Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Why didn't the crew see the iceberg sooner?

Browsing this Thread:   169 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  edward9139
      edward9139
Re: Why didn't the crew see the iceberg sooner?

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
well...that's a tricky one. i personally don't think they were stolen but wnder why there wasn't an extra pair aboard the ship. that strikes me as odd that a ship so luxurious wouldn't bring an extra pair of binoculars...
Posted on: 2005/5/13 10:20
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeffro wrote:
well also take into account that it was nearly the middle of the night when they saw the Iceburg so it would have been hard to see from a distance. in the end they did see it dident they but it was just too late.

Hello,

I'm not commenting on the nature of the iceberg debate -- the question surrounding the sighting of the iceberg, and whether it could have been seen sooner, has always generated a detailed dicussion. All I am asking here is why you believe the binoculars had been 'stolen'?

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 13:18

From Essex
Group:
Registered Users
well also take into account that it was nearly the middle of the night when they saw the Iceburg so it would have been hard to see from a distance. in the end they did see it dident they but it was just too late.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 12:20

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeffro wrote:
personally I think someone stole the binoculars.
Just image to yourself, if they dident leave em behind and/maby/or they wasent stolen. Titanic mite even still be around to this day.

Hello,

Why do you believe that someone stole the binoculars?

With regards to the sighting of the iceberg, as I've said, binoculars are more useful for identifying distant objects than scanning the horizon and spotting objects.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 12:08

From Essex
Group:
Registered Users
personally I think someone stole the binoculars.
Just image to yourself, if they dident leave em behind and/maby/or they wasent stolen. Titanic mite even still be around to this day.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 10:19
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mark Chirnside wrote:
Quote:

clinton wrote:
Because they left the binoculars and extra lifeboats ashore.

Hello,

There's no evidence that the binoculars were left ashore, and in any case my post above indicates some of the debate around the binoculars. There's much to question, and consider whether that debate is a 'red herring.' As for extra lifeboats, why would there be any additional lifeboats ashore prior to the disaster, when the requirement for additional lifeboat capacity was not apparent?

Best wishes,

Mark.

All the binoculars and lifevests in the world would not have saved the Titanic. Nobody will ever know for sure why the iceburg was not spotted earlier. Chances are the berg was nothing more than a growler and it could not have been seen till they were right on it. It's really a dead subject "why". If they had the binoculars would they have used them, were the lookouts engaged in conversation or even not paying attention at all! I have been on the Mississippi when ice flows break up and even on smaller water its easy to overlook ice flows 5 feet tall in darkness. Faith decided Titanic would sink and by God she did. Don't tempt God by declairing that "God himself can't sink that ship".
Posted on: 2005/5/11 17:53

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clinton wrote:

Hello,

There's no evidence that the binoculars were left ashore, and in any case my post above indicates some of the debate around the binoculars. There's much to question, and consider whether that debate is a 'red herring.' As for extra lifeboats, why would there be any additional lifeboats ashore prior to the disaster, when the requirement for additional lifeboat capacity was not apparent?

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/11 13:38
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Posted on: 2005/5/11 13:28

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Quote:

Sealord wrote:
Here are some facts that I learned from researching on the internet and from my own Navy training:

#1 - The Titanic's lookout who initially spotted the iceberg did not have binoculars...

While I realise that you know there is some debate as to this, I do think it's important to emphasize that binoculars are more important for identifying objects than sighting them. At least that's a view I've encountered several times. Then again, there's always a debate in that.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/11 12:11

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Quote:

glen_fitzger wrote:
Yeah & 37 seconds later she hits, so think if the engines hadn't been full astern she would of hit a whole lot quicker unless they turned at full speed of course then they would of missed totaly

While the figure of 37 seconds was the time the Olympic took to turn an estimated 2 1/2 points at around 21 1/2 knots, there's a fair bit of evidence putting Titanic's speed just over a knot higher -- so straightaway we have a small variation. The 37 second figure is from the time that the helm was shifted; in Titanic's case, it doesn't allow for the time before the helm was shifted, but after the lookouts had signalled their warning. So in my view, the 37 figure is incorrect. For instance, the estimate of 2 1/2 points might be wrong, and in any case no time is allowed for the 'hard a port' order which was later given.

As for the order of 'full astern,' nobody from the engine room (such as Frederick Scott or Thomas Dillon) recalled the engines being reversed before the collision. Boxhall is the only source for that order, and many people have come to believe that the engines were not reversed.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/11 12:09
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.