Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  who's fault was it that the titanic sank?

Browsing this Thread:   219 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  30 Votes
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
You could say it was all of humankind's fault.

Walter Lord stated that the message of Tianic is her legacy of
"if onlys"

if only she had enough lifeboats
if only her compartments were higher
if only the Californian came to help
if only the Carpathia was nearer
if only they had sighted the iceberg sooner
if only she had slowed down
if only the captain recieved the last iceberg message

and so on, and so on, and so on.......

These "if onlys" apply to many different people in the story .

well put, like was saod earier (I apoligise I can not remember you name) it is all well saying this all these years later, hindsight allows us to see it from a different angel from those who experienced it at the time of which it occurd.

Martyn
Posted on: 2006/10/25 17:50
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  picard1701
      picard1701

From East Midlands
Group:
Registered Users
In My opinion it wasnt anyones fault as it wasnt an accident, but a scam to sink the totalled Olympic after its incident with H.M.S Hawke
Posted on: 2006/10/25 23:08

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TippooTib wrote:

Don't forget that Bruce Ismay regarded himself as being "just a passenger," too.

Would just like to make a final point on that. I agree, however as he was in addition to his ship business, served as a director of several other companies. Now although many of the 1st class elite where wealthy men of power, I doubt any had any of the influence he had. Ismay after all was in charge of the 'company' who paid smiths wage's. Soooooo in that respect atleast I find it unfair to compare him to the rest of the passengers, regardless of how he perceived himself on the ship.

On another note, picard, would you like to give a reason for that? Would be appreciated if you answered in one of the many (actually far tooooo many) conspiracy threads so as to not derail this thread, much apreicated.

Adios!
Posted on: 2006/10/27 17:26
  •  Downward78
      Downward78

From
Group:
Registered Users
I'm going to say the Iceberg. but that's not a person, i feel it was the radio controllers fault of the accident, second i would like to blame Harland and Wolf for using subpar materials, the hand driven rivets that failed in the hull were made of a lesser material than the steel rivets installed by the riveting machine. they were made of iron and a substance known as smat which instead of strengthening the rivets weakened them. and when the iceberg hit they popped ripped apart and the plates slid apart allowing the sea to enter the vessel, and destroy 1500 lives.

word.
Posted on: 2006/10/28 3:34
  •  Downward78
      Downward78

From
Group:
Registered Users
it may be scad......i can't recall at this point its been like a month since i saw the documentary that proved the rivets were the problem.
Posted on: 2006/10/28 3:37

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

picard1701 wrote:
In My opinion it wasnt anyones fault as it wasnt an accident, but a scam to sink the totalled Olympic after its incident with H.M.S Hawke

If you're interested in that conspiracy theory, you may like to read the following dissertation -- or at least the abstract:

Quote:
This dissertation studies the conspiracy theory published by Robin Gardiner in his 1998 book, Titanic: The Ship That Never Sank? Gardiner alleges that the Titanic and its nearly identical sistership Olympic were swapped as part of an insurance fraud, and the Olympic (posing as Titanic) was scuttled. He believes that the Olympic had been damaged enough to become an economic write off, in a collision with the cruiser HMS Hawke in 1911. As this belief is at the heart of the conspiracy theory, indeed the very reason it is alleged that the ships were swapped, I examine the available evidence surrounding the Olympic’s collision damage – from surveyors’ testimonies, to more recent technical analyses. I argue that there is no reliable evidence to indicate that the damage was worse than admitted and find Gardiner’s research lacking. I move on to discuss Gardiner’s methodology. I am critical of his text for omitting relevant information from key arguments. I also analyse a numberof examples of flawed logic in the text itself, and quote the assessments of several modern researchers who have publicly criticised Gardiner’s work. Finally, I set out to assess the issue of insurance, and to a lesser extent some of the practicalities that would have been involved in swapping the two ships. I present evidence that the Titanic was under-insured, and provide information such as the shipping company’s profits, including reports in the 1912 financial press. I conclude by arguing that the Olympic was not as badly damaged as Gardiner states; that Gardiner’s arguments and methodology are flawed; and that the Titanic’s owners would not have benefited from an insurance fraud.

Although it's written in an academic style, as necessitated, others have nevertheless enjoyed reading it.

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/DISSERTATION.htm

(You follow the link available in the above link!)

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/11/1 9:18

From
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to post a note of thanks to Achmet for his very kind words about my research.

I sincerely appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/11/1 9:24

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Downward78 wrote:
it may be scad......i can't recall at this point its been like a month since i saw the documentary that proved the rivets were the problem.

I agree that there has been some recent research into the topic of the rivets. However, while I am not commenting on that (I haven't seen the full story for myself -- just a short summary -- and don't feel qualified to), I would like to point out that Olympic's construction used precisely the same rivets and she was afloat for a quarter of a century. Occasionally, she did need rivets replacing or caulking after heavy storms, yet the same is true for all the big liners (including Mauretania) and that is not unusual. The myth that large numbers of Olympic's rivets failed and/or contributed to her being retired is just that: a myth.

That being the case, if deficiencies did contribute to rivet failure onboard Titanic that does not mean they were or would have been dangerous in normal service conditions. Quite simply, it would be an impossible standard to design these liners to: crashing into an iceberg at that speed without rivet damage would not be possible.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/11/1 9:30
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
the titanic accident is no ones falt but people can point fingures but they cant say it was the captain falt as the titanic officer at the time was murdock and captain had retired to bed and qas well it may be phillips falt as he tolled the carphia to shut up when they wer sending him an ice report as they were stuck for the night when he was working cape race in newfoundlaND WITH PASSANGER MESSAGES and we cant really point fingers at enyone for this accident so it will remain a mistery
Posted on: 2006/11/2 13:05

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

titanicboss wrote:
people can point fingures but they cant say it was the captain falt

Legally speaking, a captain is responsible for his ship. Morally is another matter.

Quote:
as the titanic officer at the time was murdock and captain had retired to bed

Murdoch was the officer on duty; I am not aware of any primary source evidence stating Smith was asleep.

Quote:
and qas well it may be phillips falt as he tolled the carphia to shut up when they wer sending him an ice report as they were stuck for the night when he was working cape race in newfoundlaND

Phillips interrupted the Californian's transmission to him. Other researchers have pointed out that Phillips was entirely right to do so as the Californian's operator had not addressed the message correctly.

Quote:
WITH PASSANGER MESSAGES and we cant really point fingers at enyone for this accident so it will remain a mistery

I agree finger pointing is not really acceptable. What we can do is come to a greater understanding of what happened by assessing the available evidence in its totality.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/11/2 13:16
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.