Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
Quote:

titanicboss-disabled wrote:
that documentry was really good and it said that the titanics rivits were way to week and all this made it the the ship was really weak and delacuit which madre the voyage evnj more dangers but if the rivoits were weak how comes olympin never sank and made it to the scrappers

I agree with your last statement. I get tired of pointing the finger of blame at Titanic's rivits and hullplates. People today I think blame the methods that were used back then and not take into consideration that this is what they knew; meaning, that it was not faulty by their standards, just our standards, 94 years later.

Its as if saying that the Confederates lost the battle of Gettysburg because they had muzzel loaders instead of M1 grands. If their guns were made better with modern technology, they might have won!

I guess that I find this discussion irrelovent because no matter how strong her rivits would have been, that iceberg would have opened her up. The forces of physics were just too much.

Good statement about Olympic. Although she did not hit an iceberg like her sister, she did get hit by the Hawk, and the ship rammed a German U-boat and I think she rammed and sank a Nantucket light ship. Her rivits did not cause her doom!

Actually, after a study by an American naval accident researcher, the Titanic's rivet mixture (slag) was wrong meaning they perished under less pressure than they should of. For those who don't know, slag is a mixture that is I guess supposed to make the metal stronger, however getting it wrong can make them weaker in the 1st place. Lot's and lot's of tiny fractures in the metal of the rivet's meant it they just gave way to the pressure of the berg. Bursting basically, leaving a good inch wide hole for water to come in. If we take into consideration, lot's and lot's of these rivet's did this, it would explain how the water was gettin it. The documentary also went into explain about how water was actually coming in from the bottom. Will have a look for it and tell you the name, it was a great documentary. Very scientific experiment, couldnt see a flaw in what the guy said really.
Posted on: 2006/10/18 23:42
Create PDF from Post Print
Subject Poster Date
     Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Mark Passwaters 2006/4/16 4:57
       Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic U_just_might_sink 2006/5/15 0:53
         Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Mark Passwaters 2006/5/16 4:15
     Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic LeoPlumtree 2006/5/17 21:50
       Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Mark Passwaters 2006/5/18 1:17
         Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic LeoPlumtree 2006/5/18 18:22
           Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Mark Passwaters 2006/5/18 23:36
             Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic U_just_might_sink 2006/10/8 2:00
               Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic MGY Friend 2006/10/8 20:09
                 Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Anonymous 2006/10/12 11:03
                   Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic yankeesfan#8 2006/10/15 6:10
                     Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Anonymous 2006/10/16 11:36
                       Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Anonymous 2006/10/16 12:22
                         Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Anonymous 2006/10/16 12:30
                           Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic MGY Friend 2006/10/17 14:42
                             Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Martyn 2006/10/18 23:37
                               Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic S.A.M. 2006/10/19 17:51
                                 Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Martyn 2006/10/19 23:43
                                   Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic S.A.M. 2006/10/20 17:04
                                     Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic h2oclub 2006/11/10 2:10
                                       Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic S.A.M. 2006/11/10 2:45
                             Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Martyn 2006/10/18 23:42
                               Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic MGY Friend 2006/10/19 14:50
                                 Re: The Iceberg That Sank Titanic Martyn 2006/10/19 15:51
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.

Copyright © 2006-2012 Titanic.com
Home Photos Advertise Link to us Flower Box