Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Johno
      Johno
Re: Artifacts sold...

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
edward i wouldn't mean to take any one of the ppl who died on the ships personal possestions that they intended keeping or they had on just artifacts from the wreckage, nothing from the ppl.

but even if i was to take someones tuxedo, what could they do , they are dead and their body would have rotted away till it was just a skeleton in a piece of clothing
Posted on: 2005/4/7 16:47
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
you're missing the point. let's use a different example. let's say that you needed 3 millioin dollars for a nice boat, a car and a cottage on the ocean. you need the 3 million bucks and bill gates happens to live in your hometown. he is away on a business trip, so you sneak into the house(we're saying that there's no security) and take 3 mil. he won't notice it right? i mean, he's got 17 billion dollars anyway so what does it matter if you take 3 mil? the point is that he worked to earn that 3 mil. those people who lost their lives while stuck in some grubby 3rd class cabin worked even harder for that nice doll that their daughter owns. even if you just took, oh let's say...a nice peice of china from the restaurant. who do you think had to buy that? the company. and these people are up here selling this stuff, and putting it in museums. seeing that behind the glass case doesn't really mean anything. it doesn't really remind you that 1,500 people died on that ship. it's like buying and autograph of manny ramirez, or barry bonds off ebay. it doesn't give you the satisfaction of being there and watching him sign the baseball. what would you do with the autograph that you bought off ebay? you'd sell it. and because i'm getting bored of typing this i'll stop, but do you see my point?
Posted on: 2005/4/7 21:04

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, but Bill gates is still alive to miss it is he not? But anyway I agree with most anti-salvaging, you can name.
Posted on: 2005/4/7 21:09
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
just about the only one that i'm not against is one where you take all of the NY Yankees stuff and burn it out in public where everyone can admire it's natural beauty. i mean, that's where it belongs isn't it? if you can call that salvaging then i'm all for it. lol. anyone else?
Posted on: 2005/4/7 21:24
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
If you brought back moonrocks (from the moon, lol) and you put them on display here on earth, people would go have a look at the rocks and say "ooh....ahhh" until the novelty wore off. Then people would be none the wiser about moonrocks and just plain old rocks from your backyard. Nobody would bother about going to see these moonrocks (from the moon, lol again). The point is that half of the mystique surrounding the artifacts is the location in which they are found. If you remove the artifact, you lose the mystique. The video footage regarding these artifacts inspire a greater impact on the audiences sences than an preserved shoe behind the pain of glass that looks like my grandads shoe at home. Thus these artifacts become spoilt. They loose their identity. And once they loose their identity they loose their ability to tell the story. The story of 1500 souls still waiting to reach distant shores...
Posted on: 2005/4/11 13:39
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't reep a grave if thats what you mean pat but i agree with you but i don't think the bill gates example explains alot because i mean 3 million is still alot and could buy alot and i think one of bill gates accountants would notice a dip in the amount of money he ha and would start to wonder were the money went to.

but it isn't important what i'm saying but i change my mind about the tuxedo thing, i would find it horrifying if someone stripped me of my clothes.
Posted on: 2005/4/11 15:32
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
maybe i exaggerated a bit. now u r finally seeing my side of things. (you wouldn't be horrified but the look on ur face would be ) i'm just totally against the grave-diggin thing. that pic of the tan oval thing is basically an ad for somone who wants to buy it
Posted on: 2005/5/9 20:20
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
People should also stop taking plaques down to the ship. On the last video I saw there were over 4 plaques near the telemotor in the wheelhouse and what looked like a bunch of shriveled up roses. In my oppinion one plaque would be enough
Posted on: 2005/5/11 10:35
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
yeah. i think it's wful how badly she is treated
Posted on: 2005/5/12 10:25
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. The mast for example did not just give way onto the forward well deck due to decay. It was in fact flattened by a sub when the ship's bell was recovered from the crow's nest.

People are causing greater damage to the wreck than ever before. People have lost the respect for the ship in order to make a profit and I am absolutely certain that it's only a question of time before the artifacts end up on e-bay. Consider this: If the artifacts were to be split up and sold, there would be no control over the "true artifacts". Anyone can then claim to have "phoney artifacts". This would taint the archeological practice for the sake of sensationalism...
Posted on: 2005/5/16 9:29
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.