Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Chief officer Henry Tingle Wilde

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
Is there anyone else out there that thinks it a bit odd that so little seems to have been recorded in print or film about Mr H.T Wilde?
He was after all the CHIEF officer on board the Titanic; What was he doing before and particularly during the sinking? I have never come across more than a brief mention about him from anyone, he also hardly appears on any of the films which points to little being known about his actions on that night. The surviving officers do not seem to have mentioned him much either, why?
Perhaps he was below decks for most of the time trying to control things down there, who knows?
Any ideas? :?: :?: :?:
Posted on: 2003/10/2 1:23
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
you might want to have a look here for an insight into the life of mr wilde.

http://www.nautical-papers.com/onwatch/wilde/wilde.html
Posted on: 2003/10/2 11:08
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Mr H. T Wilde

Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for that link bess, it was very interesting. It covered a number of angles quite nicely, but as the article makes clear, information about Mr Wildes movements on that night is patchy.
Incidentally, I hope that I haven't given the impression that I think that Mr Wilde was shirking his duties. I just wanted to make the point that not much is known about this subject. :)
Posted on: 2003/10/2 22:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i know what you meant, :wink: .
i cant remember if i read it on that site but someone recalled seeing Wilde on the bridge smoking a ciggerette, if thats any help to you :)
Posted on: 2003/10/2 23:14
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Mr H. T Wilde

Group:
Registered Users
Yes I saw that quote on the site that you posted.
I also strongly suspect that he did help with the boats, as he was almost deffinatley seen. But there would have been a lot else happening on that night and it strikes me that he was probably not on the boat deck as much as some of the other officers. :)
Posted on: 2003/10/3 1:08
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
by looking at the inquiry testimonies, many people confirm that wilde was at many of the life boats during the night. #8 (crawford, british inquiry), #2 (boxhall, american+british inquiry), #10 (jougin, british) #14 ( scarrott ,british inquiry) and collapsible c (rowe, american inquiry)

boat #2 was lowered at about 1:45 am, thats only 35 minutes before the ship sank, so i wouldnt say he wasnt on deck as much as the other officers, just perhaps that nobody could recall seeing him, even though they might have done, or that those who could give us a clear picture of his actions went down with the ship; however thats just my opinion :wink:
Posted on: 2003/10/3 12:38
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Mr H.T Wilde

Group:
Registered Users
Fair points. I suppose it's about time I started re-reading my books. 8)
Posted on: 2003/10/4 2:25
  •  Lights
      Lights

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have always found Mr. Wilde fascinating...it seems as if, of all of TITANIC's officers, he is the least visible in the historic record. About all I know about him is that he was in line to assume command of [i:65b060c0c2]Cymric[/i:65b060c0c2] before sailing on [i:65b060c0c2]Titanic[/i:65b060c0c2], but the coal strike delayed his doing so, and that he lost his wife on Christmas Eve of 1911 after also losing the twin boys to which she'd given birth earlier that month.
Posted on: 2004/2/21 21:02
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Bess,
I just read all the information on the site you posted about H. T. Wilde. There is some great stuff on there!!
Betty
Posted on: 2004/2/24 14:14
  •  Lights
      Lights

From
Group:
Registered Users
I thought I had read someplace that he was at the boats and working with them...in fact, I was under the impression that he worked both port and starboard sides and that the last place he was seen was on the starboard...
Posted on: 2004/2/24 18:19
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.