•  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Titanic and Sept 11th Movies

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
tinkerbell wrote:

I agree with you, i think the september 11 movies are just plain sick, yet i love titanic... i think its because people waited a while before making movies about titanic and its a way of showing people the tragdy of it. But with the september 11 movies they've hardly waited any time at all!! i mean come on people that are still around have relatives that died in that....

Actually, they did not wait a while to make the first Titanic Film.

Only about a month after the ship sank, one of its survivors, Dorthy Gibson (who was an actress), made "Saved From The Titanic".

That same year (1912), Germany made a movie called Night and Ice.

I think with Titanic we can all find meaning in the disaster. What happened to the ship was instantly realized by people in 1912 in regards to her lessons of arrogance, faith in technology, complacancy, and so forth.

In regards to the 911 attacks, we have indeed been reminded again that the unthinkable can happen, but there are other issues that are associated with it that we are to this day still trying to understand and deal with. That why I think we get very distressed watching what happend on 911. We are still trying to find meaning in the disaster, and that is somewhat uncomfortable.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/12/14 14:31
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane

From
Group:
Registered Users
There is a big differense to keep in mind...we lived through 9/11 and we watched it unfold on tv...Titanic sank almost 95 years a go and it wasn't broadcast all over the news....I don't really think it right to compare the two...they were both horrible and too many innocent lives were lost...
Posted on: 2006/12/14 14:56
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
lilcandycane wrote: There is a big differense to keep in mind...we lived through 9/11 and we watched it unfold on tv...Titanic sank almost 95 years a go and it wasn't broadcast all over the news....I don't really think it right to compare the two...they were both horrible and too many innocent lives were lost...

Yes, but although we did not actually see Titanic sink live, the world was still captivated and disturbed. Walter Lord said women comming out of broadway shows actually fainted when they heard the news.

Although there was no TV, the disaster was brodcast on news reals around the world. For months, the newspapers had front page headlines talking about the testimony of survivors at the inquiry.

Both events shocked the world, and I believe they can be compared because both disasters still imply the message that the unthinkable can happen, and when it does, we all are "re-awoken" from complacency and ignorance.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2006/12/14 15:48
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i dont know how on earethg you can represent the titanic with 9 11 as its not fair on the poor souls who are trapped on the wreak as its an grave yard nothing else its bad enouth they made a miovie of the 9/11 which is not on we may watched it on tv it was an horrible site to see like but not fair on the people who were killled in the worlds trade centre
Posted on: 2006/12/18 12:25
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
titanic boss wrote:dont know how on earethg you can represent the titanic with 9 11 as its not fair on the poor souls who are trapped on the wreak as its an grave yard nothing else its bad enouth they made a miovie of the 9/11 which is not on we may watched it on tv it was an horrible site to see like but not fair on the people who were killled in the worlds trade centre

So titanicboss, are you saying that they should not have made movies on Titanic either? Both the 911 movies and Titanic movies are capitalizing on disasters, like it or not.

When Titanic came out, I saw it with a friend and his wife. After the movie, my friends wife said she hated it because she felt that James Cameron was exploiting the deaths of all those people to make money off a movie (She felt the same way about Saving Private Ryan as well).

I tend to look past the profit part of the movie industry and find a positive aspect such as the movie is teaching or reminding the world what has happened.

As far as comparing Titanic to 911, they do have their differences of course. But they have some deep similarites. Watch Ghosts of the Abyss. Even renown Titanic historian Don Lynch found some of the emotional parallels .
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2006/12/18 18:58
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane

From
Group:
Registered Users
That may be fine...but the movie titanic was more about a fictional relationship. Where the 911 movies are true down to every detail. I think if Titanic had been broadcast as it was sinking and we saw those poor people jumping and screaming, any movie made about it would have been a little more accurate. We watched on live tv people jumping from those towers...That is a sight we will never forget. Yes the movie titanic opened some people's eyes but as a historian when i lecture i am tired of having to corret mis information picked up from the movie. I really don't see how the two can be compared.
Posted on: 2006/12/19 14:40
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
lilcandycane wrote: That may be fine...but the movie titanic was more about a fictional relationship. Where the 911 movies are true down to every detail. I think if Titanic had been broadcast as it was sinking and we saw those poor people jumping and screaming, any movie made about it would have been a little more accurate. We watched on live tv people jumping from those towers...That is a sight we will never forget. Yes the movie titanic opened some people's eyes but as a historian when i lecture i am tired of having to corret mis information picked up from the movie. I really don't see how the two can be compared.

I kind of see your point, but I don't think seeing the disaster on film would be any more compelling to tell the disaster more acurate years later.

For example, seeing old film of people dying at Pearl Harbor (film of the USS Arizona exploding into a Fireball and the rest of the U.S. Fleet being destroyed) did not make the new Pearl Harbor movie (2001) with Ben Affleck any more accurate. If anything, the movie was a discrase compared to the earlier "Tora! Tora!, Tora! movie in the 1970s.

Just like Titanic, the new Pearl Harbor movie had a fictional love story and much more artistic liscense was used to distort one of the most important dates in my country's history.

My Grandparent's generation saw those ships explode time after time in the news of the day in theaters. Yet the disaster was exploited in propaganda films, war films, and later on, even a sci-fi film, "The Philadelphia Experement".

I think sometimes (but not always), the closer to a disaster, the more acurate the filmaker is willing to make it, because they know that the public is not willing to stand much makebelieve or "artistic liscense". (that is, with the well accepted information known at the time). Not to say that the public is going to enjoy watching the real thing, as is apparent in the 911 movies.

If anything, I think future movies on 911 will have even more Hollywood in them than say Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center".

Look at Titanic. We go from a faily good story purely about Titanic and its passengers in "A Night To Remember", to Jack and Rose's story in the 1997 (not saying that ANTR was perfect either)
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2006/12/19 18:42
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.