Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  5 Votes
Re: What happened to Captain Smith in the final moments

From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
Aww. yeah I could also see him doing that.
Posted on: 2006/1/1 9:34
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Captain
      Captain

From
Group:
Registered Users
Well, there are many stories. Here's all of them:

1: Smith was seen (by a five year-old) raising a gun to his head and shooting himself. At the docks an officer that knew Smith said, "I shouldn't think so! SHOT HIMSELF! That wasn't the old chaps way of going. Smith would have stayed at the bridge till he was washed clear or drowned."

2:Harold Bride said Smith cried, "Be British, boys! Be British." Then as the bridge plunged under Smith dove into the water.

3:Smith swam to Lifeboat B. "There's the skipper!" one of them said. "Give im' a hand!" When the man reached out Smith said, "Goodbye, boys. I'm going to follow the ship." He was then seen to swim back and then he stopped in the water and sank.

4:One survivor reported seeing Smith in the wheelhouse. He said that the water covered the floor of the open bridge and the water rose to the doors and windows of the wheelhouse. He said he climbed onto the wheelhouse roof and stood knee deep in water. Then something made the water whirpool, like water pouring into the wheelhouse.

I believe myth number 4.
Posted on: 2006/1/5 22:44

From Manchester England
Group:
Registered Users
We will never know the truth now. The 1912 papers depicted him in a theatrical way tho.

Attached file: jpg  Captain smith & baby.jpg (88.01 KB)

4147_43bf2bd2471f8.jpg 1130X881 px

Attached file: jpg  Be British.jpg (115.45 KB)

4147_43bf2c08d7b6d.jpg 1098X881 px
Posted on: 2006/1/7 2:47

From
Group:
Registered Users
he didnt he swam to a collapsable boat a
Posted on: 2006/3/21 8:31
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
You sound very sure about that. I wonder where do you get you're Information as we are all saying what we think happend?
If you have good resources share them with us.
Posted on: 2006/3/21 15:33

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm. Very Interesting. I've heard one other "scenario" not mentioned (or at least, I've not seen it).

Captain Smith swims to the overturned lifeboat. He calls out to the people on the boat and tells them " Carpathia is on her way" and tells them to "hold on". He then swims back to Titanic and never seen again.

Personally, even if he had the baby or not, I believe this is what happened to him.

Of course, no one really knows for sure, but I like polls like this.

Have a nice day :^)
Posted on: 2006/4/8 4:42
  •  titanicfreek
      titanicfreek

From My house. Usa
Group:
Registered Users
He wouldn't shoot himself. He was too noble for that.I don't believe he would go into the wheelhouse and just drown in there. I also heard the stories of him swimming with a baby to one of the Lifeboats and then swimming back to Titanic. I think since only a few people claim to have seen him doing a number of things means that not that many people were paying attention to what happened to him. The were more worried about themselves.I would really like to know how he died. But were not going to know.

"To, the stars..."
Posted on: 2006/5/9 21:21
  •  titanicfan05
      titanicfan05

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard two theories (and I say theories because we probably will never know the truth)-
1. He swam to one of the lifeboats and handed them a baby then swam away.
2. He remained on the ship- he called for the boats to come back and in the end, he went into the wheelhouse and that is where he was last seen (as in James Cameron's film 'Titanic').
Either way, I think he was a noble and brave man.
Posted on: 2006/5/10 0:05

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
There are so many theories surrounding what Captain Smith's final moments were it's unreal. I'll list a few:

#1. Captain Smith is last seen standing on the bridge as Titanic sinks.

#2. Captain Smith is reported by Harold Bride as jumping from the bridge into the water just as it was about to be submerged.

#3. Another passenger claims Smith said "Be British boys, be British" before going under with the ship.

#4. Captain Smith is seen handing a child to a lifeboat, and after attempting to bring him aboard the boat, he shook it off and swam a short distance before becoming still. There are several stories with Smith handing a infant child to those in a lifeboat.

#5. A passenger reports that Smith was washed off the deck of the Titanic when she lunged forward.

#6. One of the most interesting stories of what happened to Captain E. J. Smith goes was reported Captain Peter Pryal in the Baltimore, MD Press on July 20th 1912. "Captain Pryal, one of the oldest mariners in Baltimore and well known in shipping circles, who sailed with Captain Smith when he was the commander of the Majestic, made the startling statement today that he saw and talked to Captain Smith at Baltimore & St. Paul Streets. He declares he walked up to Captain Smith and said, 'Captain Smith, how are you?' Then the man answered, 'Very well, Pryal, but please don't detain me, I am on business.' He says he followed the man, saw him buy a ticket for Washington, and as he passed through the gate of the railway station he turned, recognized Pryal again, and remarked 'Be good, shipmate, until we meet again.' 'There is no possibility of my being mistaken,' said Captain Pryal, 'I have known Captain Smith too long. I would know him even without his beard. I firmly believe that he was saved and in some mysterious manner brought to this country. I am willing to swear to my statement. Many persons may think I am insane, but I have told Dr. Warfield of the occurrence and he will vouch for my sanity.' Dr. Warfield said that Captain Pryal was perfectly sane. The captain is well-to-do and is a consistent church member."

That one of course seems outragously false, since someone would have to have known Smith made it off the ship and into or "onto" a lifeboat somehow. These are just a few of the many theories that have been reported of Smith's last moments. We'll never know exactly what happend to Captain Smith...but we can always speculate eh?
Posted on: 2006/5/10 1:07
  •  U_just_might_sink
      U_just_might_sink

From arizona
Group:
Registered Users
well according to the movie titanic, he was last seen in his captains quarters where the big steering wheel was (sorry i forgot what it is called) but im pretty sure its not historic. but that could be a possibility
Posted on: 2006/5/14 19:02
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.