Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  stanley
      stanley
Captain J. Smith

From Buckeye Arizona / 40miles/63km w. of Phoenix Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
I'm trying to research the back ground of Capt. J. Smith.
When did he first go to sea ?
What all ships did he serve on ?
What kind of problems did encounter ?
What kind of accdents did he have ?
Any reports about his seamen ship + or -
Where can I find this Information ?

I know his wife was killed by a drunk taxi driver, in front of her home.
I know where he lived
Posted on: 2005/7/13 14:02
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  U_just_might_sink
      U_just_might_sink
Re: Captain J. Smith

From arizona
Group:
Registered Users
Well I dont really have that information, but i know it was his fault the Titanic sank. If he hadnt bioled another knot the accident wouldnt of happened.
Posted on: 2005/7/14 18:37

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I can only help a little am afraid, I know more about the ships than the people on them.

In 1912 he had been at sea for 30 years, or 26 I am not sure, I have conflicting bits of information here.

He served with white star, so he commanded some ships they had I think, ships like the Celtic one of white stars big four. Then he worked on the Rms Olympic and then the Rms Titanic, the two largest ships he would ever sail on.

Apart from the obvious accident that befell Titanic, he also nearly caused her to strike another ship in Southampton, just as the ship was pulling out of dock. He did the exact same on Titanic sister ship 'Olympic' one year before, but that time they actually did strike another ship (HMS Hawke).

Only thing I can think of about sea men is that the same pilot on Olympic that caused the accident almost did the same exact thing on its twin sister Titanic. That’s really all I can help with, perhaps consulting other authors and such you may get the info you seek.

Good day
Posted on: 2005/7/15 13:45

From Crooksville,Ohio and Zanesville,Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I know that he was a great man.
Posted on: 2005/9/9 0:17
  •  alysse3521
      alysse3521

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of things didn't go the way others believe they should have and the captain did his part in sinking the Titanic. (a crying shame) But to lay the blame on just one person is not right. He was the captain and should hold the mojority of the blame but not all of it. He may have been a good man but he was getting older and made some mistakes, and thousands of people lost their lives because of it.
Posted on: 2005/10/26 18:01
  •  texaswildcat
      texaswildcat

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think Captain Smith had his part in the sinking. But there are a few more things to blame as much or more than him. First off the owner, there was not enough life boats in the first place and him pushing for a faster voyage in the name of headlines. i always though he just wanted to save only the first class passengers. then you blame Captain Smith for the fact that he (had an iceberg warning in his hand and) still lit another boiler just to make headlines.... well he made them didnt he. then Mr. Andrews... the ship builder is to blame..... he's built alot of ships.. he should have realized the rudder was too small for the size of her. but this is just my opinion based on what i've studied and learned thru my life.
Posted on: 2005/12/18 5:10
  •  RyanMck
      RyanMck

From Darwen, Lancashire, UK
Group:
Registered Users
"I think Captain Smith had his part in the sinking. But there are a few more things to blame as much or more than him. First off the owner, there was not enough life boats in the first place and him pushing for a faster voyage in the name of headlines. i always though he just wanted to save only the first class passengers. then you blame Captain Smith for the fact that he (had an iceberg warning in his hand and) still lit another boiler just to make headlines.... well he made them didnt he. then Mr. Andrews... the ship builder is to blame..... he's built alot of ships.. he should have realized the rudder was too small for the size of her. but this is just my opinion based on what i've studied and learned thru my life."

I think that is a very inconsiderate and highly disrespectful thing to say.
Also, it's flawed.
For one, the legend has it that Ismay was pushing Smith to speed up for a record crossing. Whether this really happened or not is a disputed fact, and will remain unknown.

Also, Thomas Andrews didn't design the Olympic class. Alexander Carlisle did, but when Carlisle left Harland & Wolff in 1910(11?), Andrews, being shown nepotism by his uncle Pirrie, took over.
Posted on: 2006/1/25 3:58
  •  AirBear
      AirBear

From Alabama USA
Group:
Registered Users
After reading "Unsinkable," I've learned more than any other medium regarding the Titanic's sinking. Two boards of inquiry were conducted which, to my understanding, both were unable to directly blame any one circumstance or fault. A quantity of several issues including the Board of Trades inadequate requirement for sufficient life boats, Mr Ismays mere presence fostering the company representatives to "push harder," the lack of attention to ice berg warnings, no 24-hour marconi operation and the insufficient actions on part of the California even though she was close aboard. Were those lives given in vain? I don't think so as many of the maritime laws of today were the direct result of Titanic's sinking.
Posted on: 2006/1/26 16:25
  •  jpmorgan
      jpmorgan

From uk
Group:
Registered Users
stanley mate just type into google your questions and behold your answers will be answered
Posted on: 2006/4/10 20:44
  •  stanley
      stanley

From Buckeye Arizona / 40miles/63km w. of Phoenix Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
I would like very much to thank all of you who have responded to my request for infomation on Capt. J. Smith early years of seamen ship. but I'm trying to wright a story about Capt. Smith, and how he might have gotten started in saling. can any one give me any info on his early years, or tell me where to look?
my personnel E-mail is ()
Posted on: 2006/5/18 6:12
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.