in the boats, and hey presto, people saved :).

Despite that, I doubt presented with such a situation and in the spur of the moment, I doubt anyone would of thought of that, particuarly since knowone really believed it would sink (which ofcourse explains the delay in the lifeboats being launched and how little full they where to begin with).

Martyn
Posted on: 2007/5/24 12:49
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Martyn wrote:

Tell you what I would do though, ferry people over to the ice berg's and then get the boats to return. Contrast to the film, there wasnt just ONE big berg in the middle of the sea, there would of been others, and 'floating ice'. Yea you would be cold, but theres plenty fabric material for you onboard the ship that could of went with you. Boats return, ferry more over, and the rest can sit in the boats, and hey presto, people saved :).

I used to wonder about this too. However, although they were in an icefield, it seems that the ice was quite a bit away from them (other than the berg that damaged the ship), or at least out of sight in the dark night.

It begs to question, did many people really know they were surrounded by ice until the morning time? I think I only remember hearing of Officer Pittman describing that he could hear the water lapping up against the icebergs at night, but he could not see them.

And, even if they could find some ice, from what I can gather is that they were not so much into the actual "pack ice" yet. From what Rostson stated, there were something like twenty huge bergs some being over 200 feet tall around the scene when he picked up the lifeboats.

So, it would be interesting to know if there was any ice around that was low enough to the water where people could climb up on it.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:36
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
U_just_might_sink wrote: What I don't understand is why push the engines on the Maiden Voyage? Safety and your life is much more valuable then News Headlines, but I guess they got what they wanted right? More then half dying and making the papers. It's such a shame.

As far as pushing the engines to the max, it was never done as far as I know. Titanic increased speed througout the voyage, and on the 14th, but was never tested at absolute top speed.

To say that safety is more valuable than news headlines is an understandable point, however, we are talking about business interests as well. Even if Titanic had no chance of being the fastest ship, the White Star Line wanted to let the public know that she still was a pretty fast ship for her day.

And Titanic was not the only ship to do it, before or since.

Lusitania tried to break the world speed record for a crossing on her maiden voyage, but came up short.

The Normandie actually broke the speed record on her maiden voyage, and had commemorative medals struck in France honoring it, before the ship even sailed!!!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:46
  •  <3
      <3

From
Group:
Registered Users
i think that if they had a lifeboat drill, they would've been able to load the boats faster! i would've prolly had the stokers and such try pumping the water out, while loading people in case they couldn't pump fast enough! if it at all became doubtful, i would've told the stokers and such to try to save themselves! and from what i've read, nobody really knew that there were bergs near them. they were all amazed! there was also a ship in the distance and the plan was to get all the lifeboats to that ship and get all the passengers off then come back!
Posted on: 2007/6/30 21:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.