Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Any news on Nomadic?

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone heard any news on Nomadic lately on how its restoration is going?

I went to its new webpage but did not see much.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/10/11 18:47
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk
Re: Any news on Nomadic?

From Bangor, Northern Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
The restoration is starting. The charitable trust has been set up to oversee the work( and indeed her future).This past weekend, all the fittings in Nomadic from when she was a restaurant in Paris are being removed in preparation of the restoration work. Check out the news report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6096392.stm
Posted on: 2006/11/1 22:27

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Since July, I haven't heard anything either but as I am not a Belfast native there will be little chance to know it first.

Does any one know what they are going to do with the restaurant fittings and if they allow photos on board the nomadic before it is being rebuilt?

Thanks
Posted on: 2006/11/1 22:47

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Hello Strider_UK!

Nice to see you again, I've noted the Nomadic in the Cavehill picture collection as well as you noted but the whereabouts of the ship at this moments isn't known maybe we need to start a nomadic forum to get more input.

Anyway, is there any good nomadic website out there?

Still related to Nomadic, I have created a Belfast feature "Titanic Attraction: Belfast" with the graphic banner on the frontpage and below every page, it doesn't emphasize nomadic as much as i wished since there is so little news comming out this way. Maybe they mean to keep it silent until they have actually rebuilt the ship? It will take quite long..

Where will the Nomadic be placed after it is rebuilt? will there be a contest between different municipalities? Will the Ulster Folk Museum be a prospect candidate?

Thanks
Jelle
Posted on: 2006/11/1 22:53
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk

From Bangor, Northern Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Jelle,
It seems as if nothing is happening with Nomadic, but behind the scenes, a lot is happening. The first thing that had to be done was to set up the Charitable Trust to oversee the restoration work and her future. This was done in October; see
http://www.nics.gov.uk/press/sd/061011c-sd.htm
Now this is done, the work can at last start. This last weekend(just before Hallowe'en) work started by removing all her interior fittings to strip her back to a shell.(See the link at my previous post).
She is still in the same position as in your photos for this same reason.
There are many people here in Northern Ireland who want to see her open as soon as possible, but I don't know if she will be open for viewing straight away, or if we will have to wait until she is fully restored. I will let you know as soon as I hear.

The best site for info about her is http://www.nomadicpreservationsociety.co.uk/
which is run by the group behind the project.

As far as where she will end up, it will be somewhere in the Harland & Wolff area, probably the Hamilton Dock(the small dock on the left just before the old H&W building), I doubt it it will end up at the Folk & Transport Museum at Cultra - too far away.

As soon as I hear any news about her(ie, serious restoration work, movement, open for viewing), I will publish them on this site to share them with other members.

If I can be of help to anyone who wishes to come to Belfast to visit Nomadic, Harland & Wolff & the rest of the city, please contact me at

Thanks
Strider_uk
Posted on: 2006/11/2 23:46

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Hello Strider_UK,

Thanks for the Insight,

It is very brave of the Belfast council or collectively the Ireland government to purchase the ship, That they setup the fund now is also a good thing for donation possibilities. I feel the need to donate already!, maybe by donating above a certain amount would get my site name listed there too!.

As you are living quite close to Nomadic's position, You must be in a good position to know more than others maybe it is time a news category Nomadic is opened on this site also for some extra exposure to their cause with full credit and links offcourse, but perhaps it could better be left to be the responsibility of the nomadic foundation.

Is the Hamilton Docks the docks like the size where the Navy ship is parked but then located behind the drawing HQ? would be a good fit in size I would say if that would be the case.

As for the additional news, It might be good that you become the outpost as it were for Nomadic and Belfast issues so that we have a sense of up to date here.

All too often it seems like Nomadic is lost again but the governmental bid was a delight at any rate.

Thanks for posting!

I am also onto fixing the post count, but it shouldn't bother long time users that don't concern about post counts but qaulity posts like you! Strider_UK, not to mention more than 50 high quality Photos.
Posted on: 2006/11/5 0:11
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.