Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Nomadic - Important - Please Read
Guest_Anonymous
Titanic and Olympic were far to big for Cherbourg's dock, so the White Star Line ordered 2 tenders to be built, the Nomadic and Traffic.

Both the Nomadic and Traffic took passengers out to the Titanic for Titanic's maiden voyage..and took passengers out to ships for many years after..as well as being used for war services during the world wars.

Sadly Traffic sank during world war 2 but Nomadic is still here today.

In about 1967 after Nomadic had retired she was bought and converted into a floating restaurant, in paris.

Unfortunately by 2003 she was derelict and in a bad state.

Last year all of her non original upper decks were removed so that she could be taken out of Paris, France.

She has since then been towed to La harve, France.

She is being sold at auction soon.

The point of this post is:

The Nomadic is the very last former White Star ship left that is not a wreck at the bottom of an ocean.

A Belfast, UK heritage group will be trying to buy her and return her to Belfast, were she was built in 1911 and restore her.

However if the Belfast group do not win the bid she could even be sold for scrap!

My company are going to be trying to raise as much money as we can to help restore her....and if she is sold for scrap we will be doing all we can to help save her.

Do you have any ideas on how we can help raise some money?
If she is sold for scrap have you got any ideas how we can help stop it?

Tom
Posted on: 2004/11/22 0:43
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  rose89
      rose89
Re: Nomadic - Important - Please Read

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
i guess put up fliers all over the town for titanic admirers. if they love titanic, then they would like to help, im sure. other than, i dont know.
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
~ ~
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12108709
Posted on: 2004/11/22 21:57
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
So what happened to the Nomadic
Posted on: 2004/12/9 23:25
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
She is still in France waiting to be sold.
Posted on: 2004/12/9 23:58
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
SS Nomadic
Guest_Anonymous
Much has been asked about White Star's ship Nomadic.
The ship was built at Harland and Wollf the year before Titanic,and she was used as a tender to take passengers to and from the Olympic and Titanic at Cherbourge,This ship ferried the first passengers to Olympic,and in April 1912 she did the same for the Titanic.
Nomadic saw service in both world wars,and was later to be used as a floating resturant on the Seine in Paris.More recently she has been left derelict in Le Harve France a tragic end to this ship.Campainers are trying to bring her back to Belfast but funds are sadly not forthcomming.Belfast Industial Heritage have been making inroads into this venture so that she can be restored to her former glory and added to the tourist quarter dedicated to the worlds most famous ship.amongst other attractions planned are the slipway where Titanic was built,The drawing offices where the blueprints where drawn up and the Thompson dock and pumphouse where she was fitted out.
An Estimated cost of purchasing Nomadic is somewhere in the region of £750,000 and the actual restoration costs could run into millions. There are Titanic exhibitions all over the world,but what better place to achieve all the above than in Belfast where it all begain.
The Nomadic is the last link with the Titanic we should not let her be scrapped.Once restored and back in her home port she could be one of the greatest attractions of the world.Nomadic is the last link with the ill fated Titanic and we should not let her dissapear into the mists of time.Lets have your views on this subject.
Posted on: 2004/12/10 14:41
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Tom just an idea,Why not offer a photo of her as she is for sale on the net and if your firm is sucessful in aquiring her offer on completion of restoration a futher photo.I'm sure the must be loads out there that would buy one of these.
booty
Posted on: 2004/12/10 15:55
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Yes, that is a good idea.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/10 16:03
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
I'd suggest contacting all the Titanic organizations you can find (Titanic Inc., Titanic Historical Society, etc.), then too any naval and nautical organizations, historical societies and museums. Seek investors, and of course there are loads of fans who would donate.

Good Luck and with all of our support
Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/10 18:37
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Tom,
futher to my suggestion,what about a collection of photo's of her made into a callendar and advertised on the web? you could also include an artists impression of what she might look like on completion of any proposed restoration.I have been playing around with computer graphics enhacing some photo's i have so i know it can be done.
Also i was wondering if you could help with a few questions for something i'm working on ??
1 How long would Titanic have taken to cross the Atlantic?
2 At what pier was she due to arrive at in new york.
3 What Date was the return trip set for.
4 And would she have won the coverted Blue Ribbon.
Cheers Booty :pint: :pint:
PS Going to Carrick on Shannon in Jan 2005 then on to Enniskillen, and hopefully get to Belfast at the end of the month.It would be nice to meet you if at all possible.
Posted on: 2004/12/11 15:30
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi,

Yes, that is a very good idea.

She would have taken 7 days but had she not sunk she would have probably landed in New York on the 6th night of her maiden voyage.

She was due to land at the White Star pier, which was pier 59.
Before Carpathia landed at her pier she stopped at Titanic's to lower 13 of Titanic's lifeboats.

She would have left New York on 20th April 1912. Her second voyage from Southampton, Uk would have started on May 1st 1912.

It is very unlikely that Titanic would ever have won the Blue Ribbon. Titanic's rival RMS Mauretania had the Blue Ribbon from 1907-1929 and come very close to geting it back after she lost it.

I probably will not be able to get to Belfast in January, sorry.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/11 18:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.