Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  jackandroseforever
      jackandroseforever

From Australia
Group:
Registered Users
what i was saying is thats what i read too somewhere. I know that the the movie is quite different from the real thing, but i was just saying it from the movie point of view. :)
p.s. sry if i confused you. :?
Posted on: 2003/12/6 0:11
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

Whether that info.'s on Smith's bio. or not, is there any evidence for it? I've never seen any, but has anyone else?

Best,

Mark.
Posted on: 2003/12/6 16:29
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I think it was an assumption, given that, 1) he said he was going to bed, 2) the lateness of the hour, and 3) the large number of people who [i:81c9870384]were[/i:81c9870384] awakened by the collision. But it's a good question, especially considering how high up on the ship his quarters were, whether, in fact, he would be woken up but such a minor jar.
Posted on: 2003/12/6 20:38

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi!

[quote:a84a4f651c]1) he said he was going to bed, [/quote:a84a4f651c]

Did he? I seem to remember him saying : 'I'll be just inside' or words to that effect. His chart room is just inside, while the bedroom was slightly further back, if I remember correctly. (I don't have the up-to-date 1912 plans with me right now.) Is there any testimony that specifically says he was going to bed?

[quote:a84a4f651c]2) the lateness of the hour, [/quote:a84a4f651c]

Fifth Officer Lowe said: '...when we sleep we die' in reference to his not being awakened by the collision but by the sound of people outside on the boat deck with lifejackets. Smith was also aware that the ship was heading into the voyage's most dangerous stage, and moving at 22275 to 23 knots through the water, and he had said he would be just inside were he required. In my view that makes it more unlikely he'd retire. While 11.40 p.m. is pretty late, a number of passengers were still up then -- and people do go to bed at funny times. Some people I know retire at 9 p.m., others 2 a.m.

[quote:a84a4f651c]3) the large number of people who were awakened by the collision[/quote:a84a4f651c]

I don't see that that is a good argument to use for the idea that Smith was asleep. He appeared on the bridge quickly and might have been awoken, but you'd be disturbed by the vibration if you're awake too -- and be ready to go and see what the matter was.

Kindest regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2003/12/7 15:58
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Mark, I did not say he was awoken, if you will look again. I said I thought these were the reasons people [i:376c042d68]assumed[/i:376c042d68] so, which is a completely different thing.
Posted on: 2003/12/7 16:14

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Teamtunafish!

I didn't mean to indicate that I thought you had said that you thought Captain Smith had been awoken, and am a little puzzled as to how you thought that. I know that you were commenting on people's assumptions and have never disputed that it is a different matter. I understand that you are explaining why you think people might have assumed that he was sleeping, and was simply commenting on my own reasoning of those points. However, my key question related to direct testimony that said Captain Smith had said he was going to bed. I am not aware of any, so I'm asking you -- and others -- are you aware of any?

Kindest regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2003/12/7 16:25
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The only thing I've ever heard was the 'just inside" comment you've already quoted, from Lightoller.
Posted on: 2003/12/7 16:36
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Pirate,
I cannot think of a reason why someone would want to sink Titanic intentionally? For insurance money, doesn't make sense to me anyway.

Only thing that would possibly cross my mind would be so that Titanic would no longer be the most luxurious and largest vessel afloat?

Betty
Posted on: 2004/2/10 18:08
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Which brings up another question - if [i:44172f17f9]Titanic[/i:44172f17f9] was insured, would it actually have been for the full replacement value? Wasn't it usually a game of "the least we can possibly spend"?
Posted on: 2004/2/11 12:27
  •  titanic over
      titanic over

From
Group:
Registered Users
It could've been sunk intensionally. Think about the book written about the Titan: that ship struck an iceberg, it didn't have enough life boats and it sunk in the atlantic. Maybe Titanic was built to teach a lesson of enough lifeboats and always keep you radio on.
Posted on: 2004/2/11 17:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.