Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  boats752
      boats752
Re: Raising the Britannic: Replicating the Titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
why bother and whats the point? even if you raised the britannic, it would have to be totally dismantled to get all the deep down rust and corrosion, then slowly put back together, cost alot of time and money and I doubt a ship builder would want to tie up a dry dock or even a slip that long for a useless endevor
Posted on: 2005/12/2 1:19
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know about raising anything, but I do like the idea of replicating the Titanic. I remember when I was a little younger I read on the internet I think that it was Brittian was going to make like 2-3 replicas of the titanic. I was so estatic, but I didn't know how I would get there (I live in the US), I didn't have the money, and I've never flown in a plain and I've never been on a boat in the ocean. Unfortunately I never heard anything more of it. I would like to ride on a replica of the Titanic, but if they keep the prices that they were back then for first class a ticket was $4200.; Well in money today that is like $50,000. I don't have that money, but i would LOVE to have the accomidations that the first class passengers had. I've always admired the first class, but I know that I could never be one of them b/c I"ll never be rich. But anyways that is sort of off the subject, but I would as I stated earlier like to sail on a replica of the Titanic. Also if they did make a replica of the titanic, things could be worked out so that it would look just like it. maybe it'd have different engines, but things could be arranged to do things, I don't know, but I would like to ride on a ship like Titanic, except I wouldn't want to hit an iceburg and freeze to death in the north atlantic.
Posted on: 2005/12/11 12:18
  •  WSL4001
      WSL4001

From Pontiac, MI.
Group:
Registered Users
they will not raise the Britannic but myself I prefure to call the Britannic it's original given name of the Gigantic
Posted on: 2005/12/12 5:30
  •  ImaTitanicluvr
      ImaTitanicluvr

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think it would be cool if they replicated Titanic. I would love to ride in it just as long as it isn't made of iron. I had a dream where I had a chance to take a trip in Titanic with Cal (Billy Zane). It was absolutely amazing to be in that type of surrounding in Rose's place. I really wish they would make a Titanic replica and call it Titanic II or something like that.

-Tracy Byrd, song title is Keeper of the Stars
Picture of Tracy v
Posted on: 2006/2/2 23:49

From odessa,tx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bell wrote:
They should do what I've said. Britannic is under 400 ft of water u can even swim down to it but it is dangerous even for experienced divers. Build a glass dome around it and do a sort of underwater musem of her. Most ppl dont know of the new technology of replenishing the steel in the wreck. This technology doest mean they could raise her but it would garentee another 40 years of her. Titanic could be replenished to but it's more difficult to do that.

yes they should build a dome, pump all the water out and keep hoses with air supply from the surface through huge floating platforms that pump air down there. just a thought.
Posted on: 2006/2/4 2:54
  •  hendrick
      hendrick

From Georgia, U.S.
Group:
Registered Users
What an interesting concept! I know both the Titanic and her
sister liners were very similar. It is interesting to note that the
Britannic suffered stress fractures upon the bow hitting bottom
first just as the Titanic did.
I think it is possible to raise the Britannic, clean her up, reinforce her structurally and refurbish her in the decor of the
time of Titanic. She would not need engines or the boilers if she
was permanently docked except for ballast and tours of the
working spaces. Good Thread!
Posted on: 2006/4/2 11:13

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Although raising and "fixing" up Britannic does seem like a good idea, it also is not as easy a it may seem. Yes she is so close to the surface that when she sank, her bow hit the bottom of the sea and her stern was still out of the water. But, after 90 years on the ocean foor....it would still be a challenge beyond its worth. Building a exact replica of Britannic would be cheaper, the same with Titanic.
Posted on: 2006/4/20 17:51

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Plus, she's been declaired a war grave, for the 30 that were lost when she sank. This makes Britannic a protected site, which means - right! No touching! You have to get the permission from the Greek Government just to dive on the wreck. Also the wreck's owner Simon Mills (last I heard) would have to give his 'ok' for you to see her. I really doubt he'd say 'ok. raise the Britannic'. I far as I know, she won't be leaving the sea floor any time soon. Still, I'd like to see her, but before I do, I need to learn some Greek!
Posted on: 2006/5/23 5:47

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Although the talk of raising both will remain until they are both gone completely, it will never happen. Titanic and Britannic will always remain where they came to rest over 90 years ago. Also, Simon Mills did express interest in Dr. Ballards idea of putting camera's on the wreck site. Britannic would be perfect for such an underwater museum.
Posted on: 2006/5/23 19:09
  •  titanicfan05
      titanicfan05

From
Group:
Registered Users
I would love for them to raise both the Titanic and the Britannic. I realize they are underwater and the iron is weak and they are falling apart. However, because people died on these ships, they have become grave sites. So out of respect for those people, we should leave the ships alone, but gather as many artifacts and pictures as we can. I would love for them to bring these ships to the surface and set them up as exhibits. But I would rather them remain underwater and never as a museum than to disrespect those who lost their lives.
However, though it would be expensive, I do wish they would make functioning replicas of both ships. I know we have discussed how the cost would be astronomically high, but at the same time, the cost for Royal Carribean's new "Freedom of the Seas" was high as well. If they thought people would not travel on the replica of the Titanic because they thought it would sink or something, they could still make it into a museum. I know it may take a lot of money, but I am sure this kind of tribute would be a great way to remember all of those brave people.
Posted on: 2006/5/24 18:59
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.