Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic news
  Is filming the Titanic wreck disrespectful?

Browsing this Thread:   67 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Is filming the Titanic wreck disrespectful?

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm not very particular to bringing up artifacts from the Titanic, although I do think that James Cameron is on to something with his 2005 broadcast. It would be great to sent some rov's like Mr. Cameron had and film the insides that they can and post it up like a "virtual museum". That way the amount of dive's to the site hopefully would decrease.
This is really a good question, as yes the Titanic is a gravesite, but archeologists call it an archeolgic site,(which technicaly it also is) like they do with the tombs found in Egypt. So really, they will keep wanting to dive to collect items and investigate.

The problem with the arheological question, is that unlike the Egyptians tombs (which we knew relatively little about due to the thousands of years of time), Titanic is well documented, as well as the time period she came from. She had two almost identical sister ships to learn from. Many of their artifacts survived and are in museums and places all over England.

With that said, since we know relatively little about some of the passengers, you could make an arguement that bringing up a suitcase and trying to find paper documentation on someone would be archeoligical work and preserving the memory of that person...but then again....the grave tampering question rises!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/4/11 14:52
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
It's almost impossible to keep people away from the wreck of Titanic. But wouldn't it be the best thing if people let it get peace? Well, it's a historic ship, but it's also a tomb and I think the dead should be respected.
Posted on: 2007/4/11 12:15
  •  Rowan
      Rowan

From
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not very particular to bringing up artifacts from the Titanic, although I do think that James Cameron is on to something with his 2005 broadcast. It would be great to sent some rov's like Mr. Cameron had and film the insides that they can and post it up like a "virtual museum". That way the amount of dive's to the site hopefully would decrease.
This is really a good question, as yes the Titanic is a gravesite, but archeologists call it an archeolgic site,(which technicaly it also is) like they do with the tombs found in Egypt. So really, they will keep wanting to dive to collect items and investigate.
Posted on: 2007/4/11 1:32
  •  kurt w
      kurt w

From
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I wldnt say that it is direspectful . However d ship is decaying fast and filming it just adds gloominess 2 d whole subject.V shld film it once and for all on its 100th anniversary and make a documentary titled "titanic:100 yrs later " for television viewing and place a memorial placard on it and let it rest in peace thereafter.I certainly dont want 2 c images of parts of it collapsing time and again and broken windows hanging from its cabins .
Posted on: 2007/4/11 0:34
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I thought I might bring back the topic into the right context with a response.

If the majority of people believe that Titanic is a tomb, then we need to treat her like a tomb. And that means not just the end of salvaging, but also interior exploration. Possibly even ending submersables landing on her decks for filming the exterior as well.

Do not get me wrong. I am not against looking inside Titanic's insides.

However, I do believe there is a major contradiction in regards to the hallowed gravesite question, when you prod and poke the insides of the Titanic, and other "gravesites" like the USS Arizona and Edmund Fitzgerald are protected from interior exploration.

If people are curious into looking inside the tomb, then that is just one more reason and argument for the urge to take things from the tomb.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/4/3 18:48
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Debating about raising the ship is folly; it won't happen. If we really need to have an Olympic class liner raised, why not Britannic, which isn't a grave site? That ship is preserved far better Titanic. I don't personally feel that we need to raise that one either, but that may actually be possible, while the Titanic is beyond hope of ever seeing the light of day again.

Back to the OP, I'm rather torn. Filming it keeps the memory of those lost alive for generations that would otherwise have forgotten them. It reminds us of the tragic end which befell them and in a way is a memorial in itself, as it continues to tell their story. On the other hand, it seems that as a grave site, it should receive more respect.

Removing objects from the wreckage is just plain wrong. While I do agree with Danny J about the body being simply a shell, those bodies house people who were loved and cared for. Who were mourned when the ship went down. The families of the lost fully expected that the ship would remain a grave for them and be honoured as such. The finding of the ship allowed those families some sense of closure. Disturbing the wreck by removing artifacts from it is disrespectful to those families.

I understand the desire for relics; they allow us to touch a piece of the past. But the Titanic is gone and her passengers (those who didn't get rescued) are dead. Let them rest.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/4/3 17:37
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DANNYJ wrote:
They raised a piece of the hull so if bringing it whole up they can take it piece by piece and those bodys meann nothing. it was just a shell carrying a soul. that soul is in heaven now. the grave site is nothing. like they say... Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust

For some people those bodies mean something, and so does the Titanic. Those people down there is probabely someones grandfather, grandmother... you name it. Bringing the ship up to the surface will be like disturbing the tomb peace - even though the bodies now are gone. I think the ship should stay were it landed for nealy 95 years ago, it must also be the final wish of those people who perised that fateful night.
It's just my oppinion.
Posted on: 2007/4/3 11:59
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
It depends. To raise it is disrespectful and to take stuff is also respectful, but if is to save it in any way is respectful. In my opinion, I think Titanic should be saved.
Posted on: 2007/3/10 3:55
  •  Bea Kratz2
      Bea Kratz2

From
Group:
Registered Users
YES YES YES.
Just because some people in this world want to get RICH and they do it by filming something that shouldn't be filmed doesn't mean we HAVE to see what they're filming. I don't think it's good that they filmed it for the movie. I don't mind that they filmed it to learn more about what happened and see what was left behind and not rotted. I think that it's ok for research purposes but definetely not for money filming purposes. (although I think Titanic was good... It's my FAVORITE movie. ) sorry I just LOVE smileys!!
Posted on: 2007/3/8 21:23
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
You make a good argument Danny!

Some people think that taking stuff from the Titanic is preserving her memory.

However, is just because a body is no longer there make the place any less special?

Think of a cemetary. The bodies and coffins actuall do rot away, especially if the ground is wet, and bones can dissolve.

So would it be ok to take a tombstone from a grave if this happens?

Well, many people that died on the Titanic do not have a tombstone. So, some people think that the ship itself should remain as one as long as it can.

But Titanic is rusting away, and will soon crumple to dust. So even Titanic will not be a tombstone forever.

Also, because of the rust, Titanic is too fragile to raise whole. It would just fall apart. They could try to do it piece by piece, but it would cost more money than the world probably has!

Its good though you think about these questions. My friends and I here like to talk about Titanic!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2007/2/27 22:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.