Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk
New Titanic Documentary

From Bangor, Northern Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
The following is a news story which appeared in the Sunday Telegraph (London, UK) on 10 June 2007. It blames the builders, Harland & Wolff for the tragedy;

Revealed: Titanic was doomed before it set sail

By Jasper Copping, Sunday Telegraph

The Titanic faced disaster from the moment it set sail, experts now believe.

Research suggests that, even if the ocean liner had not struck an iceberg during its maiden voyage, structural weaknesses made it vulnerable to any stormy sea.The flaws, uncovered by researchers who found, filmed and analysed previously undiscovered portions of the Titanic's keel, also reduced the length of time the vessel remained afloat after hitting the iceberg on April 14, 1912 - scuppering the chances of rescue boats sent to the scene arriving in time and thus condemning hundreds of passengers and crew stranded on board to death.To date, the received wisdom has been that after striking the iceberg, water flooded into the ship. The weight of the water in the bow forced the vessel's stern to rise until, when it reached an angle of 45 degrees, the ship snapped in half and sank.It is that version of events that was depicted in the 1997 Oscar-winning film Titanic, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate WinsletHowever, the findings of the new research project, a collaboration between the History Channel and Lone Wolf Documentary Group, an American film company, suggest that the Titanic broke in half when its stern had reached an angle of just 10 degrees - a scenario that could have occurred in heavy seas during any severe storm, never mind in the aftermath of hitting an iceberg.Rushmore DeNooyer, who led the project, said: "Titanic broke at a very shallow angle, yet ships experience shallow angles like this in storms, when they are tilted up by large waves. So perhaps Titanic wasn't designed strongly enough. If the force that broke it was no greater than the force it would have faced in a hurricane, ergo, it could have been broken in a hurricane."Clues to the fundamental weakness in the Titanic's design emerged after a submersible, sent to dive the wreck two years ago, discovered and filmed previously unlocated parts of the ship. Analysis of the footage allowed researchers to calculate the angle at which the Titanic was tilting when it broke up.The team also found parts of the rearmost of the vessel's two "expansion joints" - fitted near the bow and the stern - which were supposed to allow the hull to flex in heavy seas. Analysis, however, suggests that they were poorly designed and may have contributed to the ship breaking up at the shallow 10 degree angle.Roger Long, a naval architect who worked on the project, said: "The design of the expansion joints in the ship was so unimaginably crude."To test their theory, the team also dived on the Britannic, the Titanic's sister ship, which was also built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast and sank in 1916 in the Mediterranean after hitting a mine.They found that the builders had altered the design and fitted an extra expansion joint, prompting suspicions that the yard was aware of the faults with the Titanic.The shallow angle at which the Titanic buckled is also believed to have contributed towards the 1,500 death toll.The researchers believe that many, assuming the vessel would stay afloat for hours, remained on board in the warmth. However, the ship sank just two hours and 40 minutes after the collision. Less than two hours later, the Carpathia arrived on the scene and pulled 705 people in lifeboats to safety.Mr Long said: "The Titanic would have continued to float for a finite period of time if it had not experienced this structural failure. So if the ship's sinking was hastened by the early breaking, then there are almost certainly people who died because it broke."It only needed to float for a few more hours before the Carpathia arrived and one more hour could have given the lifeboats time to go back and get more people, as they were half full."The findings will form part of a documentary, Titanic's Achilles Heel, to be broadcast in America next weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/10/nwreck110.xml

Can someone watch this documentary and let us know what they think about it, please?

Strider_uk
Posted on: 2007/6/12 23:19
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: New Titanic Documentary

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting theory, but I would like to know what some other experts think about this.

Mark Chirnside. If you read this: Did Olympic hit any horrible storms to where she reached a 10 degree angle?

It seems to me that if Titanic had this serious a flaw, that her sisters would have met a similar fate in their lives on the sea.

(Or maybe this did not apply to the other Olympics since they were strengthened after Titanic's disaster?)
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/6/13 22:51
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
strider uk is a moderator now. I did not know that.
Posted on: 2007/6/14 15:59
  •  iharttitanic
      iharttitanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
In your doc. you said that the titanic actually snapped in half when it was at a ten degree angle but all of the eye witnesses accounts said it was almost straight up and down so I was wondering if I misunderstood what I read cause I am really bad at math or if this is just a theory or what
Posted on: 2007/6/16 1:17
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie

From
Group:
Registered Users
hes trying to say that the ship started to crack in half at ten degrees.

Posted on: 2007/6/16 1:42
  •  iharttitanic
      iharttitanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
o it STARTED to crack at a ten degree angle that explains it thank you I was kinda spaced out at the time when I was reading it
Posted on: 2007/6/17 2:35
  •  starr
      starr

From topeka indiana
Group:
Registered Users
i saw the docomentary it was very informative.
Posted on: 2007/6/19 14:33
  •  redairborne22
      redairborne22

From
Group:
Registered Users
Which brings me to the question I've brought up in a previous post. If the ship started to break up at at the 10 degree angle, why weren't there any witnesses? I good amount of people still managed to get off Titanic after she surpassed the 10 degree angle mark, yet no reports about steel cracking, unusual flooding (other than Boiler Room #4), decks separating, etc. Not to mention, wouldn't the lights had gone out a lot sooner due to the cables within the ship being stretched apart?
Posted on: 2007/6/19 16:00
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with redairborne22. Although I have not seen this documentary, it seems like it is more "theoretical" with a lack of eyewitness evidence.

I would also think that passengers would remember hopping or jumping over an open expansion joint (or remember people falling into them maybe).

Also, as I posted earlier, it would be nice to hear from other experts on Olympic, which I tend to believe survived storms where she achieved angles of 10 degrees down by the head (I mean, the ship was hit by a rouge wave once I think).
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/6/19 18:26
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie

From
Group:
Registered Users
ok, the ship started to crack from the BOTTOM, when this happened it could barely be seen. the reason people say she went down in one is because she broke from the bottom not the top (as seen in titanic '97) when she did brake apart she was not that far from the surface, so people out in the lifeboats didnt saw it go right under, they didnt see her split in two so far from the surface, because thats not what happend.
Posted on: 2007/6/19 20:21
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.