Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic movie
  When did you first get interested in Titanic?

Browsing this Thread:   30 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  11 Votes
Re: When did you first get interested in Titanic?

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
I was about 8 years old when I first got interested in Titanic. I still remember it like yesterday. It was 1985 when I saw a news report on tv about the discovery. I actually said " Hey! They found the Titanic! Great! Umm- What's Titanic?" Well, about 2 years later, my class was studying the ocean ( I forget who brought it up, but a classmate brought up ship). Well, memories of the discovery came to my mind, and I asked about Titanic.

Well, ever since then, I've bought countless books and video documenteries. Then I found out about Titanic (the movie from 1953), so I had to have it. To this day, I've got all the movies from Titanic (1953) to Titanic (James Cameron's movie), and I'm still collecting basically anything with Titanic or White Star Line on it! I even got Lawrence Beesley's book Loss Of The S S Titanic (copyright 1912) and even a dinner fork from the Olympic. I even had the pleasure of being a tour guide for a (traveling) Titanic exhibit in Memphis, TN, back in 1996.
Posted on: 2007/5/7 4:36
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
I first read about her in 2nd grade, then I bought a book in 4th, and then I was maybe 50% interested. When the movie came on in December I became interested. Ever since.
Posted on: 2007/5/6 23:02
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
MGY-what you wrote on the first page, I agree. The story of Jack and Rose didn't hook me. It was the action of what went on the ship. The Edwardian era of how people were treated and how commands should be taken by authority(Ismay). I didn't really feel bad for Jack either. I went to see it with my mother and my friend and his mother. When he passed on, my mother leaned over and asked me if I was alright? I was totally fine. haha. I remember people were bringing in boxes of tissues with them LOL. Anyways, he hooked up with Rose, I didn't feel too bad for him. If she had just gotten in the lifeboat like she should have....but "you jump, I jump." Damn Rose had to be stubborn....

Anyways, I saw Cameron's point. Loved ones were lost on Titanic because of people's actions based on authority and carelessness. Also, that people put too much faith in science. That's why I love ANTR, Lightoller in the lifeboat says "We were so sure, I don't think I'll ever be that sure again."

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/5 16:05
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
I want to say after the James Cameron movie I got hooked. But I think I could have been before that...possibly a TV documentary or a book. I remember in 5th grade we did a project on how cold the water was when she sank. I remember we got to put our hands in the water....it was not feeling too good. Anyways, later that year I saw the JC movie. Then I got hooked, and now I am what I am today. A Titanic nut! haha.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/5 15:57
  •  titanicfairy
      titanicfairy

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have always been interested in Titanic ever since i was young. I have watched all the movies i can find that were made about the titanic and loved every one. I don't know what it is but the tragic story of the titanic and how so many people died has gotten my interest for so many years.....Why did it happen? Could it have been prevented? Who were those people who died and survived? What were the lives like for those who did survive and their families? Why can't the titanic be raised out of its watery grave and be restored? What treasures have been found and taken from the Titanic? etc,,,,,these are just some of the many questions i hope to get answers for someday....
Posted on: 2007/5/4 12:55
  •  lisa315
      lisa315

From flordia
Group:
Registered Users
I THINK I WAS 4 OR 5. I HAVE READ MOST OF THE BOOKS
ABOUT THE TITANIC AND SEEN MOST OF THE SHOWS DONE
ON THE DISCOVERY AND HISTORY CHANNELS.
Posted on: 2007/4/15 14:44
  •  Lecoeurdelamer
      Lecoeurdelamer

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have been fascinated since I was little. I was excited when the movie came out, and I ended up seeing it five times in the theater.I have never done that, before or since.I think if this movie was still playing in a theater,people would still be going to see it.
Posted on: 2007/4/15 2:01
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I was school age (like seven) when I first got interested in it. I read about it in a kids book about large manmade stuff (don't remember the name) that had the Empire State building, the Pyramids, and other manmade objects of grandeur.

I've always had a love for models, ships and cars in particular. I've built several model ships, my favorites being the Titanic, the Missouri, and the SS United States. Each ship's box had a little story about the ship and the Titanics was always the most compelling. At one point, I dreamed of going off to work for Harland and Wolff, but my professional aspirations took me in other directions.

My first Titanic movie was actually 'Raise the Titanic', which came out in 1984, before the ship had been found. Not a blockbuster like 'Titanic' was, but an intriging movie well worth watching.

After many, many years of making Titanic references that nobody got without explanation, I was highly amused when the movie came out and everyone was talking about the great ship.

I truly enjoyed 'Titanic', as it really conveyed the sense of grandeur of the great liner. Seeing the ship brought to life in such a breathtaking way was spectacular. The movie lost a lot when watched on the small screen, but even then, it is still an impressive work.

Now, years after the movie, with nobody talking about the Titanic any longer, I still make obscure Titanic references that nobody gets without explanation

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/3/29 16:28
  •  californian
      californian

From
Group:
Registered Users
I voted other.... Back in 1970, my mom gave me a keyring that said "Captains qaurters, R.M.S. Titanic". Ever since then, I've studied everything I could find out about the Titanic. My mom was also interested in anything about the Titanic, and she passed that interest on to me.
Posted on: 2007/2/12 23:03
  •  crust2006
      crust2006

From
Group:
Registered Users
i've been into it 4 over 5 years
Posted on: 2007/2/11 21:24
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.