Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:f063f57994="Will"]First my credentials; I served in the U.S. Navy, and while this does not in and of itself make me correct in everything nautical, I can say without fear of contradiction that anything made of metal that loses its watertight integrity will absolutely sink. Thus it was with the ill fated Titanic. Whether she was poorly designed, poorly captained, or a victim of poor seamanship, she still met the same fate. She remains an enigma and serves as a warning to us all not to be come arogant or complacent. The sea is a cruel taskmaster and does not excuse mistakes. Many more modern ships have also perished at sea and many more will probably meet the same end. Safety foremost should be our constant cry whenever men go down to the sea in ships.
I appreciate your allowing me to partake in what I feel is a very needed expression of interest in a distant tragedy.[/quote:f063f57994]

We have an expert, people. Welcome to the Message Board.
Posted on: 2003/9/21 3:01
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
Squall,
I thank you for your welcome aboard, however tongue in cheek it might have been. I do not claim to be a expert, and I feel that anyone that bandies that term in relation to themselves bare close scrutiny, however I do have a keen interest in maritime disasters and what we as concerned citizens can and must do to aleviate said situations.
That being said, allow me to compliment the postings that I have read as to their general content and the obvious ability of your members to disagree agreeably. I enjoy the exchange of information and ideas and will happily supply any information that I have or can access, just ask!
Thanks again for allowing me to access and share with you.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/22 16:53
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
who's fault

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
Will,
I am also new and have had feed back from Squall that I am certain is genuine, although I'm sure he can speak for himself :)
With regards to your claim to not being 'an expert' it doesn't matter. Someone with naval experience like yourself I'm sure can give useful feedback to this forum. :)
Posted on: 2003/9/23 1:31
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
The Foxes,
Like the Beatles said, ... 'We're all doing what we can ...'. I caught the thread for exposing our true ages, and posted, and possibly I may be the oldest posting at this time, but as I said there, it does my heart good to see the interest of our younger folks in matters of historical importance. Keep your family well, and God Bless.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/23 15:32
  •  Squall
      Squall
Re: who's fault

Group:
Registered Users
[quote:1b771d669d="The Foxes"]Will,
I am also new and have had feed back from Squall that I am certain is genuine, although I'm sure he can speak for himself :)
With regards to your claim to not being 'an expert' it doesn't matter. Someone with naval experience like yourself I'm sure can give useful feedback to this forum. :)[/quote:1b771d669d]

My name has echoed twice :o I am soooo popular now :)

I was being genuine when I welcomed you both. We need more people that will post relevant things. Keep it up.
Posted on: 2003/9/23 22:17
  •  Silja
      Silja

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
To Mark Chirnside:

Hi! Regarding the point of the reversed engines, it's actually the first time I've heard that it is not at all established whether Murdoch had the engines reversed. As far as I know no book I've read has referred to these apparent contradicting statements you mentioned (from Boxhall and those survivors from the engine room). I'm only surprised nobody seems to have mentioned this . . . .
You refer to the British Inquiry as a source. I haven't studied the British Inquiry very thoroughly I must confess. What were the conclusions the American Inquiry came to regarding this matter? What was the order given by Murdoch according to the engine room?

Thanks, and regards,
Silja
Posted on: 2003/9/23 22:38
  •  singerangel181
      singerangel181

From columbus ga usa
Group:
Registered Users
i tought this was a site for gurl and not boyz but o well
Posted on: 2003/9/24 4:49
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:3590302b7a="singerangel181"]i tought this was a site for gurl and not boyz but o well[/quote:3590302b7a]

this is a site for anyone with a interest in Titanic, whether they're girls, boys, young or old.
why did you think it was just for girls? :?:
Posted on: 2003/9/24 12:40
  •  Squall
      Squall

Group:
Registered Users
[quote:e28d557ac9="bess"][quote:e28d557ac9="singerangel181"]i tought this was a site for gurl and not boyz but o well[/quote:e28d557ac9]

this is a site for anyone with a interest in Titanic, whether they're girls, boys, young or old.
why did you think it was just for girls? :?:[/quote:e28d557ac9]

I'm a little disturbed too :?
Posted on: 2003/9/24 22:19

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

A quick reply. Hungover.

[quote:2b2d977b05]... it's actually the first time I've heard that it is not at all established whether Murdoch had the engines reversed. As far as I know no book I've read has referred to these apparent contradicting statements you mentioned (from Boxhall and those survivors from the engine room). .
... What were the conclusions the American Inquiry came to regarding this matter? What was the order given by Murdoch according to the engine room? [/quote:2b2d977b05]

I am running from memory. The fact that the engines might not have been reversed is obvious from reading the primary sources. Yet books go with Boxhall because he was an officer and apparently a credible witness.

Lord Mersey once said during the enquiry: 'were they reversed' or something like that and it was suggested that it was a possibility.

I believe he ordered 'stop.'

Best,

Mark.
Posted on: 2003/9/25 12:53
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.