Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  4 Votes
Re: To raise...or not to raise?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Even if there were an attempt to raise the Titanic, she would collapse into herself even before reaching the surface. Maybe it is better to let nature take her back. Look at it from this way. Before Robert Ballard discovered her, she was in better condition than she is in now. Since the almost three decades since her discovery, many "tourists" to the site have sped the process of her deterioration. There are the landing spots for the subs, which weaken that area of the ship, the numerous plaques left for her memory which seem now to litter the wreck, and more. It's better to leave the Titanic as she is, only taking artifacts from the debris field and taking as many photos as possible for future generations.
Posted on: 2005/7/25 19:20
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with bells idea of putting brittanic in a dome and fixing her.

it seems sensible enough and cunard would make money
Posted on: 2005/7/25 20:28

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Damm right because my ideas always have an unholly sence of comon sence ahahah
Posted on: 2005/7/25 21:11
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
yeah i guess so
Posted on: 2005/7/25 21:43
  •  401fanatic
      401fanatic

From England
Group:
Registered Users
To even attempt to raise the Titanic has two major factors:

1) Morals- it is a mass grave and the souls that were lost that night deserve some peace.

2) It is physically impossible- the type of technology doesn't even exist and even if it was she would disintergrate if it was even attempted

She's getting weaker. Give her and her paseengers peace to rest. She may not be with us much longer but that doesn't mean that she will be forgotten.
Posted on: 2005/7/25 21:53
  •  coolguy
      coolguy

From MY COMPUTER
Group:
Registered Users
yeah she going away quickly 2 things 1 did you know 200 pounds of titanic dissapper every day 2 did you see the pictures of the turcheh bath james cameran found it
Posted on: 2005/7/26 18:31
  •  WSLHistorian
      WSLHistorian

From United States
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and the only reason i'm even replying to this topic is because it is indeed a very sensitive one. It's always a topic up for discussion. I went on a vacation the past few days and I visited a Titanic exhibit (not the first ive ever been to). Inside it had many artifacts from the great liner, many brought up in 1994 when they had the major salvaging effort. I personally do not like salvaging of the Titanic. It "is" a gravesite and I think it should be left in peace. I don't mind a few plates, (since many weren't used ) a lump of coal or some bolts from the hull, but when someone's trouser's/suspender's/shirt and socks are laying about to be looked at by scores of people it seems very personal and wrong. Dr. Ballard's return visit in June of 2004 I believe was spectacular. Ballard and his team never once touched the Titanic, and even though they didn't you still got the same amazing effect when looking at the great ship with this new technology.

As far as raising it...you may as well just get that thought out of your mind. "Nothing is impossible" is a common phrase said about raising the Titanic. But this is probably 99.9% impossible. When artifacts are brought up from Titanic they have to be rushed to a special area to be preserved as quickly as they can because exposure to oxygen, sunlight, and the most important thing of all, having the 4,000 pounds per square inch of pressure lifted off of it can really put it into shock. Imagine trying to not only clear the Titanic's bow free of the mud and sediment it sits in, but trying to somehow attach a mechanism to it that will lift it without it crumbling. Then what do you do with it once its on the surface? There's no way possible as of now you could do such a thing. So many people lost their lives on the Titanic, its their monument now, and leaving it where it is right where it rested 93 years ago is a memorial to them that should be treated with the most dignity and respect that we can ever offer.

This is solely my opinion.
Posted on: 2005/7/27 3:50
  •  planetdiva
      planetdiva

From BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND
Group:
Registered Users
I partly agree, this is a grave site and it would be wrong to disturb the daed.
Although i do find it mildly interesting to be able to see at first sight, the Titanic in front of us.
It would practically be impossible to raise, but in my lifetime would i ever be able to experience gazing at the ship i have been interested in since the age of 12?
Without the aid of cameras and phoyography i mean??
Posted on: 2005/7/27 12:38
  •  WSLHistorian
      WSLHistorian

From United States
Group:
Registered Users
Good Question. I know at one time there was a certain group charging admission for trips down to Titanic in one of its subs, but as you can imagine the price was beyond high priced...
Posted on: 2005/7/27 14:54
  •  donkey
      donkey

From
Group:
Registered Users
well cudnt the bow section be raised? the stern is in a terrible state and wouldnt be worth raising., cudnt the titanic be brought up in very large plieces and put back together, even if the titanic was raised, most of it would need to be replaced so it wouldnt make much difference
maybe they shud think about locating and raising really reconisable bits such as the funnels and propellers and make a proper memorable.
if i died on a ship i wouldnt want it to fade away but be brought back to life , it wont be long before she totally disapears and that will be very sad because it will be a part of history what will only appear in books, films and websites.
if they can raise the mary rose , im sure they can raise the titanic

by the way all you titanic experts, how come titanic has managed to with stand the huge pressure of the water, surley the pressure would have crushed it almost straight away like a tin can?
Posted on: 2005/8/3 2:24
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.