Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06
Bruce Ismay: How do you feel?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Some have already expressed how they feel about Ismay.

"Well he ordered for the ship to go faster, hes to blame!"

First of all, the captain has the most power, it was TOTALLY up to him.

But what I'm asking about is how do you feel about Ismay getting on a lifeboat? Do you think it was a selfish act, or just an act in panic?
Posted on: 2003/12/17 3:01
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Raven
      Raven

From ..Stalker..O.o;;
Group:
Registered Users
Both.

I think it was selfish because he's the one who created Titanic, he's the one who created the ship with over 2000 passengers on it! He should've went down with the ship like Captain Smith and so many other people did!

Then, I think it was an act of panic because..we're humans. We don't really think when we're in panic. And..there was his chance to get into a lifeboat, so he took it. Heh, I would take it too...but if I was the one who created the ship, I would've gone down with it.
Posted on: 2003/12/17 12:41
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Ismay

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
If there were no other people available or willing to go into the lifeboat then I believe that it is harsh to say that anybody should stay onboard to die.
What would be the point of depriving another family of a father or another wife of a husband?
With hindesight it is obvious to us all the things that were wrong, but at that time things were different. It often takes tragedies to change peoples ideas and until a tragedy occurs we live in hope, sadly this is a human failing. :(
Posted on: 2003/12/17 22:54
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:a9818c95de="Raven"]Both.

I think it was selfish because he's the one who created Titanic, he's the one who created the ship with over 2000 passengers on it! He should've went down with the ship like Captain Smith and so many other people did!

Then, I think it was an act of panic because..we're humans. We don't really think when we're in panic. And..there was his chance to get into a lifeboat, so he took it. Heh, I would take it too...but if I was the one who created the ship, I would've gone down with it.[/quote:a9818c95de]

Do you mean created or designed? or did you mean designed by created? lol.. no matter, he designed and directed it.
Either way, I think it was selfish. I'm sure that Captain Smith and Thomas Andrews were in panic/shock.. but they stayed, and i am sure there were people very willing to get on a lifeboat, actually, positive. He may have had a family and such, but i think he shouldnt have got on one, thats just my opinion.
Posted on: 2003/12/18 2:40
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i dont think he can be classed as a villian, he helped to get women and children aboard the boats, some who would have died, if ismay hadn't intervened. and if he had gone down with the ship, nothing different would of happened, there would still have been a tremendous los of life and he still would have been blamed for the disaster, but his family would have been deprived of a loved one.
and also, he was very helpful in the inquiries, how much less information would we have if he had been killed in the sinking?
its easy for us to sit here and say "he shouldn't have got in the boat" but until you are in a situation like that, i dont think we are in a position to judge.
Posted on: 2003/12/18 15:24
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06

From
Group:
Registered Users
I just think that as he was the designer that gives him alot of responsibity, to the passengers on the ship. He designed and directed it, he put it out there, and because of that innocent people sailed on it.

I know he did not know it would sink, but..
After he found out, that should have been his responsibility to make sure every passenger that could, could get on a lifeboat, and that means filling a spot that himself was in.

If there was enough lifeboats for everyone, i wouldve cheered him on! but his place shouldve been filled by a passenger, i dont care what anyone says.
Posted on: 2003/12/19 3:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
yes but bruce was a business man, not a sailor, the captain was in charge of the ship and its passengers, and bruce ismay himself was a passenger, so therefore his place was filled by a passenger -him.
i respect your opinion, and this is just mine, 8)
Posted on: 2003/12/19 10:38
  •  Raven
      Raven

From ..Stalker..O.o;;
Group:
Registered Users
Both of you have good opinions, but I'm still sticking to mine. I think he should've found another passenger to get in the lifeboat, so many people went down with the ship. He could have..but bleh, blame his human instincs(sp?) for panicing and jumping into that lifeboat. :?
Posted on: 2003/12/19 16:36
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:98ab725017="Raven"]Both of you have good opinions, but I'm still sticking to mine. I think he should've found another passenger to get in the lifeboat, so many people went down with the ship. He could have..but bleh, blame his human instincs(sp?) for panicing and jumping into that lifeboat. :?[/quote:98ab725017]

so are you saying, just because he designed her, he should have died instead of live?
officer wilde had called for more women and children, but no-one came forward, neither did any male passengers, so what was he meant to do, walk away to die even though there was an empty seat with no-one to fill it? :shock:
raven- its good that you have your own opinion and are sticking to it, it would be a boring world if everyone agreed with each other
Posted on: 2003/12/19 20:28
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06

From
Group:
Registered Users
bess with all the people running around, do you not think there would be some woman or child that needed to get on? look how many women and children died. i think you are basing your opinion by the way it looked in the movie, when i think in real life someone couldve gotten on
Posted on: 2003/12/20 4:36
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.