Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  saswalo
      saswalo
Titan / Titanic

From Merseyside, England
Group:
Registered Users
As a new comer to this site I was interested to know if there have been discussions about the book Futility / Wreck of the Titan, which supposedly foretold Titanic's fate?
I wrote an article on it recently and so would be very interested in the opinions of people who know about the book and whether they believe the story or not.
I can well imagine this topic has been done to death but I tried to find previous threads on this topic but couldn't find any.

Thanks,

sas
Posted on: 2004/12/30 12:44
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Titan / Titanic

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
yeah ave heard of that the names used where changed in the 1920s and quietly re-released for money it was't originally called the titan but a can't prove this so
Posted on: 2005/1/2 22:44
  •  BlueSkies777
      BlueSkies777

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm Interesting... I read about it in "A Night to Remember".

I didn't think they made up the name "Titan" to make money. But even if they didn't and the name was Titan, it would be stupid to even consider that it means something... It was just a coincidence.

The word "Titan" Means big. Which is why they named the Titanic the Titanic. Back then, people's interest was on how big they could get machinery. The bigger, the better. The Titanic was the biggest ship in the world and pushed it as one.

It isn't out of the question that a young writer had a vision of people marketing a huge ship as a huge ship, and then sinking it.

It's the reason the story of Titanic is so fascinating, because it's like it came right out of a book, but nope, it really happened the way it did.

Posted on: 2005/1/6 3:12
  •  sundance
      sundance

From Molly Brown's home town
Group:
No forum
I have read the entire book. Not hard to believe the simuliar points of the story. First being the biggest and fastest was the norm of that time era. This was the time of prosperity and invention. The story would have to be written with a largest/fastest ship as a book about a average ship would be less novel. Of course if the ship sank in the Atlantic they would freeze to death or drown. It's not a mirrow reflection as many portray it. Here you read it and judge for yourself.

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/fort/titan.htm
A 1898 publication.

Read the novel here: http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/effluvia/twott.htm

American short story writer and novelist, was born the son of Andrew Robertson, a ship captain on the Great Lakes, and Amelia (Glassford) Robertson. Morgan went to sea as a cabin boy and was in the merchant service from 1866 to 1877, rising to first mate. Tiring of life at sea, he studied jewelry making at Cooper Union in New York City and worked for 10 years as a diamond setter. When that work began to impair his vision, he turned to writing sea stories, placing his work in such popular magazines as McClure's and the Saturday Evening Post. Robertson never made much money from his writing, a circumstance that greatly embittered him. Nevertheless, from the early 1890s until his death in 1915 he supported himself as a writer and enjoyed the company of artists and writers in a small circle of New York's bohemia. Robertson was found dead of heart disease in an Atlantic City hotel room.
Posted on: 2005/1/16 19:31

From United States
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad no one listened to her.
Posted on: 2005/11/28 1:08

From TITANIC'S DEEPERS
Group:
Registered Users
yes.. and i doubt someone would have listened to her..

all people thought titanic was unsinkable so what's the point believe what a person thinks about it?

that's how those people thought (sort of) haha
Posted on: 2005/11/28 2:38

From Santo domingo,DR and New york
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sundance wrote:
I have read the entire book. Not hard to believe the simuliar points of the story. First being the biggest and fastest was the norm of that time era. This was the time of prosperity and invention. The story would have to be written with a largest/fastest ship as a book about a average ship would be less novel. Of course if the ship sank in the Atlantic they would freeze to death or drown. It's not a mirrow reflection as many portray it. Here you read it and judge for yourself.

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/fort/titan.htm
A 1898 publication.

Read the novel here: http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/effluvia/twott.htm

American short story writer and novelist, was born the son of Andrew Robertson, a ship captain on the Great Lakes, and Amelia (Glassford) Robertson. Morgan went to sea as a cabin boy and was in the merchant service from 1866 to 1877, rising to first mate. Tiring of life at sea, he studied jewelry making at Cooper Union in New York City and worked for 10 years as a diamond setter. When that work began to impair his vision, he turned to writing sea stories, placing his work in such popular magazines as McClure's and the Saturday Evening Post. Robertson never made much money from his writing, a circumstance that greatly embittered him. Nevertheless, from the early 1890s until his death in 1915 he supported himself as a writer and enjoyed the company of artists and writers in a small circle of New York's bohemia. Robertson was found dead of heart disease in an Atlantic City hotel room.

At some point its scary, to write a fictional book and then comes a factfiction book.
Posted on: 2005/11/28 11:48
  •  Titanic Heart
      Titanic Heart

From
Group:
Registered Users
heyy were can u get book i want it! and im only ten
Posted on: 2005/12/15 22:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic