Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
Re: What would you change?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TITANICsoul wrote:
yes.. we were talking about the binoculars, geesh they got lost n' nobody knows how that happened...

I wouldn't say that at all. See Lightoller's, Lee's, and Symons' testimony at Lord Mersey's enquiry. The men's testimonies make for interesting reading.

One regarded theory, based upon testimony, is that after David Blair (the ship's original second officer) left the ship, he neglected to inform anyone as to what he had done with the binoculars. It has been theorised that Blair left them locked in his cabin (which became Lightoller's). Lookout George Symons asked Lightoller about them, but Lightoller had a quick look in one of the officers' cabins (possibly Murdoch's) and could not find them -- apparently not looking in his own. Chief Officer Wilde confirmed to Symons that there were no binoculars for the lookouts. As I've said, there's more information in the enquiry transcripts and report, but we do know that the remaining officers appeared to be unaware of the location of any binoculars.

Quote:
i think it was treachery on titanic....!

i'll post more stuff later, i'm in school lol

cyaaaa

I'm not sure if you're joking, but I hardly think 'treachery' would be the right description. Oversight...perhaps; incompetence...maybe. Hardly 'treachery,' especially in view of the widely held belief that the binoculars' importance has been exaggerated, and my own comments about how they can even restrict someone's field of vision.

If you're in school, try and enjoy it(!) -- the day goes much faster that way. ;)

Best regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/11/8 16:55
Create PDF from Post Print

From TITANIC'S DEEPERS
Group:
Registered Users
erm.. hahaha i don't like school! i cannot enjoy it lol don't know if you can.. =P

lol... i have never of what you wrote before.. lol

but there is a book called TITANIC&OLYMPIC, THE TRUTH BEHIND THE CONSPIRACY.. maybe you can buy it...

sorry but im kinda busy..!

cyaaaa
Posted on: 2005/11/8 22:55
  •  onix1996
      onix1996

From United States of America, Florida, St. Petersburg
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, people thought the Binoculars were left in South Hampton but they weren't left in South Hampton, People thought they were left and just saying I also Registered myself on this at school. I snook into the school library because the library has the only computers in the school, except the office, and signed myself up at a computer.

Katrina3000: Selling bow strings!
Katrina3000: Selling bs! Selling bowstrings!
Random noob: How do I make bull #OOPS#? (thinking bs stands for bull #OOPS#)

Every month or so I will make a new Runescape Funny

P.S. I'm katrina3000
Posted on: 2005/11/9 2:34

From TITANIC'S DEEPERS
Group:
Registered Users
oh?? n' what did you find out???
Posted on: 2005/11/9 2:47

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi TITANICsoul,

Quote:

TITANICsoul wrote:
erm.. hahaha i don't like school! i cannot enjoy it lol don't know if you can.. =P

Why would you assume I go to school, or that I am of school age? I did attend when I was younger, but I left school years ago.

Quote:
lol... i have never of what you wrote before.. lol

You mean the information about the binoculars? I hope you found it interesting.

Quote:
but there is a book called TITANIC&OLYMPIC, THE TRUTH BEHIND THE CONSPIRACY.. maybe you can buy it...

I saw the book’s text before it was published and helped with some of the research, so I don’t see much point in buying another copy.

Quote:
sorry but im kinda busy..!

Sorry about what?

Hi onix1996,

Quote:

onix1996 wrote:
Actually, people thought the Binoculars were left in South Hampton but they weren't left in South Hampton, People thought they were left and just saying I also Registered myself on this at school. I snook into the school library because the library has the only computers in the school, except the office, and signed myself up at a computer.

See my post above, where I said: ‘One regarded theory, based upon testimony, is that after David Blair (the ship's original second officer) left the ship, he neglected to inform anyone as to what he had done with the binoculars. It has been theorised that Blair left them locked in his cabin (which became Lightoller's). Lookout George Symons asked Lightoller about them, but Lightoller had a quick look in one of the officers' cabins (possibly Murdoch's) and could not find them -- apparently not looking in his own. Chief Officer Wilde confirmed to Symons that there were no binoculars for the lookouts. As I've said, there's more information in the enquiry transcripts and report, but we do know that the remaining officers appeared to be unaware of the location of any binoculars.’

I’d be interested in seeing any primary source evidence that indicates that the binoculars were actually taken ashore at Southampton and left there…There would be no reason to take them ashore in the first place, IMHO.

Best regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/11/9 10:08

From TITANIC'S DEEPERS
Group:
Registered Users
SORRY... I THOUGHT U ARE MY AGE...! LOL N' FOR THE BOOK THAT'S A GOOD..!

YUP I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT .. I MEAN THE BINOCULARS LOCKED IN AN OFFICE ROOM...
Posted on: 2005/11/9 23:02

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Titanicsoul,

No worries, I'm sure I was your age once, if I am now older than you!

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/11/10 16:54
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
What I don't get is how some of you all make comments (the silly comments specifically) about what you would have done to make it better. You really think you are that much smarter than Andrews (or the crew for that matter)? Titanic was already technological miracle for her time, and you think you could have done better?

How about this, pretend you know very little of why/how she sink (decisions made by crew). Or even pretend like it hasn't happened. Just use what you know about the ship's structure. Now tell me what you would do and why. Try just using some physics here; just really put your self in the shoes of the crew.

Personally I can't say that I'd done much different. I know I wouldn't have killed the engines to avoid the ice. I could say I would have been cautious when I got a couple ice warnings, then later noticed a drop in temperature. I would have stopped. But I don't really know what Smith's motivations for moving on were. Most likely i would have left the rudder as it was, and left the hull as it was. I probably would have brought all the bulkheads up.

Jessica
Posted on: 2005/11/10 19:09

From United States
Group:
Registered Users
Very nice. Stay in school, it's important.Quote:

TITANICsoul wrote:
yes.. we were talking about the binoculars, geesh they got lost n' nobody knows how that happened...

i think it was treachery on titanic....!

i'll post more stuff later, i'm in school lol

cyaaaa
Posted on: 2005/11/22 22:13
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GooseGrl172 wrote:
What I don't get is how some of you all make comments (the silly comments specifically) about what you would have done to make it better. You really think you are that much smarter than Andrews (or the crew for that matter)? Titanic was already technological miracle for her time, and you think you could have done better?

How about this, pretend you know very little of why/how she sink (decisions made by crew). Or even pretend like it hasn't happened. Just use what you know about the ship's structure. Now tell me what you would do and why. Try just using some physics here; just really put your self in the shoes of the crew.

Personally I can't say that I'd done much different. I know I wouldn't have killed the engines to avoid the ice. I could say I would have been cautious when I got a couple ice warnings, then later noticed a drop in temperature. I would have stopped. But I don't really know what Smith's motivations for moving on were. Most likely i would have left the rudder as it was, and left the hull as it was. I probably would have brought all the bulkheads up.

Jessica

The human element (at the time) had a few flaws. Certainly with respect to the ice warnings that were not taken to the bridge. The human decision to carry less lifeboats that were needed.
Posted on: 2005/11/23 11:35
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.