Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  SeaRiggs
      SeaRiggs
What would be important to you from Titanic

From Massachusetts USA
Group:
Registered Users
Ok...now everyone think hard. It is 1912 and the Titanic has sunk...but we have the modern equipment to dive down and recover items from the ship. If you were a diver at that time, and the Titanic just sank, so everything is in rather good condition...what Item would you recover and treasure for all time?
People not included...remember this is after the disaster. You have to state what item and why it would be so important to you. (ex. Captains wheel...that unknowingly steered its way into an iceberg..and why that would mean something to you)

I'll go first: I would gather as many letters or photos as possible or telegrams etc...and see if they could be salvaged. It would give humanity to such an event. To find out and remember each soul.

ok..your turn
Posted on: 2008/1/19 11:48
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie
Re: What would be important to you from Titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
some of her furniture, so people could see just how grand this ship was. Or the painting in the smoking room, arrival at Plymouth, just because that was where thomas andrews was last seen, looking at the painting in a daze. or the bodys that sank with her, so they could be buried at land by family.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:02
  •  SeaRiggs
      SeaRiggs

From Massachusetts USA
Group:
Registered Users
hey I was wondering what that painting was...thanks for the info. any photo's of it? And why can't I get private chat to work?
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:07
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie

From
Group:
Registered Users
sorry it was called Plymouth Harbour, not arrival at plymouth
Posted on: 2008/1/20 0:16
  •  Titanic'sSister
      Titanic'sSister

From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
In "A Night to Remember", Lord mentions Thomas Andrews staring into that painting during Titanic's last minutes (at about 2:10 a.m.) and refers to it as "The Approach of the New World." That title is both poetic and fitting as the painting was likely the last thing Andrews saw before he died.

Wow. I am a nerd.

In response to the question, I would be tempted to take the ship's log book, as reading it might be able to answer some questions. I would also want the clock and the cherub from the Grand Staircase, because they are both beautiful reminders of a lost ship and a lost era.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 0:29
  •  SeaRiggs
      SeaRiggs

From Massachusetts USA
Group:
Registered Users
oh and Charlie I forgot to mention how you said that you may take a piece of furniture...how ironic, considering I live only a half hour from an original chair from the Titanic....as well as other artifacts. I have to say it is exciting always having pieces of the ship nearby that I can see whenever I want.
The reason I started this topic...was simple...and I am looking forward to reading the results. In the 1997 movie...it really bothered me that they were investigating the Titanic for an expensive diamond...when they were below the water passing by shoes, a baby doll, a pair of glasses, a piano and so on. Any true Titanic lover (like me) Would have tried to salvage and cherish...just about anything found....the childs toy...a pair of glasses...anything that could try to piece together a story about a person that was on that ship.
I don't know...I just thought that part of the movie was stupid and unbelievable. As you will probably see in these reading not many people will say I will save "PANTS" so I can dig through them for a wallet. Or "Safe" so I can see how much is inside. Because Titanic is pricless.
ok now I sound like a nerd...
BUT by all means if someone out there...only wants to save some womans pocketbook to sift through it...by all means feel free to write it...but I don't think there will be many of you
Posted on: 2008/1/20 1:05
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie

From
Group:
Registered Users
actually the painting "The Approach of the New World", was the painting in Olympics smoking room, not Titanic. I just recently found that out.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 0:48
  •  SeaRiggs
      SeaRiggs

From Massachusetts USA
Group:
Registered Users
Great...so Charlie...what exactly was Thomas Andrews staring at????better not be a pent house mag...LOL
Posted on: 2008/1/21 2:21
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie

From
Group:
Registered Users
ha ha, very funny. i know what im saying now.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 4:56
  •  Titanic'sSister
      Titanic'sSister

From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
He doesn't strike me as the penthouse mag type.

So does anyone know the name or the content of the painting? Is it possible that both sisters had the same painting in their smoking rooms? I'm thinking not....

Also, has this painting ever been salvaged from the wreck? I've seen pictures of postcards and other very fragile items that were brought up and restored to excellent condition, so it wouldn't surprise me if the painting was as well.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 0:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.