Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Matthew Farr
      Matthew Farr
Hello

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone, my name is Matt. I have been interested in Titanic since I saw Cameron's movie. I own and have read over 80 books on all aspects on the Titanic. I am most interested in the general history of the ship, as well as the Californian's role. I am a member of THS and TIS and a member of two other Titanic forums. I look forward to talking with everyone here.

Regards
Matt
Posted on: 2008/8/7 3:49
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Hello

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Matt,
I have read your message in regards to the Titanic it's interesting to want to really know during the course of the sinking of the Titanic why did'nt the other ship rescue those passengers?Do you think it was far more closer than the Californian was?
Posted on: 2008/8/7 23:37
  •  kim44ash
      kim44ash

From michigan
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Matt, I too have read everything I could find on the Titanic, I have also watched everthing thats ever been on tv. I have often wondered why no other ships came to help and why it took so long for the ones that did, One wonders if they really got the S.O.S. sent before it really started to sink.
kim
Posted on: 2008/8/8 21:44
  •  Matthew Farr
      Matthew Farr

From
Group:
Registered Users
"I have often wondered why no other ships came to help and why it took so long for the ones who did."

Actually several ships came to help. The Birma, the Frankfurt and the Mount Temple for example. The reason it took so long was that the ships could not travel that fast. The closest ship was the Californian at an estimated 17-20 miles away. Her top speed was 13 knots which means she could not have reached the wreck site for at least an hour and a half. Assuming that she started for the Titanic as soon as they saw the first distress signal they would have reached the Titanic at around 1:30 at best giving them just 50min to mount a rescue of 2,200 people.

The next closest ship was the Carpathia at 58 miles away. Her top speed was 13 knots and Captain Rostron would later claim the ship got up to 16 knots. We know that it took them three and a half hours to reach the area of the wreck. The Olympic was 400 miles away and could never have reached the site in time.
Posted on: 2008/8/19 3:57
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.