Poster Thread Rated:  8 Votes
  •  Titaniclover
      Titaniclover
Not the Titanic but the Olympic sank !

From Belgium
Group:
Registered Users
Hey ,
My name is charlotte , and i'm 17 years old !! I've been crazy about the titanic since i was eleven years old ! Yesterday , when i came home from school , my mother gave me an article printed out from the page of the Standard newspaper (a very well- respected newspaper in belgium) . She said she was really confused when she read this article ! And so am I !! The title was : Not the Titanic but the Olympic Sank ! i started reading the article , it seemed , after the olympic had a collision with a marineship , they said it wasn't allowed to set sail anymore ! So the americain multimillionaire JP Morgan , would loose 15 million EUro's ! So , because the titanic wasn't ready yet , they switched the names of the two grand ships ! They said they should sail against an iceberg . The californian was also in this little thing !!!they had blankets and food aboard ! But on that night , the californian made the mistake of the wrong location , so more then 1500 died that night !!!!

When i read this article i was really shocked ! Was it really possible that someone could do this for money ?? A person's life is priceless !! so that is why i am asking you , is this true ??? What do you think !! Please let me know , because i am really shocked and i would like to know what you thought !!

tnx greets Titanic PS : if there are any mistakes in this texte , Please forgive me because i am a belgian girl !!

Greets titaniclover
Posted on: 2004/10/2 12:07
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Not the Titanic but the Olympic sank !

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Hello Titaniclover,

It is a known theory, but i never seen it in the news papaer, I also know the standard newspaper here in the netherlands and its good to know that such an article came up.

Quote:

Titaniclover wrote:
Hey ,
My name is charlotte , and i'm 17 years old !! I've been crazy about the titanic since i was eleven years old ! Yesterday , when i came home from school , my mother gave me an article printed out from the page of the Standard newspaper (a very well- respected newspaper in belgium) . She said she was really confused when she read this article ! And so am I !! The title was : Not the Titanic but the Olympic Sank ! i started reading the article , it seemed , after the olympic had a collision with a marineship , they said it wasn't allowed to set sail anymore ! So the americain multimillionaire JP Morgan , would loose 15 million EUro's ! So , because the titanic wasn't ready yet , they switched the names of the two grand ships ! They said they should sail against an iceberg . The californian was also in this little thing !!!they had blankets and food aboard ! But on that night , the californian made the mistake of the wrong location , so more then 1500 died that night !!!!

When i read this article i was really shocked ! Was it really possible that someone could do this for money ?? A person's life is priceless !! so that is why i am asking you , is this true ??? What do you think !! Please let me know , because i am really shocked and i would like to know what you thought !!

tnx greets Titanic PS : if there are any mistakes in this texte , Please forgive me because i am a belgian girl !!
Posted on: 2004/10/2 12:15

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I suppose anything is possible. I mean, look at the terrorist attacks that happened here 3 years ago. Apparently people view human life differently. You say it's priceless, and Osama Bin Laden thinks it to be his GOAL to kill as many of us Americans as possible. So, in essence, the article you read COULD HAVE happened. Now, I'll tell you why I think it didn't.
Each ship registered with the White Star Line had a name, as you know, and each ship name was given a specific humber specifically for the purpose of identification. It's kinda like cars, each one has a VIN number. Now, I can't remember the Titanic's number off the top of my head, but, when they found the wreck of titanic they did ID the ship by the number on her hull. It was indeed the Titanic.
Also, the Titanic and Olympic did look somewhat alike, but keep in mind, decorations were almost completely different. I mean, if they wanted to sink the Titanic to collect on insurance and switch the names to make people think it was the Olympic, they'd have to pay the people who made it off. All the woodworkers and such would freak out as soon as the press of the day released pictures of the Titanic. The people that worked on it would go straight to the press and say "Wait!! I worked on the Titanic, and that's not her!!"
They'd spend more money paying people off to be quiet about it then they would get back in insurance. So, it wouldn't have been worth it!

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/10/2 13:45
  •  JBR101
      JBR101

From
Group:
Registered Users
It was the RMS Titanic. First, the Olympic and Titanic were different in appearance, the Prom. Deck being enclosed on the latter. Furthermore, both ships have many fixed items that were marked with the hull # (this is a number that identifies the ship from the start). All items recovered from the wreck that had a hull # did have the number designated for RMS Titanic. Further to that, many items from the Olympic were sold in auction, starting in the mid 1930's, that had the hull # from the Olympic. This is a conspiracy theory, not unlike any other urban legend. It would be impossible for every item containing the hull numbers to be switched on both ships. Think of it like the ship's DNA.
Posted on: 2004/10/2 20:20
  •  JBR101
      JBR101

From
Group:
Registered Users
Titanic was hull # 401.

Olympic was hull # 400.
Posted on: 2004/10/2 20:23
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Recently while doing research on the Titanic I have found a good bit of evidence that the ships were swapped. However why would the rich JP Morgan be desperate for insurance money????

I will post a list of pros and cons in the morning.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/10/2 21:23

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
were the hull numbers plated somewhere on the chassis like a car? i suppose they must have rubbed it off or something to get it going.

if they did swap it, probably they did it before it was fitted, while the test run was done.
Posted on: 2004/10/2 23:11
  •  tr_reb
      tr_reb

From Three Rivers, MI
Group:
Registered Users
Also, if i'm not misstaken, I believe both ships were a bit different not only in looks...but in the length too.
Posted on: 2004/10/7 3:51
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
i have heard this story before. its possible, but i dont believe in it. theres no point in sinking the olympic instead of the titanic. it just doesnt make sense. maybe the titanic had a bigger insurance than the olypmic but thats the only reason that i can think of that would be worth sinking titanic.
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
~ ~
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12108709
Posted on: 2004/10/11 18:14
  •  TitanicSmart
      TitanicSmart

From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
either way it wouldn't matter, because in the end, both ships sank!
Posted on: 2004/10/18 22:21
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.